Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the reports on a Q3 or Q4 refresh are way off, also I got the feeling this interior refresh is not going to be as big as people are expecting
The correct way to have done S&X refresh would have been slightly before releasing 3. But Tesla is not big enough to pull this off.

Now that they refreshed S&X, they are not going to do an internal refresh until around the time Y comes out (if that). The current refresh should be enough to bring S&X demand back up for another year.

The last rumor I heard about Roadster 2 coming into production was late summer, anyone pick up wind on this info.?

Tesla Roadster in stunning blue rips through London streets in concept video

It would seem like an ideal case since Maxwell is now ours to ramp. It’s very likely they’ve been testing the battery tech on the semi and Roadster the past year since Maxwell stated they’ve been working with an unnamed auto company.

I also hope it is outdated, but it does not seem unreasonable from a cautionary point of view.

In millions:
Q1 19: $702 loss
Q3,Q4 profit
Q2 18: $717 loss
Q1 18: $709 loss
Q4 17: $675 loss
Q3 17: $619 loss

This is also P/L not cash flow, but is the thing employees can more easily impact.

The earlier quarters had a lot of outgoing cash in excess of GAAP losses for capex; the more recent ones, cash flow is better than GAAP losses. That said, they still have the fundamental problem that they need to deliver higher volumes of product. My current read of the evidence says that they'll manage to do that in Q3... Marginal cost cuts are of course important and employees have some control over that, but volume of production is the other thing employees can help with.

I can echo @Webeevdrivers experience, my brother in law placed an order for a Leaf here in Quebec and it's months of waiting.

As an aside he did not even consider a Model 3 because "they have a two year wait list" and "they closed all their stores anyway".

In reality there is a Tesla service center/store not even a mile from where he lives. Throwing up my arms in the air.
Oy. Did you tell him "The wait for a Model 3 in Canada is only a month or so, much shorter than for the Leaf now, and the store is a mile from your house. Don't believe the newspapers."

With the building almost fully enclosed, and several auxiliary buildings close to fully enclosed, videos aren't going to tell us much any more. We have no way of telling how much is installed on the interior.

I read it somewhere that they still need to harden the floor before equipment can be installed. The installation is more likely to start in late August and may take a few months to get everything work right. Right now I think meaningful production will start in 2020.

For those feeling down due to difficulty selling Tesla to friends and family, perhaps we can get some comfort learning how Toyota made it's way selling cars in U.S. 60 years ago? It was not easy, to say the least.

For those claiming Musk is crazy, what about the uncontrollable acceleration from Toyota and Lexus, how many people killed before they admitted it's their fault. So covering up crime is normal yet bragging about achievement is crazy?

FYI, this is going to be a warranty cost issue and may require some minor car redesign (replacing paint with plastic). Tesla again didn't do enough cold weather testing.

Model 3 paint wearing off

I have to admit, as somebody who might be considering buying a Model 3 late next year (when my current lease ends), I have been watching this thread with interest. I am hoping Tesla will address this one way or the other.

I've been going through PPF and other options in my head, but for me they'd be an additional expense on an already (to me) expensive purchase. I'm not really sure how relevant this is to the UK conditions, but it's certainly occupied a lot of my thinking time. :D

I have to admit, as somebody who might be considering buying a Model 3 late next year (when my current lease ends), I have been watching this thread with interest. I am hoping Tesla will address this one way or the other.

I've been going through PPF and other options in my head, but for me they'd be an additional expense on an already (to me) expensive purchase. I'm not really sure how relevant this is to the UK conditions, but it's certainly occupied a lot of my thinking time. :D

Probably not very relevant to UK conditions, though it sounds like practically everyone should get PPF for the lower rocker panels right next to the wheels.

Some people report no problems at all, even in Quebec climates, so it's definitely possible that some cars have better paint jobs than others.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
FYI, this is going to be a warranty cost issue and may require some minor car redesign (replacing paint with plastic). Tesla again didn't do enough cold weather testing.

Model 3 paint wearing off
Based on this picture, I think that's more likely to be a problem with the paint on specific cars than something that requires a redesign.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/8c08aeee-ee95-44bd-b10d-15ad960b9e67-jpeg.394370/

Specifically, the edge of the paint appears to be curling up, which suggests there was something impairing the primer from adhering to the metal, probably lubricating oil that wasn't cleaned up completely during paint. It happening more often/faster in cold/wet environments is also consistent with adhesion issues because the water/ice/salt slurry can stick to/get under the paint easier than water/rain alone can.

Even if my guess is accurate, it's certainly still an issue, but it should be something Tesla can address on specific cars instead of something that requires a redesign.

Meanwhile out in Ruralville: Yesterday I was approached on the street by someone who has come to our EV events in the past, someone I'd characterize as a progressive, especially with respect to environmental and social issues. She was glad to bump into me because she knew I'd bought a Model 3 a few months back and was "concerned for me" because of "all the negative press about Tesla".

The anti-Tesla and anti-Musk narrative is pervasive. And people love to hate rich guys, and Elon sometimes says and does things that aren't helpful. Every once a month or so he says or tweets some fodder for the anti-Tesla dreadnaught that reaches the eyes and ears of nearly the entire cable news audience. Like it or not, that's where a huge segment of the population of this country gets its news. Tesla could lose this battle if they don't do something. Strange that they are so nimble when it comes to improvements on the production line, but keep making the same mistakes over and over with their messaging.

Tesla definitely could benefit from a communications campaign targeted down-market to educate the masses about safe, affordable, reliable electric transportation that is available now. It doesn't have to look like conventional auto advertising. But Tesla needs to think big with respect to taking over the narrative. They need to to make this as much a part of their mission as building factories and making lots of cars or they will lose the war.
You say this as if there is a demand problem. Perhaps Tesla is actually production constrained. As far as I can tell the FUD isn’t having a huge impact. My sphere of friends and acquaintances doesn’t seem to be affected by it that much. Not enough to find buying and owning a Tesla to be undesirable.

Reactions: neroden