Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'know, it's interesting on Robinhood, Tesla is the 2nd most held stock on the market in terms of total value (popularity x price). The first? Apple. Pretty surprising for stock on a product/platform that focuses on millenials/GenZ with a small set of pockets and, generally, buy between 1-10 shares per stock (at least from what I understand and have read). It's the top-most highest priced stock on that list. Plus, the core focus seems to be Penny and under $10-$15 stocks judging by the Cannabis stock being #1 at ~$8 a share.

https://robinhood.com/collections/100-most-popular

Anyone ever done or seen projection/trends calculations for generations, as they grow up / age and increase buying power based on net worth, on how much they accumulate in the public markets?
I said before that TSLA need to do a 1:20 split, then a share would only cost lunch money. Then Robinhood holding would grow even faster.

Also TSLAQ would get what they wished and be happy ever after, no?:D

Google Trends for Tesla, Elon Musk, and Space X for US searches. Tesla's on a great upswing in the last ~3 months and looks like the distractions for Elon Musk from 2018 (or his "PR campaign") have gone to a halt. Any thoughts on drivers for this change?

Also, SpaceX, based on the Starman launch in 2/2018, has had a link directly to Tesla in the past for Google searches. Wondering what happens with Starlink and Tesla and if that potentially becomes a major driver as well.

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 8.23.52 AM.png

Based on what you have posted, something sounds fishy here...or incomplete. Let's see what the logs have to say when they are pulled.

Dan
OT, other than it's something shorts will celebrate, hence the potential it affects the SP...

I just posted what Reuters reported. The fact the report stated when AP was activated, how long before the crash, and the time hands on wheel were not detected (yes, I know that is BS as we all get the nags when "hands" are on the wheel) seems to imply the logs were pulled I'd think.

Doesn't matter. If the driver engaged AP and scant seconds later ran under a trailer, where was their attention? How does someone not look ahead that far to see a tractor pulling out, and decide this would be a good time to give up control of the car?

Its really a challenge to understand the stock movement in relation to the fundamentals since a while.

News are really positive and the Maxwell acquisition a true game changer in many aspects that will put the battery technology even more ahead of all others who try to bring a compelling BEV to market still the SP continues to be under pressure.

Hard for me to explain and IMHO completely irrational.

My point was that any company that makes an actual autonomous car can make it a weirdmobile.
They'd only have to worry about looks if (1) they're selling them, not just operating taxis AND (2) there are other companies selling autonomous vehicles..

It's a moooooo point because we are NOT talking about fully autonomous cars. It's meaningless when you don't have a way to get there. The way to get there involved deploying a large semi autonomous fleet.

It's freaking expensive to have a weirdmobile fleet that can't drive itself all the time, because people won't want to own them so you have bear all the cost!

When you don't have a semi autonomous fleet big enough it is freaking hard to get full autonomy.

To your point, why don't we just talk about teleportation then who needs cars?!

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and capster
Its really a challenge to understand the stock movement in relation to the fundamentals since a while.

News are really positive and the Maxwell acquisition a true game changer in many aspects that will put the battery technology even more ahead of all others who try to bring a compelling BEV to market still the SP continues to be under pressure.

That's the key. Markets aren't rational. Even the best analysts are still throwing darts at the wall most of the time, and even then they have to cover way more than 1 company.

Humans are herd oriented animals. It's very hard for us to break away. On top of that most of us would much rather fail while being in the majority of others that also failed (well, it was out of my control, other people made the same mistake) than risk failing and being the oddball. (oh crap, everybody else was right and I was wrong)

They called the 'funding secured' puts I sold this morning. Shoved five hundred shares into my account at purchase price of 420 triggering a maintenance call. I covered it but I do not think this is coincidence. Feel like this is all out attempt to waterfall stock. I think most people would not be able to cover and would dump shares on open market. Feels like if we can hold 225 or even better close above 231 this should turn out all right.

Elon, you put me in situations that I know I am disciplined enough to avoid based on the tuition I have already paid to Wall Street because I believed you. Time to produce. Don't mind the tweets, but please, focus on execution and succeed. You seem to have everything lined up right now. Produce the best batteries in the world in quantity and crush the ICE industry. No distractions please. Oh, BTW, if you want to throw in FSD on top that would be great, but that is not necessary at the moment. Everything else is.
Hang in there..

This just in from Reuters:

REUTERS9:22 AM ET 5/16/2019
WASHINGTON, May 16(Reuters) - The National Transportation Safety Boardsaid Thursday that Tesla's Autopilot feature was engaged during a fatal March 1crash of a Model 3, in the latest serious crash reported that involves the driver-assistance system.

The NTSB said the driver engaged Autopilot about 10 seconds before crashing into a semitrailer and did not have his hands on the wheel for nearly eight seconds before the crash. The driver was traveling about 60 miles per hour and neither the system nor the driver made any evasive maneuvers, the agency said.

Interesting, they seem to have changed the wording to “fewer than 8 seconds” now(I see no note showing that anything was changed). Isn’t it interesting what you can do with different wording for the same thing?

Second qtr guidance not necessarily credible, that is not helping
The stock .

Tesla has never told us why they bought Maxwell. So it’s not priced in. Maybe Tesla should inform investors why they diluted the stock.

I have to think they will start talking about it now that the deal is closing.
They should. They purchased a money losing business. They need to put out a statement ASAP. Markets don’t know why Tesla acquired Maxwell, maybe Elon really likes Maxwell House coffee so he mistakenly bought the battery company? Market doesn’t really know.

They should. They purchased a money losing business. They need to put out a statement ASAP. Markets don’t know why Tesla acquired Maxwell, maybe Elon really likes Maxwell House coffee so he mistakenly bought the battery company? Market doesn’t really know.

Makes sense. They’ve probably been paying through the nose for all those coffee pods at the service centers and figured they could save some money by vertically integrating. Oops.

EDIT: Ok, in all seriousness, now that I’ve thought of it: Tesla absolutely needs to start selling “2170” and “18650” branded coffee in its “lifestyle” store.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about him liking Maxwell House coffee than about him mistaking it for Maxwell Technologies.

Shorts have been emboldened because of series of bad news from Tesla. They need some concrete good news that can't be explained away to scare them into covering.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and NicoV