Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets assume this to be correct i.e. each 9 needs fixed number of scenarios to be solved. Then, we still the question - how can this be solved exponentially quicker.

Something to keep in mind: when you talk about improvement in accuracy, which is on a 0-100% scale, the most useful thing to look at is %error reduction, because the increase is necessarily asymptotic to 100(and 0). Going from 50% to 90% accuracy is far and away less significant than going from 90% to 99%(the former being a 40% reduction in errors and the latter being a 90% reduction in errors). Once you hit 90% accuracy, each additional 9 on the end gets you another 90% error reduction.

All of this means that if you’re adding 9’s with linear increases in data, the function from data to error reduction is already exponential(specifically, remaining error conditions follows 0.1^n, where n is your iterations of new data)

OT :
Lets assume this to be correct i.e. each 9 needs fixed number of scenarios to be solved. Then, we still the question - how can this be solved exponentially quicker.

I think it's all a matter of perspective. If you are looking at probability of no accident per mile and it takes you 12 months to solve every 9, then it looks like you are getting diminishing returns for the same amount of human work hours. However, if you are looking at average number of miles driven without an accident/disengagement, this is increasing 10x for every 12 months (with a fixed number of developers and annotators).
Also note that I'm just talking about the benefits of new data and upgraded driving policy here. Part of the exponential growth is also that on top of this data set improvement, Tesla also has a 10-20x improvement in computing power to play with. In the next year Tesla will have a new benefit from scaling up the size and scale of their neural nets (but with largely the same data set as before) to take advantage of their new FSD computer. Rather than solving individual scenarios, this neural net size upgrade should broadly reduce the individual error rate on every single scenario at the same time by increasing granular object detection accuracy.

We don't know what 9 Tesla is currently working on, but I think they are just now transitioning from building the FSD capability building blocks and data infrastructure towards tackling the march of 9s. At Waymo, we at least have some data to look at. If we re-write Waymo's disengagement/mile numbers into probability of no disengagement per mile, they were at 99.991% in 2018, which improved from 99.94% in 2015. So they solved close to one 9 in three years while using a lot of hardware and 3D maps crutches. This isn't really the probability of no accident per mile because 1) not all disengagements would have led to an accident and 2) Waymo's numbers are distorted by heavy geofencing, restricted weather conditions, and discretion to not report disengagements if the human driver took over voluntarily. But ignoring this, this compares to human driving accidents of 1 every 436k miles - equivalent to 99.9998%. So Waymo is very crudely about two 9s from matching the average human. But with Waymo's strategy, every 9 will take 10x higher investment in fleet size, 10x higher investment in safety drivers and 10x higher central computing costs (because unlike Tesla, Waymo downloads every second of sensor data and later filters centrally).

This is the difference between Tesla's strategy and everyone else's. Tesla is set up to solve every 9 in a flat number of months on a flat budget. For everybody else, every new 9 requires scaling investment c.10x. Tesla has very carefully structured its strategy such that none of its R&D costs scale exponentially.

Last edited:
It's a missed opportunity to not use the supercredits by having more manufacturers in the pool. Super credits are good for 7.5 gm/km reduction per manufacturer.

For instance they could add PSA and someone like maybe BMW to the pool. They can figure a figure a formula to split the avoided fines and come out better. I would be very very surprised if FCA is the only manufacturer in the pool for 2020.
I’m not following your thinking, I guess. The value of each ZEV would be about the same, but you would be splitting it over a bigger pool.

If Tesla could supply all the cars needed to get everyone into compliance, then yeah, the more the better. But for a fixed export capability, you would want the pool just big enough to get into compliance. If you believe that Tesla could get 190,000 cars to the EU in 2020, then ~912,000 is about the right number of ICE in the pool.

Am I missing something?

With the previous convertible there seemed to be a cap in place at round the conversion price, we touched $360 area multiple times but never really breached it. Wondering if that was real and if that cap was related to the convertible and if so, will we see the same kind of long-term cap again with this convertible? But then again, the 2018 convertible sailed right through it's conversion price.

I think @Cosmacelf pointed out a key difference with this round of convertible senior notes: they are registered, so they are already trading.

I'm quite pleased to see the SP at 255 this morning. Lots of Options volume around the 255 strike for today's expiry.

Cheers!

Last edited:
My read is that this is the tail wagging the dog. $1B of convertibles isn't much compared to the outstanding stock.

true but it’s not a 1:1 correlation

even this deal there’s almost 1/4bb in hedge transactions. the underwriters will prob double that.

