Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I basically agree, but the real barrier is charging. People don't understand charging. That's the key difference between EVs and ICE cars and people don't understand how it works, and have no idea what the positives look like.

People think cars and they think gas. We need to break them of this habit.

I agree, I think the charging aspect (besides the charging network) of some EVs currently is a barrier to adoption when they dig into the details.

Refueling ICE cars is very simple for the average car buyer to understand and live with. With Tesla, especially, you have so many discussions about what is the proper way of driving, charging, and storing, just to keep the battery from degrading faster than normal. Plus, add the fact that there is a difference between rated and ideal range. It’s the one aspect of owning a Tesla I never mention to others, especially the set-it-and-forget-it type of people, which happens to be majority of car buyers I know who aren’t car enthusiasts. My parents would not want to drive my Tesla if I told them they should keep the car always charging to between 50-80%, don’t go to 90%+ often, rarely 100%, don’t let it dip below 20%, remember the miles left on the dash is not actual real world miles left, having a X kWh battery doesn’t mean you get access to all X kWh, always and only supercharging is not healthy, don’t go on a vacation for more than weeks with the Tesla sitting by itself, etc.

Unfortunately, there’s no single standard that EV manufactures work with. At least with some cars, the EV maker purposely reserves a relatively large amount from being accessible, and does not mention this or about ideal charging habits. This way the buyer can really drive it like any other car. For example, Honda’s approach with the Clarity and Chrysler’s with their Pacifica (though they don’t sell well) are good ways to transition the average ICE driver to an EV.

Last edited:
Tesla at LEAST needs to do some more videos. You don't even have to pay to put them on TV, just stick them online. Make a video that shows how you charge at home, and on the road. Talk about the time it takes vs time you save. etc.

Is this the person now running Tesla's twitter account? If so it was a great choice. He/she is killing it.

No, starts in July.

Tesla at LEAST needs to do some more videos. You don't even have to pay to put them on TV, just stick them online. Make a video that shows how you charge at home, and on the road. Talk about the time it takes vs time you save. etc.

Is this the person now running Tesla's twitter account? If so it was a great choice. He/she is killing it.

The article states he is joining Tesla as of July...so unless he's moonlighting, it's not him yet.

congrats to everyone who bought in the past two days, this will grow into an excellent investment.
Not all news is good news.

Agreed. Elon said even bad publicity leads to more orders. If he really thinks that way, he is wrong. Bad publicity may lead to more ordering in short term, in the long run it's not good for the brand and demand.

Friday of last week (4 days ago for me), I posted a long-ish post that boiled down to asking for replies regarding the stock price and demand. I've read every post (except those I have on ignore) since then. Nearly 100 pages. If I recall correctly, three people responded to me. I appreciated them taking the time to respond and giving their thoughts. However, nothing in the responses convinced me that there is evidence of demand still being stronger than supply. That viewpoint has been posted here multiple times in the past two months. (Kruggerand, you're going to need to buy more after this post).

Objectively, Tesla is giving signals of falling demand. Price cuts, leasing, discounts, free supercharging, and possibly others I don't recall at the moment.

Last week, the CEO wrote an email regarding continuing to improve efficiencies and lower costs. Not a bad thing, but he included the parts about reviewing every expense report and referenced the Q1 burn rate.

Then today, you cut prices.

If I had a company that had demand greater than my current production abilities, and I'm asking my employees to squeeze everything so we can be profitable, I'm not going to cut prices a week later on my products. That makes zero sense.

If someone can share evidence that demand is stronger than production, I would very much like to see that.

If someone can explain a reason why a company with demand greater than supply would cut prices, I would also very much like to read that.

If demand is falling, I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the product. It would, however, probably correlate with Tesla not working to own their story.

It’s not a secret that the Model 3, and in some ways the Model Y is cannibolizing the S& X. Without an exterior refresh my guess is we sell 70k SX a year. By lowering the price Tesla is pulling on a demand lever. With them producing over 6,000 Model 3s a year with China tariffs my logic tells me that production number could be higher once Shanghai is up and running.

