Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
em, last year, said cap raise was possible, likely in 2019, and that he specifically didn’t want to do it in 2018

not a huge fan of over optimism/pessimism either - if anything, i wish we talked about more trading analysis stuff here. i do like truly informative posts and analysis about upcoming products, competition, the industry, etc. i like the information discovery here, but that’s mostly sporadic at this point.

and we don’t talk about market action or delve into it much

there’s a lot of ground to cover when you’re away a few days. and it’s not easy to find relevant posts (unless you ignore, which i don’t, but maybe have to start??)

the goal of the trolls was to destroy this forum. have they done so? i don’t know. i was away from day to day for a few months. now i can’t tell who they are.
We need a trading/short term investment thread back again. Many don't have any interest in that, as is obvious with this general thread, but some of us do. With a general thread, it's very frustrating not to be able to focus on short term stock movements during market hours. There is only one solution and that's to create the thread. Perhaps it could be very limited to stock movement to keep a very active general thread as well?

RIght. If I realize that a post of mine is redundant, I delete it (as such) if I can.

Also, when wanting to reply I open a separate tab for the reply and read on a bit, so see if others have already written the same, in which case I just close the tab.

Keeping the reading tab separate from the writing ones also makes it easier to not lose track, since after posting reopening the thread brings one to one's own post which can be pages ahead of where the reading got to.

Assuming you always quote someone, you can get back to where you were by clicking the red up arrow on the post you quoted (after you submit).

Every single driver is distracted. There isn't a single person on the road that isn't tired, listening to music, thinking about their day, worrying about their family, mad at some guy that cut them off, eating something etc. FSD doesn't need to be better than you are your best, it needs to be better than you at your average.
Spansk on Twitter
shame the swerving driver who ran into the tesla wasn't using autopilot or FSD. RIP.

Still extremely valuable experience.

I feel 100% confident they will be making their own cell lines.

1) Fast optimization without having to deal with a slow moving / irrational partner
2) Avoids giving away secrets both in chemistry and production methods
3) Huge cost savings

Quid pro quo. Panasonic will feel that Tesla have stolen their IP, if a Grohmann cell machine looks anything like a Panasonic cell machine. Car seats are one thing. Cylindrical cell making could be a much longer learning curve. I don’t see there is time for that. Unless Panasonic actually make their machine from commodity components.

This is my thought process:

On average one accident every 2 million miles (today the number is already better than that when using autopilot, assume this will continue to improve in the future, autopilot/FSD will get better, and people will drive more autopilot miles,).

Assume all accidents are Tesla driver's fault (in reality some accidents are caused by the other driver's).

Assume on average insurance payout for each accident is $100k (some accidents should cost much less). Down the road Tesla can fix Tesla cars in their own shop and reduce cost.

Average mileage per car per year 14k miles.

For 1000 cars insured, the premium is $1.8m (using your $1800/year number).

These cars will drive 14 million miles in a year, get 7 accidents. The payout should be $0.7m. So roughly 50% combined ratio. That's $900 cash retained from each car each year. This cash can be re-invested indefinitely, in the end the $900 and all the investment gain all belongs to the insurance company. In the long run, the company could earn $4000 from this one car in one year, isn't that crazy? it could happen because of the investment gains in the next few decades. So insurance business is truly an amazing business if you can get nice combined ratio and as long as the chief investment officer doesn't mess up. Many CIO/CEOs of insurance businesses do mess up sooner or later (see AIG in 2008), but these three stand out: Lou Simpson, Tom Gayner, Warren Buffett. There are a few other good ones, but they may not have seen the real tests yet.

I bet having 50% combined ratio never happened in history, reaching 90% would be a dream business. Tesla is in a unique position to make this happen while also help the car owners with lower rate.

In real world, only a small portion of accidents happen on year one, so there is additional investment gain before payout. If the average accident/payout happens on 4th year, you may gain additional 10% before the payout. That $90 extra gain from each car can turn into significant amount in the long run.

The above is one of the 2 reasons why Berkshire Hathaway stock price grew from $15 to $320,000. It's also why MKL grew from $8.33 to $1061. If Tesla can make the insurance business happen, the potential of that insurance unit is as big as the car business (not counting the Tesla Network). Because when you look back in 30 years, you only get $10k by selling each car (then you have to take care of all sorts of problems, then you have to use that $10k to buy more equipments); on the other hand, you earn $9k by insuring that car for 10 years, plus that $9k turns into $36k in 20 years if you get 7% gain per year, a balanced index approach would give you that result.
Time will tell. If indeed Tesla claims losses are lower, other insurance companies will also price similarly to Tesla insurance which will force Tesla to reduce premium. Tesla still will have advantage but it will shrink over time.