.5bb in derivatives can move the stock a lot, even relative to the mkt cap of a company

it’s not a black swan, but it’s something
and they (banks) want to make damn sure those initial hedges (and any more put on as they progress to maturity) work out for them

Just one comment: Between Boring Company tunnels and Robotaxis...Elon Musk seems to be taking the common idiom, "information superhighway" a little too literally by seemingly treating people as packets. :)

Heck, if you incorporate this NeuralLink thing-a-ma-bob...uh, then a direct link to our minds via these vehicles is thought of as contextual metadata or headers of packets...we're getting into Matrix territory, right?

Crazy thought of the day.

Just one comment: Between Boring Company tunnels and Robotaxis...Elon Musk seems to be taking the common idiom, "information superhighway" a little too literally by seemingly treating people as packets. :)

Well people are the bits and the vehicles are the packets, and Boring wants to own the series of tubes that make up this new "undernet"

I must be a complete idiot.

I don't get it! If "the market" stopped believing anything Tesla says and only trust deliveries and profits, thus the perpetually marching to lower recently,. why so many buyers all of a sudden out of woods bidding up the newly issued shares?
Because now they will have the cash to grow and build new products. No more worries about cash, all the focus is now on growth

Because now they will have the cash to grow and build new products. No more worries about cash, all the focus is now on growth

I don't think that explains it. 2b is too little too late if you believe that Tesla not only need to grow but also have trouble selling existing models. With 500m per quarter thty would be dead in 3 to 4 quarters, without spending on model Y. Especially with the recent extreme pessimistic mood, as if most investors don't have high hope for model Y either.

It seems to me "the market" believed that before this news. Somehow the mood changed all of a sudden?

buy_sell.jpeg

I think it's all a matter of perspective. If you are looking at probability of no accident per mile and it takes you 12 months to solve every 9, then it looks like you are getting diminishing returns for the same amount of human work hours. However, if you are looking at average number of miles driven without an accident/disengagement, this is increasing 10x for every 12 months (with a fixed number of developers and annotators).
Also note that I'm just talking about the benefits of new data here. Part of the exponential growth is also that on top of this data set improvement, Tesla also has a 10-20x improvement in computing power to play with. In the next year Tesla will have a new benefit from scaling up the size and scale of their neural nets (but with largely the same data set as before) to take advantage of their new FSD computer. Rather than solving individual scenarios, this neural net size upgrade should broadly reduce the individual error rate on every single scenario at the same time by increasing granular object detection accuracy.

We don't know what 9 Tesla is currently working on, but I think they are just now transitioning from building the FSD capability building blocks and data infrastructure towards tackling the march of 9s. At Waymo, we at least have some data to look at. If we re-write Waymo's disengagement/mile numbers into probability of no disengagement per mile, they were at 99.991% in 2018, which improved from 99.94% in 2015. So they solved close to one 9 in three years while using a lot of hardware and 3D maps crutches. This isn't really the probability of no accident per mile because 1) not all disengagements would have led to an accident and 2) Waymo's numbers are distorted by heavy geofencing, restricted weather conditions, and discretion to not report disengagements if the human driver took over voluntarily. But ignoring this, this compares to human driving accidents of 1 every 436k miles - equivalent to 99.9998%. So Waymo is very crudely about two 9s from matching the average human. But with Waymo's strategy, every 9 will take 10x higher investment in fleet size, 10x higher investment in safety drivers and 10x higher central computing costs (because unlike Tesla, Waymo downloads every second of sensor data and later filters centrally).

This is the difference between Tesla's strategy and everyone else's. Tesla is set up to solve every 9 in a flat number of months on a flat budget. For everybody else, every new 9 requires scaling investment c.10x. Tesla has very carefully structured its strategy such that none of its R&D costs scale exponentially.
This!!

Reactions: capster
I don't think that explains it. 2b is too little too late if you believe that Tesla not only need to grow but also have trouble selling existing models. With 500m per quarter thty would be dead in 3 to 4 quarters, without spending on model Y. Especially with the recent extreme pessimistic mood, as if most investors don't have high hope for model Y either.

It seems to me "the market" believed that before this news. Somehow the mood changed all of a sudden?

I’d caution that, while the trajectory of the market was down on Tesla, I don’t think a significant portion of it thought Tesla was on the brink of collapse. The company was still worth $40 billion even at the low point. If everyone thought it was going to be gone next quarter, it would have been at or near $0. We tend to think in absolute terms, but the reality was that the market was a bit more pessimistic on Tesla.