The reason why no one has answered your question is that it’s an old folk tale that demand is falling. I have heard this through the years since 2012. With better efficiencies and higher margins Tesla is able to bring the cost down to customers. Since 2012 Tesla has had dozens of price cuts to the SX, and guess what? Margins are sitting around 20-25%. A better way to explain leasing and price cuts is that Tesla is tapping into new demand, pulling different levers as production increases. Sure demand isn’t as high as it was when zero model 3 were being produced, but it’s quite healthy given that there are buyers excited to pay.

What interest me now is how much Model 3s will we sell same time next year? Will we see 40-50% growth year over year? I think so...

I can assure you that Tesla is able to sell as many cars as they can produce. I am picking up my Model 3 this week, the vin is above 400,000 and I spent $45k on the vehicle excluding taxes. This is just one data point but the sales rep also tells me it’s been crazy demand lately with gas prices at $4 a gallon in California. When calling into the delivery center I get the answering machine bc all reps are busy, and when I do get a sales rep on the phone the guy speed talks like I’m at an auction with all kinds of background noises of other people talking as though everyone is running around trying to get things done ASAP.

Last edited:
About gaming.

Look at the portz. Unity and Unreal. Sure Tesla can license 50 year old Atari games for pennies but I now look at what they are thinking about..Fortnite.

Essentially this is the beginnings of a Tesla app store, taking a chunk of revanue from microtransactions or just providing the platform.

So no porting games is not a waste of time. What are apps stores money makers for phones? Games....

I find the fact that no valuation is given to the impending Tesla App Store just crazy. The Apple App Store a purely profit machine for Apple. Every Tesla made today and that has been made for the past 3 years is ready for the App Store. There is absolutely nothing stopping Tesla from creating the App store and starting to let developer upload their apps to it. Granted, the apps would only be usable when the car is in park right now, but once FSD comes online, then the driver and the passenger could use them as much as they want. The only reason it's not there today is because Tesla has so much going on and they'd have to increase their software team even more.

My parents would not want to drive my Tesla if I told them they should keep the car always charging to between 50-80%, don’t go to 90%+ often, rarely 100%, don’t let it dip below 20%, remember the miles left on the dash is not actual real world miles left, having a X kWh battery doesn’t mean you get access to all X kWh, always and only supercharging is not healthy, don’t go on a vacation for more than weeks with the Tesla sitting by itself, etc.

Well, most of that isn’t really necessary, any more than it’s absolutely necessary you pull over on the side of the road, no matter what, to change your oil in an ICEv exactly at 3000 miles or use only premium gas always, or...

The things you list are the absolute optimal treatment of the battery, but, as has been pointed out by Elon and others, nothing really bad is going to happen if you charge to 90% every night.

Also, every ICEv I’ve seen in recent times has a “miles left” indicator that’s always completely divorced from reality. By comparison, Tesla’s indicator is uncannily accurate.

And the free supercharging is only for inventory S/X, which is all pre-refresh.

Free supercharging will never completely go away regardless whether Musk said, “Sorry, it’s not really sustainable at volume production and doesn’t incent optimal behavior. We probably should have ended this earlier.” They keep bringing it back for a period of time practically every quarter since Musk said that.
At some point in the near future, the new Raven models will almost surely get free supercharging for life (of the current owner) also. So, if one is not in a hurry to buy, maybe a good thing to wait and get both free supercharging and the free ludicrous upgrade (if a current Tesla owner).

Let’s put it this way. I bought into TSLA in 2013 around $180 when they were barely able to make 20,000 Model S’s a year.

Fast forward today with 400,000 Model S,X and 3 a year, supercharging network, Tesla energy, Gigafactory 1-3, Tesla Semi, Model Y, roadster, pickup, etc.

