Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Tesla's really weird about how they display inventory online, EV-CPO is actually pretty good at scraping up information about inventory.

It's actually one the worst since it tries to do the 'ethical' thing which is to not reveal inventory that Tesla has deemed non-public. Although I understand recent changes on the website made by Tesla made it more difficult to find the non-public inventory.

Having a plan and prototype vehicle floating about is hardly indicative of actual production and success. Look at Faraday Future, they were all the talk a few years ago, even going so far as to get a building contract in my old hometown. Yet to this day, the factory is unused, and Faraday has gone silent from most news except for the occasional death rattle.

Or look at Aptera. That car was beautiful. I wanted to drive that alien space pod around town. A few messups and... no company.

I agree. I know so many poor drivers who would really love to have a "backup driver", even if occasionally it told them "wake up!". Hopefully mostly in slow-speed situations. If the autopilot could handle all the high-speed driving which required fast reaction times, so that they were only handling the low-speed parking lot / cops-directing-traffic stuff, they'd be *very* happy.

I believe there are many handicapped that will feel very empowered with FAD - Fully Assisted driving.

I drive a lot, perhaps more than most of you, at least 15K a year, but I come upon these incidents ALL THE TIME!
I drive a lot less than you and I come across these incidents on a daily basis. What some people think are corner cases, I think of as "normal driving".

The corner cases are another matter!

Just two days ago I had to veer around some asphalt paving. There was a flagman telling me to take a wide circle around the paving machine. (FYI, I live in one of the most affluent areas in my state). Also I travel a lot. Do you know how many times I encounter a flagman for closed lanes? Every year! Every single year. And none of this...well, if you don't see a problem with FSD Tesla robottaxis refusing to obey cops or flagmen or whoever directing traffic, then Houston, we have a problem.

Reactions: Drax7
I know people in general aren't very good at changing their opinions based on new information, but if you start seeing Model 3s everywhere only the really dumb people will still insist that they aren't realistic vehicles.

There is a phenomena that I have observed called the bigger fool. It works something like when the neighbor says, "Gee, are you still buying gasoline?" If others aren't paying for something then they feel foolish for being stuck paying for something others avoid or get free. It is a pretty strong motivator at some point.

I firmly believe that a vast majority of TSLAQ people, at least the ones out there on social media being stupid, are the same group that runs around saying that climate change is a hoax and that Obama is a secret muslim.

Yup absolutely, and I think a LOT of those people have never left the USA, have NO IDEA how big china is, or its potential EV market, and no idea how big Europe is, and how pro-environment (relatively) it is to the USA. I'm sure a time will come when teslas USA sales are seen as a niche afterthought, but if you said that to a TSLAQ person their head would explode.
So I look forward to viewing said explosions as the china/Europe numbers start rising. Especially Model 3 in the UK, which I think will be way bigger than anybody expects.

The latest US figures are good, and put an end to some of the more frothing lunatic bullshit from the TSLAQ maniacs, but the total figures, including Europe, will be even better.

EU numbers are actually not that brilliant so far. We are looking at only 4000 or so total deliveries S/X/3 in May. S and X remain extremely weak with both around 500 cars each with no Raven cars available. Hopefully China is doing better. As last quarter everything will be decided in the final two weeks of the quarter.

You should probably get your wife's permission before buying back in if you promised her to cut back at $180. Maybe set up a few different scenarios and get her take on it. :)

Something I hope he and his wife understand about investing in a company: The key is to cut back at a HIGH price and build up at a LOW price.
So I've promised myself I'll cut back at $360, and again at $380, and again at $400.

Or look at Aptera. That car was beautiful. I wanted to drive that alien space pod around town. A few messups and... no company.
OT
@neroden
the Aptera looks like a longer Sylph (late 1980's early 90's)
Sylph Three Wheeler - Micro Hydro - Free Energy Planet

upload_2019-6-4_11-35-43.png

• Love
Reactions: Nathan and neroden
I know Elon's guidance was still a loss for Q2 back at the Q1 Earnings call (presumably being conservative), but I don't see how this is going to be another quarterly loss if record deliveries happen. Tesla made $312 mln profit with just 83k deliveries in Q3'18 and $50 mln ZEV credits. With presumably higher ZEV credits in Q2, $250 mln profit is not too far-fetched for the S&P500 inclusion. If deliveries are >95k, which I think is plausible given the spill over form last quarter and the massive inventory sales this quarter, the SP will pop ~$100 easily.

Despite higher deliveries, fewer S/X and more 3 could wipe out the GAAP profit. It should still be close to breakeven (certainly not -700 million like Q1).

I started harping on the effect of the tax credit drop back in 2017 and was laughed at for thinking demand would be affected.
I still assert that it doesn't affect long-term (multi-year) demand; it has a very definite and obvious pullforward effect though (leading to "feast and famine").

LOL you've heard of at least ONE upgrade and can't find it? That's 80% of a Speck of information.

I'm waiting for an MCU upgrade myself and have only seen two tweets from Elon to document that it exists. I spoke to an Austin-based FSD engineer who said MCU2 is designed to be a drop-in replacement for MCU1... same connectors and all that. I have a friend whose MCU1 broke and he claims they gave him an MCU2 as part of the warranty fix... but I haven't seen it for myself and don't believe it until I do. I spoke to my local Tesla service folks about the upgrade, and they say MCU2 has issues. Haven't heard anyone talk about MCU3 or 4 except you in that post! I don't think it will happen at all, and will probably have to buy another car with my MCU2 wrapped around it. :)

Thanks for the info. MCU2 was designed as a drop-in replacement and a FEW people got it. But this was all before the Autopilot / self-driving stuff.

I believe I've heard that there are later (post-MCU2) variations of the MCU for the cars which have the self-driving stuff and that cars are not designed to be upgraded to these versions; I haven't heard names for them.

I'm always amazed at the mental games people play with their money and how they think about things.

At the end of your Model X lease:

1. You will either have access to enough money to buy out your lease or not.
2. Your investment in Tesla will be worth a certain amount, maybe more than you paid, maybe less.
3. You will either buy out the lease or not.

While all of these things may be somewhat related, money is money, it doesn't matter where it came from.

Agree it's a pure mindgame. Let me explain my thinking -

I ordered the MX the very night of watching Autonomy day presentation live. My perception of Tesla completely changed that day. I see it as a computer company which makes cars.

Regarding financial, I had an option to go for lease (2.5% Annual) or do complete down payment. I chose the lease option and put the guaranteed residual value after 3 years in the stock. At the end of 3 years we will see how it goes.

Agree it may not be a financially wise decision - though I really hope that the company succeeds with its mission. Its too important to fail at this stage.