Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recent change in Tesla Solar pricing has some good implications, I got my Solar system 3 years ago , at the time I had quote from solar city, their pricing was bit higher, but recent changes will be highly competitive price, $1.99 after 30% federal credit, in NJ one could get it slightly cheaper price from competitors around $1.80 ,I have generic panels on my roof, they work ok but production could be inconsistent at a time, so good quality brand panels generation would be better,If Tesla panels are panasonic quality panel , slightly higher price is worth it.

If Tesla do a good job , they will have ok to good margin on this business for several reason, they make their own inverter, hopefully margin on panels they make will be ok in the beginning then with higher production improving margin. less warranty cost for better quality panels.

Last edited:
Just a brief update on the prospects on the Model 3 tow bar:

1) I mailed the Munich Tesla Store to get a written confirmation that the Model 3 I ordered would subsequently get an optional tow bar retrofit (in return for payment, naturally). I got a blank denial, to the point that the person could not even acknowledge that I had placed my order from within the store, using their laptop.

So it's fine for me if Elon Musk goes ahead and closes all Tesla Stores and instead spends on Service Centers.

2) On a more positive note, someone (over on the Danish Tesla Forum) has noticed what appears to be official Dutch Tesla Model 3 registrations approved for towing, up 910 kg with brakes and up to 750 kg without brakes, for a total combined mass of up to either 3090 kg (for one vehicle) or 3215 kg (for the others).
In order to find these registrations, one has to open this page:
https://opendata.rdw.nl/en/Typegoedkeuring/Open-Data-RDW-Basisgegevens-EEG-Uitvoering/wx3j-69ie/data
- click on the 'Filter', create one for the column 'EU Type goedkeuringssleutel' (EU type approval key), which must contain the string 'e4*07/46*1293*02'.

That filter returns 8 registrations, all from 2019-03-18, 4 of which have the above weight information.

Additional comments on this would be appreciated.
Same for me, neither Toronto or Montreal stores wanted to talk about a possible Tesla towing package and STRONGLY recommended that I do NOT install an aftermarket one. A chat on the phone with a representative of Tesla headquarter even told me that it could void warranty.

Saw 3 carriers full of Model 3's heading toward SF this morning. Curiously they had 18" rims without the aero caps installed.

OMG what if the cap raise is to pay for aero caps only? #TSLAQlogic

Don’t be silly. Those things are plastic, right? The cars are being driven off the pier. Tesla is being environmentally conscience by not dumping extra plastic into the ocean.

Same for me, neither Toronto or Montreal stores wanted to talk about a possible Tesla towing package and STRONGLY recommended that I do NOT install an aftermarket one. A chat on the phone with a representative of Tesla headquarter even told me that it could void warranty.

No, it is not the same.

As reported here on Saturday, a Tesla employee in the Munich Tesla Store told me that the Model 3 could have a tow bar retrofitted after delivery, by Tesla, that it would be in the official registration papers (and that the modification to the vehicle would be simple).

I was also happy and concerned to see this. However, I was shocked when I saw the news today that Tesla will not allow payment for an upgrade. My assumption is they are waiting for confirmation that there will be no legal blow back for doing so. But it makes the proposition unpalatable for now.

source? and dont quote fred

Hey @KarenRei, I'm coming to Iceland for a visit next month. Want that I should slip a Model 3 in my carry-on for you? :)
Also, ordered the new long range S 100 to replace my 2016 75D. I really didn't need to. But I really don't care.

Unless you want FSD.

If $TSLA was at $420 today as I expected I would be able to convince my wife to take tesla up on their buy back price offer for our 2016 X90D and get into a current 100D, but alas...

Hey @KarenRei, I'm coming to Iceland for a visit next month. Want that I should slip a Model 3 in my carry-on for you? :)
Also, ordered the new long range S 100 to replace my 2016 75D. I really didn't need to. But I really don't care.

Can you slip in a delivery/service centre in your carry-on? ;)

Congrats on the new S - that's a serious upgrade! And yeah, if there's anything I can do to help with your trip here, just let me know!

Paging @KarenRei Seems like Tesla has opened up 5 job positions in Iceland. Search for Jobs | Tesla Europe

Yeah, I didn't write about it over in this thread, but I did post on the former-M3OC about it :)

I'm still not positive about where on Krókháls 13 it's going to be (there's a couple candidates), but I visit daily :) There's a lot where they've been digging and filling (not sure whether there's going to be a building there or not); there appears to be an empty room and garage attached to the Kia dealership; and there might be some possibilities in the other dealership buildings, but nothing stands out.

I think you misunderstood me. I was trying to say the overly aggressive goals should stay within the company walls, not the other way around.

I didn't write that properly.

If Tesla has aggressive goals that motivates employees.

If Tesla has aggressive private goals but soft public goals there are no real repercussions for the company and stock of not meeting the aggressive goals.

The public goals are the real goals. Hence the aggressive private goals are not motivating.

Unless you fire people for not meeting the private goals, kill bonuses or some other personnel repercussion.

For those telling me how deluded I am that FSD is the next bet the company, this is exactly what I had in mind when I said it.

To be fair, during the autonomy investor day Q&A, Elon did say that the FSD program is basically Tesla’s entire expense budget. Although, that never showed to be the case in the latest financial report.

Keep in mind the entire event was centered on the investment community. While bet the company may be a little bit of a reach, the point is this is the next big thing they are working on.

I’m sure it takes a little more work than two coders in the back corner office drinking Soylent to solve.

Last edited:
if Elon is so deluded on FSD that he's gonna bet the company on it, then I hope he makes it clear ASAP because frankly he is not credible in the least when it comes to autonomy.

But I think he's smarter than that and it's just one part of the plan. Company will not be worse off if they can't set up robotaxis.

Also you have Jobs's views on hoarding cash wrong.

Are you driving on an HW2.0 or later vehicle? I ask as I want to know if you have first hand experience with AP.

Thanx

Fire Away,