Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14 Model 3 within 200 miles of me (middle of Orange County, CA).. intrestingly, 12 of the 14 are Red SR+ and 2 are Black AWD. Maybe the $2000 cost for Red paint stings a bit too much for those looking for an SR+
Massive inventory within 200 miles of Miami, two that’s 2 , once again 2.
2 cars , two cars .

0 inventory Model 3’s(of any spec) available within 200 miles of my location(SF Bay Area). Down from 27 on Monday and 4 yesterday.

Have you gone to a store? Friend of mine walked in to the Stanford Shopping Mall on Friday morning and had his blue LR that afternoon. Got a nice discount, too.

Tesla builds their own inventory management software, so wouldn't be surprised if there were some bugs. Most of their software talent is probably focused on the Model Y or Autopilot right now.

Reactions: neroden and erha
OT

Sideswiped in NYC about ten days ago in my Model 3P-. Was in left lane on two lane merge ramp to the Whitestone Expressway. Honda in right lane directly next to me decided that I was not there and proceeded into my car, bounced and then came back for a second try. We locked up for bit, came to a safe stop and them pulled over at the median ahead. He accepted all responsibility.

I am writing this because even if he hadn't, the TeslaCam had recorded everything perfectly. I remembered to touch the icon after we pulled over so the previous ten minutes were saved in impressive fashion. The playback is high quality. Also the car was rock solid. Even with the Honda leaning on me I felt in control and was able to keep the lane and not smash into the barrier on my left. He was all shook up and trembling. I for some reason was not. Just very unhappy over the potential of losing my car for a protracted period of time for repairs.

Went to Tesla Body Shop in LIC because my experiences with the Tesla Certified shops in the area have left me unsatisfied. Thankfully the car has no mechanical issues whatsoever and I am driving it as I wait for them to sort the insurance and get back to me. Speaking of which I should probably touch base with them...

Anyway, random data point for you all.

Basically, if it’s relevant to Tesla and more than a few hours old, it’s been posted here.
Even if it's been posted, it should be re-posted. Every Tesla investor should see it. It shows in the most dramatic terms possible the huge disconnect between what the world understands about Tesla's technology and what Elon believes 'has objectively occurred'. Elon is as sure as he can be that, for all practical purposes, Tesla has solved Level 5 FSD, and the rest is just details.

Mark my words: the more an investor believes this statement, the more unreasonable their (positive) rate of return will be over the next 10 years.

Have you gone to a store? Friend of mine walked in to the Stanford Shopping Mall on Friday morning and had his blue LR that afternoon. Got a nice discount, too.

Am I late to the party? Has Tesla been discounting inventory 3’s already? Or did your friend buy a model 3 that was configured before some of the past pricing/model changes? Because that would make it seem like a discount.

I know I'm not the only one wondering when, not if, Tesla will unveil their own cell lines. We know how much they obsess over vertical integration. Their problems with Panasonic will only accelerate the push to in-house this last key element.

Wouldn't be surprised if Grohmann is working on it right now.

Seems like just the other day Musk and Straubel were in awe of the Panasonic machines that spat out cells at machine gun speed. Late last year we heard about the newer machines that were 50% faster. If the 30% scrap rate is true, something went horribly wrong. Surely the quick fix is to zero in on that something and rectify it. Tesla don’t want to get a reputation for “doing over” suppliers.

I know I'm not the only one wondering when, not if, Tesla will unveil their own cell lines. We know how much they obsess over vertical integration. Their problems with Panasonic will only accelerate the push to in-house this last key element.

Wouldn't be surprised if Grohmann is working on it right now.

It just so happens that Grohmann has extensive experience making Li-ion battery cell production lines for automotive - here is one they made for Toyota:

http://www.maynards.com/media/components/ams/events/AAKRR101315/LiTec-Expose_compressed.pdf

Last edited:
Am I late to the party? Has Tesla been discounting inventory 3’s already? Or did your friend buy a model 3 that was configured before some of the past pricing/model changes? Because that would make it seem like a discount.

Person goes to A) a store, and B) gets a discount. E.g. they bought a floor model. That's almost invariably what these sort of stories turn out to be.

Worth noting that Zach commented during the CC that now they are filling all ships (which wasn’t always the case in Q1), so it is possible that they are not behind Q1 in total cars shipped.

Right, I was too quick when I wrote this posting, since also the domestic delivery numbers could be different (e.g. higher) than for the same part of Q1.

I wish I had kept it at: It's too early to conclude anything.

Reactions: neroden
Person goes to A) a store, and B) gets a discount. E.g. they bought a floor model. That's almost invariably what these sort of stories turn out to be.

Interesting.
The Stanford store that the above person was mentioning is in the middle of an outdoor mall. There’s a couple cars on the showroom floor and maybe a few for test drives (from what I remember last time). It’s not like a sales and service location that has stocks of cars sitting around if I’m not mistaken. I didn’t know you can just pluck one of those at any time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
The trade-off in Auto vs Storage applications is power density vs cycle life. Telsa uses NCA chemistry in its auto applications for its superior power density and faster recharging rates. Tesla uses NMC chemistry for energy storage products like Powerwall and Powerpack for its superior life span (number of charge/recharge cycles to a given loss of capacity).

Why Tesla's grid batteries will use two different chemistries

"An NCA battery typically has a shorter cycle life and a higher energy density (and less stability). ... But an NMC battery also typically has a lower cost of energy because of the ability of an NMC battery to cycle with more stability than an NCA battery" (May 18, 2015)​

Fair enough.

Still, given the demand for stationary electricity storage a sub-optimal use still seems preferable to a conversion to scrap.

PS. Especially if your scrap rate is 30%. :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: RobStark