There is no way Tesla should be valued the same as 2013. This is Big Oil’s last chance to try and kill Tesla before it gets to the point of no return. Some would argue that we have already reached the point of no return but vested interest have not excepted that yet.
You’re saying, that 2013 price was right and current price is wrong. Maybe Tesla was overvalued 2013? i’m not saying it was, just to point out, that that is also possible explanation.

Reactions: saniflash
I find the fact that no valuation is given to the impending Tesla App Store just crazy. The Apple App Store a purely profit machine for Apple. Every Tesla made today and that has been made for the past 3 years is ready for the App Store. There is absolutely nothing stopping Tesla from creating the App store and starting to let developer upload their apps to it. Granted, the apps would only be usable when the car is in park right now, but once FSD comes online, then the driver and the passenger could use them as much as they want. The only reason it's not there today is because Tesla has so much going on and they'd have to increase their software team even more.
I'm sure people can dream up many apps that are usable/safe while driving.

Heck, give people without premium connectivity free traffic data, and stick some ads on the screen whenever they park.

You’re saying, that 2013 price was right and current price is wrong. Maybe Tesla was overvalued 2013? i’m not saying it was, just to point out, that that is also possible explanation.
It's definitely possible, but then I'd ask, what were those investors expecting? Are we a really at a miss compared to what the plan was in 2013? Model 3 was a success. China factory is coming online. FSD has some promise. Competitors still haven't made a dent.
Free supercharging will never completely go away regardless whether Musk said, “Sorry, it’s not really sustainable at volume production and doesn’t incent optimal behavior. We probably should have ended this earlier.” They keep bringing it back for a period of time practically every quarter since Musk said that.
At some point in the near future, the new Raven models will almost surely get free supercharging for life (of the current owner) also. So, if one is not in a hurry to buy, maybe a good thing to wait and get both free supercharging and the free ludicrous upgrade (if a current Tesla owner).
They just need to limit it to so many miles a week to discourage abusers of the system.

Reactions: neroden
$300 Jan 15, 2021 calls sold for $22.20 earlier today. If that can slip down a good bit more by the 4th of July I'm loading up for 12x leverage.

Weren't some of the biggest bear attacks over holiday weeks last year? Maybe targeting Jan 3-5 is a good strategy for buying the bottom with leverage. If we can hover at SP $200-210 for another 6 weeks, those calls should come down on lower volatility, no?

I find the fact that no valuation is given to the impending Tesla App Store just crazy. The Apple App Store a purely profit machine for Apple.

It's not given valuation by most because of the timing / credibility problem. Who knows when the app store will be live? When it is, and generating income, it might bump the stock price. I'm a gamer and a developer, so I'm interested and think it has value. The issue is that last year Musk said Advanced Summon was about to roll out. Here we are six months later, still waiting. So saying an App store is coming soon, won't matter.

BTW, the Apple App Store does have costs for Apple. They have staff to check / verify app submissions before they get approved. Much of it is automated now, but there are still staff needed to update internal testing software, make updates to the app store interface and tech, etc. It's very profitable, but not purely profit.

They have to get rid of current pre-refresh inventory somehow. Better this way than further slashing prices on it. I agree that Raven will probably eventually get it as well: when there’s another major refresh and they need to clear out the older Raven inventory.

Well, most of that isn’t really necessary, any more than it’s absolutely necessary you pull over on the side of the road, no matter what, to change your oil in an ICEv exactly at 3000 miles or use only premium gas always, or...

The things you list are the absolute optimal treatment of the battery, but, as has been pointed out by Elon and others, nothing really bad is going to happen if you charge to 90% every night.

Also, every ICEv I’ve seen in recent times has a “miles left” indicator that’s always completely divorced from reality. By comparison, Tesla’s indicator is uncannily accurate.
Regarding the last paragraph in the above post a recent and related experience was our Mercedes GLS 450. Filled it up and the range to empty was 617 miles. After driving four miles to home the range was now 583 miles to empty. And subsequent drives it dropped nearly exponentially.So the range to empty in this particular icev is a completely fictional number.