Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can Tesla delay revenue/profit from Q4 to Q1? Q1 is the critical one due to cars in transit for several weeks not generating revenue, so if all quarters forward are to be profitable, delaying revenue from Q4 to Q1 seems sensible and it would contribute to Q4 being less than Q3.
Maybe by focusing on US deliveries instead of higher ASP EU/CN deliveries. Oh wait...

It's a good thing, but the SR being available would be a better thing. As I read the memo, they need the SR to sell the volume to fill the line.

Always value your take on things. I agree with the interpretation of "need the SR to sell the volume to fill the line"... However, I find it particularly puzzling that Tesla chose to remove 75kWh models for S and X. Do they not need them to sell the volume to fill the line? What's their reasoning behind such a counter-intuitive move?

So the drop here is for Q1 when he says they "target a tiny profit" via high profit versions of Model 3 to Europe. Correct?

Q4 results should be not too far off from Q3.
Q1 will have more delay of turning costs into revenue with the delay on production to sale with overseas sales. Not sure how much longer it takes to get a 3 into customers hands when the vehicle needs to go on a boat and go through customs at destination(s). What routes do cars built in Fremont take to get to Europe?

Reactions: neroden
Always value your take on things. I agree with the interpretation of "need the SR to sell the volume to fill the line"... However, I find it particularly puzzling that Tesla chose to remove 75kWh models for S and X. Do they not need them to sell the volume to fill the line? What's their reasoning behind such a counter-intuitive move?

It's been discussed before. 75kWh was quite low margin; the huge increase in cost to the 100kWh was almost all profit (only $4k or so worth of cells). Removing the 75kWh either lets them make a far more competitive priced 100kWh be their low-margin S/X, or alternatively lets them have (far) higher margins at lower volumes.

Remember that every year the addressable EV market grows by leaps and bounds. Maintaining constant sales volumes only requires selling to an increasingly small fraction of buyers.