Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For us it literally determins wether we are able to buy the best EV (Tesla) or settle for something less.

Can you name the locations (current CHAdeMO or CCS, or not) that, if Superchargers were present, you could live with a Model 3?

You must have this already worked out to the finest detail. It is 100% of your posts. I just want to know if TM is short two Superchargers, or five, or what...

Can you name the locations (current CHAdeMO or CCS, or not) that, if Superchargers were present, you could live with a Model 3?

You must have this already worked out to the finest detail. It is 100% of your posts. I just want to know if TM is short two Superchargers, or five, or what...

It’s not 100 percent of my posts but it’s important to us. Yes we have worked it out. No need to list locations. We travel extensively in B.C. Plug share will tell you the rest.

I don’t see a big need for more Superchargers in BC. Tesla’s Supercharger infrastructure money could be better spent elsewhere and the main corridor to Calgary is well serviced. I do see the need for an adapter...at least for us.

ARK Invest bought no TSLA today as it is the #1 holding and comprises more than 10% of ARKK and about the same in a couple of its other ETFs. Today ARKK was down 1.8% in the wake of poorly received earnings reports for its #2 holding Invitae (NVTA -20.2%), #21 Cerus (CERS -12.8%) and #29 U2 Inc (TWOU -25.3%). As you can see below in today's report from ARK, it bought a lot more of those latter three but sold no TSLA to pay for them. ARK typically buys heavily on big dips, and it did so in spades today.

upload_2019-5-8_16-8-13.png

Last edited:
Tesla is working extremely hard to lower the number of Tesla faulted accidents with the fsd computer, insurance will be cheaper with it then without. Even if you don't own fsd it will act as an active safety feature, a guardian angel. Warning first then taking over, but also always recording. Tesla's black box with all relevant crash related data to assign blame and pay out the smallest claims. The drivers rates will go up if fsd has to intervien. Rates will go down for safe drivers. Feedback can be instantaneous, training the driver how to be more safe. It's an insurance panacea where The insurance will actually train the driver while they drive.

This!
Just yesterday morning, I was following a car through a curve, more exactly a sequence of two curves with a couple car lengths of straight road in between. I kept enough distance that the car was briefly out of sight, blocked by some hedges. About the time I reached the straight stretch, my Model 3 played the mea while familiar "uh-oh, we're all gonna die!" alarm sounds. There was absolutely nothing dangerous about this situation and after the initial adenaline rush, I was annoyed about the false alarm. At the end of the second half-turn, my car yelled at me again but this time, the car in front of me had already slowed down and came to a complete stop. I can only guess that he was looking for an address but it was definitely not for traffic. No other cars were nearby.

Were it not for the report about the rear-ended M3 that evaded the car in front of it, I would've booked my experience as false positive without giving it a second thought. Now I'm not so sure. Did the car pick up subtle hints that I missed? I honestly can't tell and unfortunately did not download the dashcam video fwiw.
The more important point is that it doesn't matter. Monitoring the surroundings, alerting the driver and initiating emergency action if needed is far less difficult than full autonomy. The recently released lane departure warning and prevention is another indication of the safety features to come.
Anecdotes of apparently super-human reaction by Teslas that prevented seemingly unavoidable accidents will be more frequent than reports of burning ICE cars.

For the Tesla insurance, I consider the reduced risk as the primary competitive advantage. Being able to measure the risk as exactly as the energy consumption is only icing on the cake.

P.S.: If and when FSD arrives, the driver is no longer responsible. At that time, I expect the OEM to cover any accidents caused. The risk should be so low that the cost per mile won't be affected.

This!
Just yesterday morning, I was following a car through a curve, more exactly a sequence of two curves with a couple car lengths of straight road in between. I kept enough distance that the car was briefly out of sight, blocked by some hedges. About the time I reached the straight stretch, my Model 3 played the mea while familiar "uh-oh, we're all gonna die!" alarm sounds. There was absolutely nothing dangerous about this situation and after the initial adenaline rush, I was annoyed about the false alarm. At the end of the second half-turn, my car yelled at me again but this time, the car in front of me had already slowed down and came to a complete stop. I can only guess that he was looking for an address but it was definitely not for traffic. No other cars were nearby.