Reactions: neroden
Quid pro quo. Panasonic will feel that Tesla have stolen their IP, if a Grohmann cell machine looks anything like a Panasonic cell machine. Car seats are one thing. Cylindrical cell making could be a much longer learning curve. I don’t see there is time for that. Unless Panasonic actually make their machine from commodity components.

I'd be shocked if Tesla didn't start designing cell lines at least five years ago. Knowing Musk I'm guessing they started from scratch with no assumptions - certainly not copying what Panasonic has done.

Really? Was that Tesla maybe a CPO or a demo car/loaner? Because Tesla famously does not give "a nice discount".

Discount is probably the wrong word. He was on the fence between SR+ and LR. Tesla store gave him the white interior upgrade and Blue color for free if he went with the LR (which he did).

All of the options he was considering (4 - SR+ black, LR black, SR+ blue, and LR blue/white) were available for same day delivery.

(Insurance)

I think the best argument behind Tesla offering insurance is more for the Uber-Esk service. Technically if you are driving for Uber and your insurance company finds out, they will drastically raise your rates. With Tesla insurance it should all be above board and part of Tesla’s fee (hopefully) if you opt for it. They could even offer an interior special premium for damage done on the inside by riders.

Time will tell. If indeed Tesla claims losses are lower, other insurance companies will also price similarly to Tesla insurance which will force Tesla to reduce premium. Tesla still will have advantage but it will shrink over time.

Tesla can predict how much safer their cars will get down the road, other insurance can't.
Tesla knows who are the crazy drivers, other insurance don't know.
Tesla can fix their own cars in their own bodyshops and service centers with high efficency (coming), other insurance can't.

If Tesla indeed decides to get into this business, the moat will be very wide. I don't know how other insurance can compete. We will see.

I have been following the Tesla story for some time. I am a recenty retired pilot for Fed-Ex so I am well acquainted with most overseas locations Tesla sells cars. I can see rudeness continues to dog New Yorkers like yourself. ;)

tom-hanks-reunited-with-wilson.jpg

Wilson!!

Even if it's been posted, it should be re-posted. Every Tesla investor should see it. It shows in the most dramatic terms possible the huge disconnect between what the world understands about Tesla's technology and what Elon believes 'has objectively occurred'. Elon is as sure as he can be that, for all practical purposes, Tesla has solved Level 5 FSD, and the rest is just details.

Elon maybe sure that Tesla has solved FSD, but he/Tesla still needs to convince the rest of the world about that.
IMHO, what they will release (eventually) as "feature completed FSD" will barely satisfy the SAE level 3 definition.
See this post for more details why I do not think they can even get to level 5 with the current hardware equipment even with any amount of software improvements.

BTW, Tesla is already more than 11 years behind to be first to achieve "human driver sleeping in the back" level full self driving:
;):D

The P&D report said: "US orders for Model 3 vehicles significantly outpaced what we were able to deliver in Q1." So we know US in-transit was pretty high. Also, European April sales indicate they had perhaps 2k in transit at end of Q1. China might have had a few, as usual it's a black box.

I'd estimate 8k US in transit at end of Q1.
In the ER they specifically said the 3 inventory in US was "2 weeks of sales". So, you are probably close - may be 10k, if we assume 60k/quarter sales with 50% in US.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
The P&D report said: "US orders for Model 3 vehicles significantly outpaced what we were able to deliver in Q1." So we know US in-transit was pretty high.
Actually... that statement would include orders which weren't even manufactured yet at the end of Q1 and therefore weren't inventory.

Also, European April sales indicate they had perhaps 2k in transit at end of Q1.
Karen guessed 3K Europe, more in China. I think her methodology makes sense.

China might have had a few, as usual it's a black box.

I'd estimate 8k US in transit at end of Q1.
I'd estimate 3k-4k.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
In the ER they specifically said the 3 inventory in US was "2 weeks of sales".
What a wonderfully vague statement. Sales fluctuate wildly, with orders being very high just after prices are reduced or a new product is introduced and very low just after a tax credit expires. 2 weeks of *production* would be the entire inventory overhang, 10,000 (seems wrong, given there was definitely European overhang), but 2 weeks of sales could be ANYTHING.