Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just in from Reuters:

REUTERS9:22 AM ET 5/16/2019
WASHINGTON, May 16(Reuters) - The National Transportation Safety Boardsaid Thursday that Tesla's Autopilot feature was engaged during a fatal March 1crash of a Model 3, in the latest serious crash reported that involves the driver-assistance system.

The NTSB said the driver engaged Autopilot about 10 seconds before crashing into a semitrailer and did not have his hands on the wheel for nearly eight seconds before the crash. The driver was traveling about 60 miles per hour and neither the system nor the driver made any evasive maneuvers, the agency said.

You know, our President is an idiot, but he is kinda right (in the wrong way) about the news. I'm hesitant to suggest regulation of things, but clickbait headlines are an increasingly common problem.

Headline "Tesla Shareholder T. Rowe Price Sells Most of Stake in the Electric Car Company"

Actual content - "Tesla shares dipped nearly 1% to $229.86 Thursday after one of its biggest investors, T. Rowe Price , sold about 81% of its shares in the electric vehicle maker over the first three months of the year."

Tesla Shareholder T. Rowe Price Sells Most of Stake in the Electric Car Company

It would be just as accurate to see Headline - "1000 Americans murdered!"
article - "over the past 3 months 1k Americans have were murdered globally"
There's an easy solution. Never click unless you know the link. No revenue, no clickbait headlines.

Dear fellow Canadians,

I decided to reach Tesla support this morning, by phone, trying to pressure a bit on the North America CCS compatibility issue.

On the my question : ''is there a roadmap/timeline for some kind of adapter for CCS charging for North America?''

The nice lady answered : ''I can't tell you about an exact date, because it hasn't been released yet. BUT what I can tell you, is that we are working on one, so yeah, it will be available this year, but I can't tell you exactly when''

Dear Lady, she just made my day!
Not to rain on your parade, but I was told the same thing about ChaDemo 6 months ago. I do think it is inevitable that they support CCS though.

There's an easy solution. Never click unless you know the link. No revenue, no clickbait headlines.
That's easy for me, but the vast majority of people only ever read headlines. They see the headline and go about their day. This was always an issue, even back in newspaper times, but now we are drowning in media and it's even less likely to read the actual article.

You know, our President is an idiot, but he is kinda right (in the wrong way) about the news. I'm hesitant to suggest regulation of things, but clickbait headlines are an increasingly common problem.

Headline "Tesla Shareholder T. Rowe Price Sells Most of Stake in the Electric Car Company"

Actual content - "Tesla shares dipped nearly 1% to $229.86 Thursday after one of its biggest investors, T. Rowe Price , sold about 81% of its shares in the electric vehicle maker over the first three months of the year."

Tesla Shareholder T. Rowe Price Sells Most of Stake in the Electric Car Company

It would be just as accurate to see Headline - "1000 Americans murdered!"
article - "over the past 3 months 1k Americans have were murdered globally"

What’s inaccurate about the headline?

Not to rain on your parade, but I was told the same thing about ChaDemo 6 months ago. I do think it is inevitable that they support CCS though.
My understanding is that it is much harder to do CHAdeMO -> Tesla than it is to do CCS -> Tesla. Particularly because CCS -> Tesla is already working in Europe.

last time I checked nobody has autonomous vehicle yet. Waymo removed their safety drivers overnight?

ugly is the least of the problems, what about added cost because of weight and drag? if those cars are not EVs, how would the 12v battery deal with the computer? the list goes on.

Given all those, if you want an "autonomous" car, why don't you just get a Tesla?

And for those "autonomous" system to control the car's steering and acceleration, that is another big can of worm we haven't even begin to touch.

basically for waymo to "pivot" they pretty much has to do what Tesla has done, it is not easy for them consider they have no factory at all.

My point was that any company that makes an actual autonomous car can make it a weirdmobile.
They'd only have to worry about looks if (1) they're selling them, not just operating taxis AND (2) there are other companies selling autonomous vehicles..

WASHINGTON, May 16(Reuters) - The National Transportation Safety Boardsaid Thursday that Tesla's Autopilot feature was engaged during a fatal March 1crash of a Model 3, in the latest serious crash reported that involves the driver-assistance system.

The NTSB said the driver engaged Autopilot about 10 seconds before crashing into a semitrailer and did not have his hands on the wheel for nearly eight seconds before the crash. The driver was traveling about 60 miles per hour and neither the system nor the driver made any evasive maneuvers, the agency said.