Were it not for the report about the rear-ended M3 that evaded the car in front of it, I would've booked my experience as false positive without giving it a second thought. Now I'm not so sure. Did the car pick up subtle hints that I missed? I honestly can't tell and unfortunately did not download the dashcam video fwiw.
The more important point is that it doesn't matter. Monitoring the surroundings, alerting the driver and initiating emergency action if needed is far less difficult than full autonomy. The recently released lane departure warning and prevention is another indication of the safety features to come.
Anecdotes of apparently super-human reaction by Teslas that prevented seemingly unavoidable accidents will be more frequent than reports of burning ICE cars.

For the Tesla insurance, I consider the reduced risk as the primary competitive advantage. Being able to measure the risk as exactly as the energy consumption is only icing on the cake.

P.S.: If and when FSD arrives, the driver is no longer responsible. At that time, I expect the OEM to cover any accidents caused. The risk should be so low that the cost per mile won't be affected.
One thought is that because of the high standard that will be applied to autonomous vehicles, they will need to recognize where an unseen pedestrian could potentially be, as when passing parked vans or trucks, and drive slowly enough to stop in time if a pedestrian appears at just the wrong moment. This will be annoying to passengers and human drivers. Of course human drivers should also do this, but they usually don't.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and humbaba

I want to believe that the OEM would take responsibility. But, for now, I have very high doubts. Maybe not exactly apples to apples comparison, but Tesla does not even take responsibility if FWDs on the X hits something.

Hi folks,

There was another "arranged trade" after-hrs today:

16:36 EDT 120,178 shares @ $245.15​

That's $29.5 M in a single trade. Somebody's accumulating, and they're in it for real, for the long run, and for big money. Some deep pockets loading up a major stake?

Cheers!
How do you know they're in it for the long run? I hope you're right. :)

Reactions: SO16
It’s not 100 percent of my posts but it’s important to us. Yes we have worked it out. No need to list locations. We travel extensively in B.C. Plug share will tell you the rest.

I don’t see a big need for more Superchargers in BC. Tesla’s Supercharger infrastructure money could be better spent elsewhere and the main corridor to Calgary is well serviced. I do see the need for an adapter...at least for us.
Kudos for you for making noise about the need for a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter for the Model 3 in North America. If I were forced to drive a gas car, I'd really hate to only be able to fill up at Exxon stations, for instance, even if Exxon had the best overall geographic coverage. I hope you have made your concerns known to Tesla directly. Tesla will eventually come through with an adapter, but sooner would be better. We don't want silly things like charger incompatibility to impede EV and Tesla adoption.

Most of your posts are good, but ones like this are why Musk fanbois are as insufferable as the shorts some times. He is not beyond reproach and neither is Tesla behavior. I stand by my comment and will continue to post my opinion. If you don't like it you can feel free to ignore me. Got it?

You started it by announcing how Tesla ‘should’ run their business. You aren’t actually in any sort of position to say such a thing unless you’re actually the CEO of an EV manufacturer doing what Tesla is doing.

Yeah, you didn’t like my response did you? It’s all in how one communicates, isn’t it? Gee, kind of exactly what you were complaining about.

I’d have had zero issue (other than not agreeing in general) if you’d stated your opinion with appropriate words. Let me help you.

‘I would prefer for the person in charge of the Tesla Twitter account to tweet less silliness like (give an example of what bothered you). I feel as if some people might get the wrong impression (and then explain why).’

I’ve never said or suggested Elon Musk is beyond reproach, nor the behavior of Tesla.

Feel free to post your opinion in any manner you see fit, but I will still call it out when I disagree.

FYI, I do not use the ignore function of this forum even if someone tries to insult me with labels. I’m proud to support Tesla and Elon Musk even if/when they make mistakes. And I’m even prouder of my ability to not have to express negativity publicly, but rather keep it to myself. Or if I feel it’s important enough, take my complaint directly to the source as a matter of courtesy.

Any projections for SP by Friday? Up or down? Any targets? Also are folks playing any hedge due to trade war?

SP dominated by market makers when volume is low. Options tell you where the MMs are headed, so without news to move the SP, the table is slanted their way. Here's the May 10, 2019 expiries for TSLA options:

TSLA.options.2019-05-10.png