Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the CNBC interview of Chamath Palihapitiya with Wapner, I need to understand whether CNBC originally offered an online video including this portion of the interview or if they never published it at all and the video we see came from recording the TV version of the video. This is for a project I'm working on

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I sense a chapter on media manipulation coming.

More good news for @neroden and anyone else in Central or Western NY... this was posted earlier today by the founder of our local fb EV group:

"More good news, now I’m hearing that Rochester is getting a Tesla service center as well. :)"

It's not on the Tesla site yet. I'll try to confirm tomorrow with Tesla Mobile Service.
It's not official yet, but the Tesla mobile guy confirmed there will be a service center opening soon in Rochester NY.

FYI they charged me $62.50 to rotate the tires, but he said the price is going up to $80+ soon. They charged $58.50 to replace the wiper blades. I was able to pay over the phone so I did not have to go outside at all.

Hey guys, https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ has what you crave.
Global New Model Inventory:
651 S
84 3
294 X

If that is an actual read on inventory it looks like Tesla is doing fairly well. BTW the 3 was above 300 on Friday I think so that seems to be a sign demand is outpacing production. I think the same goes for the X. The S seems to be not selling as well. But I don't know, this data could be as useless as VINs.
Very low on inventory. Just 2 days of 3 sales ! X is less than a week and S is less than 2 weeks.

I guess it will take a while to really fill the pipeline.

Reactions: BornToFly
Well, the following is rather interesting, quote:
The estimated 4,188,200 unsold vehicles on April 1 was the highest [US] inventory number for any month since that reported for July 1, 2017, and just 114,300 vehicles less than the modern-day record set in May 2004, according to the Automotive News Data Center.
Source autonews | April 29, 2019: Near-record inventories pinch dealers

They exclude Tesla but based on the number the article gives, it would have had the lowest number of unsold vehicles of all shown manufacturers.

I was curious after seeing this post so I called. Their rates are hot garbage. They quoted me $7860 per year with ever so slightly worse coverage. I am currently paying $1820. Meaning with slightly inferior coverage, the Tesla recommended Liberty Mutual product is 4.3x more expensive for me.

I'm hopeful that whatever they are working on is better than this.. because this is truly appalling.

Representative: "How many accidents were you involved with in the past 5 years?"
Tenable: "Yes"

I apologize, this is off topic, but anybody know why LYFT is up almost 5% today when the only news I see for them is their failure to overturn NYC's minimum wage law? Is LYFT's increase somehow correlated to Tesla's cash raise in some way that I don't know of?

EDIT: Every once in awhile, when Tesla has major news I check in on LYFT as well because I'm curious to see if positive Tesla news affects LYFT stock price detrimentally. The way I see it, as soon as that starts happening signifies when people have started to believe that Tesla Robotaxis are a possibility.

Last edited:
Management’s projections of MS sales for 2019 may be too rosy, which will negatively impact profitability and cash flow from what they are projecting.

They may be too rosy— we’ll have to see how the improvements on range, efficiency, and suspension play out.

Demand for S/X is fungible— if people buy 5k fewer S & 5k more X, it makes no real difference to the company. I’d love to see another vehicle that can make use of the 18650 batteries that S/X use— Elon’s cyberpunk niche truck could work for this, as could the Roadster. The important thing is that they match or exceed the revenue & profit of the S/X.

I think most people are assuming they’ll use the 2170 batteries for the Truck & Roadster— and they probably will— but if they are supply constrained on 2170 batteries & have an available supply of 18650 batteries, it might be wise to use them in another small-production vehicle. 5k Roadsters with 200 kWH packs would replace 10k Model S with 100 kWH packs. Likewise, 6700 Trucks with 150kWH packs would replace 10k Model S with 100 kWH packs.

I haven’t heard any rumors that either vehicle is ready to be produced this year, which is a shame. It’d be a perfect weapon to have at the ready. Of course, Tesla is pretty good about keeping secrets (see the Roadster reveal), so I hope these vehicles are closer to production than anyone realizes.

PS— 12 pages behind right now, so apologies in advance.

I was also happy and concerned to see this. However, I was shocked when I saw the news today that Tesla will not allow payment for an upgrade. My assumption is they are waiting for confirmation that there will be no legal blow back for doing so. But it makes the proposition unpalatable for now.
You need to pay for an upgrade only if you buy SR-, right. I expect Tesla was concerned how government would like at upgrade as part of the system gaming. Also Tesla doesn't want us really to buy SR-. They would give us SR+ at $CAD 8,700 (53,700-44,999) discount in the hope we buy upgrade?

No, much better to push us into SR+ and no headache for them.

Existence of $CAD44,999 vas important just to qualify higher trim of SR+, it didn't have to be an appealing offer, based on initial rules
As I understand news reporting, rules changed, or are about to change so that $45K limit is abolished and anything under $55K qualifies, so $44,999 (SR-) variant can be scraped. Now that there is a $5K incentive they don't even have to go back to regular SR offering at all. Today you get SR+ for the price of the SR yesterday. Literally. I just renewed my S60 add on trader.ca

FSD is certainly not a "bet the farm" project once you have the hardware, which they do. The rest is just a relatively few employees creating the software and checking the data. It's about the least expensive project I can think of--the way Tesla does it, anyway.
Eh, you sound like many of my ex-bosses: 'It's only software'.
Good software is incredibly expensive to write.
Incredibly, shockingly expensive.
Which is actually Tesla's advantage as it will be hard for others to catch them.

Proxy voting starting. Need some recommendations on a few:
  1. Election of Class III Director: Ira Ehrenpreis
  2. Election of Class III Director: Kathleen Wilson-Thompson
Anyone know anything about these two?

4. Tesla proposal to approve and adopt amendments to certificate of incorporation and bylaws to eliminate applicable supermajority voting requirements

This seems as if it could take away protection for Elon, and give the shorts more power.

5. Tesla proposal to approve amendment to certificate of incorporation to reduce director terms from three years to two years

Could cause more disruptions with frequent changes.

Thoughts?

With other companies I usually vote for directors as a whole, the named accountant, and against most other board sponsored recommendations, especially compensation schemes, unless I happen to know more. With Tesla the one exception, I voted for all board recommendations. Not a well informed opinion on specifics for Tesla, but based on evidence from your smarter than my posts here, I have more confidence in the company than what we do here because they have better information.

If an investor is trying to do close tracking of Tesla's inventory as part of validating their investment I think the better answer is to sell your holding and invest in a company you believe can execute. Because relying on a weak proxy (like current inventory) is misleading at best as it gives no insight into why the numbers are what they are. Did Tesla just produce a large batch of S's that haven't all been taken? Were the last batch of 3's produced predominantly for a foreign market so there is a shortfall in inventory of 3's? Or some less obvious reason?

Without inside information the new model inventory is -- at best -- a glimpse into how lumpy the production/delivery interface is.

Kind of. You can judge by the rate of decrease to see some minimum level of demand. If you track VINs, you can get a much better indicator of demand with it.

Southern California (200 miles of 92708)
89 Model S
28 Model X
11 Model 3 (there were 14 Model 3s yesterday)

Can we stop quoting these silly numbers? They are just what Tesla is willing to show you and in no way tell you anything about the real inventory. In fact, a few weeks ago Tesla went out of its way to make it harder for real inventory trackers to do their job. Which is why they now, too, are out of step with reality.