Any loss of life in an accident is a tragedy for the family and friends, I feel for them - I can't imagine getting such news from the police if it were my wife or kids, best friend, your whole world must turn upside-down in an instant and stay like that for a very long time. But many of these fatalities almost sound like they were the desired result judging by the drivers' behaviour. I'm not saying it's actually the case, but you have to wonder what they were thinking...

Whelp, I hereby predict Q2 Model S/X deliveres to be... one more than they would have been an hour or so ago.

upload_2019-5-16_8-43-24.png

Any loss of life in an accident is a tragedy for the family and friends, I feel for them - I can't imagine getting such news from the police if it were my wife or kids, best friend, your whole must turn upside-down in an instant and stay like that for a very long time. But many of these fatalities almost sound like they were the desired result judging by the drivers' behaviour. I'm not saying it's actually the case, but you have to wonder what they were thinking...

Unfortunately AP crashes will just increase in frequency. Tesla's safety report logs 3.4 million miles per crash. Which means as of today, we should expect 2 crashes per day and 3 crashes per day coming up as miles on AP scales exponentially with now EVERY car having AP included. Even though it's way less than 800k miles/crash from actual human drivers, it doesn't stop the printing press from writing these articles. Just for scale, Waymo had more than 12 crashes from the 10 million miles it has driven. So as of today, Tesla logs 3x less accidents than Waymo BUT miles logged are different so not a true apples to apples comparison.

So yes, more fires and more AP crashes..kind of the result with having more cars on the road. So reporting every incident is going to be very annoying very quick for shareholders.

They called the 'funding secured' puts I sold this morning. Shoved five hundred shares into my account at purchase price of 420 triggering a maintenance call. I covered it but I do not think this is coincidence. Feel like this is all out attempt to waterfall stock. I think most people would not be able to cover and would dump shares on open market. Feels like if we can hold 225 or even better close above 231 this should turn out all right.

Elon, you put me in situations that I know I am disciplined enough to avoid based on the tuition I have already paid to Wall Street because I believed you. Time to produce. Don't mind the tweets, but please, focus on execution and succeed. You seem to have everything lined up right now. Produce the best batteries in the world in quantity and crush the ICE industry. No distractions please. Oh, BTW, if you want to throw in FSD on top that would be great, but that is not necessary at the moment. Everything else is.

Y'know, it's interesting on Robinhood, Tesla is the 2nd most held stock on the market in terms of total value (popularity x price). The first? Apple. Pretty surprising for stock on a product/platform that focuses on millenials/GenZ with a small set of pockets and, generally, buy between 1-10 shares per stock (at least from what I understand and have read). It's the top-most highest priced stock on that list. Plus, the core focus seems to be Penny and under $10-$15 stocks judging by the Cannabis stock being #1 at ~$8 a share.

https://robinhood.com/collections/100-most-popular

Anyone ever done or seen projection/trends calculations for generations, as they grow up / age and increase buying power based on net worth, on how much they accumulate in the public markets?

Based on what you have posted, something sounds fishy here...or incomplete. Let's see what the logs have to say when they are pulled.

Dan

Reactions: Carl Raymond
But many of these fatalities almost sound like they were the desired result judging by the drivers' behaviour. I'm not saying it's actually the case, but you have to wonder what they were thinking...
My feeling is, they were not thinking.

Agree it's sad that anyone should die in a horrific accident, but this, as are many other accidents, is a result of careless driving. Boggles the mind.

Y'know, it's interesting on Robinhood, Tesla is the 2nd most held stock on the market in terms of total value (popularity x price). The first? Apple. Pretty surprising for stock on a product/platform that focuses on millenials/GenZ with a small set of pockets and, generally, buy between 1-10 shares per stock (at least from what I understand and have read). It's the top-most highest priced stock on that list. Plus, the core focus seems to be Penny and under $10-$15 stocks judging by the Cannabis stock being #1 at ~$8 a share.

https://robinhood.com/collections/100-most-popular

Anyone ever done or seen projection/trends calculations for generations, as they grow up / age and increase buying power based on net worth, on how much they accumulate in the public markets?
A couple years ago I read an article that pointed out the #1 stock bought by each generation when they were young.

Greatest Gen was GE
Boomers was apple
Millennials - Tesla