Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many disagrees here, but apparently Tesla agrees with me that the Supercharger price increases are risky. Smart move Tesla
They are only risky until people learn more about EVs.
99% of charging is done at home, so the Supercharger price is mostly irrelevant. In fact, when I do take a road trip, I want Superchargers stalls to be available and prices to be high enough to keep everybody who doesn't need to be there out of there.

They are only risky until people learn more about EVs.
99% of charging is done at home, so the Supercharger price is mostly irrelevant. In fact, when I do take a road trip, I want Superchargers stalls to be available and prices to be high enough to keep everybody who doesn't need to be there out of there.

I keep seeing numbers like 99% of charging is done at home. I'm just one data point, but 75% of my charging is done at Superchargers because 75% of my Tesla driving is long road trips away from home. Supercharger pricing is not irrelevant.

Taycan is also 2+2 seats, while Model S is 5+2. I do expect some cross-shopping and certainly every media outlet will compare the two, but I agree that it will do more damage among the German sports sedans and very likely Porsche`s own than in Model S sales.

The Audi e-tron GT (built on the Taycan platform) should more be a Model S competitor.

Taycan interior (Concept, won't see actual production version for a while.)

images

911 rear seats.

images

Taycan may end up as a 4 passenger vehicle but it is certainly not a 2+2.

IMO the rear Captain chairs in the Concept will turn into a three person bench when in production form.

BTW When a car is referred to as a 2+2 it usually means 2 door sports car like the 911. Taycan will have 4 doors.

Last edited:
I'm not on the happy side of this :(

Yes, of course cheaper stuff is always great. And yes, of course it is great to listen to your customers. But Fred's screaming and complaining is becoming a nuisance. Ever since the time he bought a car he started to have too much skin in the game and used his blog to his own advantage.

In my mind Supercharger are a tool for long-distance travel. I like the idea that early buyers get a an advantage here on the network and the price adjustment was a way to also maintain value on the "free super charging for life" cars. More importantly, I think that building out the network is really important.

I get why Tesla reduced the price: they most likely want to counter the "it is cheaper to drive a Camry than to super charge" argument that started to float around. But I'm a bit disappointed we got to this point...

Yes, I think the problem is that the truth is more nuanced. A Camry can't fill up at home 95% of the time at much cheaper prices. This is why I think Tesla needs to start doing more traditional advertising to get their own message out. Stop relying on bloggers who have their own agenda like Fred.

For example Tesla could run an ad that emphasizes the costs and convenience of waking up every morning with a full charge and with the supercharger network you don't need a 2nd car for road trips. Compared to a Camry, isn't it nice to put your kids into the car without having to inhale exhaust fumes. There's a lot of opportunities to change the narrative, but Tesla has to start by telling their version of the story.

IMO the rear Captain chains in the Concept will turn into a three person bench when in production form.

This sort of thing is what I hate about "concept cars" from mainstream manufacturers - they design in things that they know very well will not actually go into production. It's a massive "bait and switch" play.

From what I've seen, Tesla's production vehicles are just as likely (if not more likely) to be better than its "concepts". I never get a sense from their concepts that they designed in anything that they didn't think (at the time) would go into production. Practicality (manufacturing, usage, price, etc) hit some aspects, but so do improvements.

Two quick question.

1) Will you be charging at home?
2) What is your daily miles driven on average?

The answers to these two questions with determine how relevant the distance to the nearest Supercharger is.

Dan

We currently charge at home. (We are an all EV family). I don’t care about a Supercharger or fast charger within 100 km of me as I would never use them. , it’s the routes outside of that where good coverage is important. But Chademo and CCS are expanding much faster than Tesla so yah, it’s important.

I keep seeing numbers like 99% of charging is done at home. I'm just one data point, but 75% of my charging is done at Superchargers because 75% of my Tesla driving is long road trips away from home. Supercharger pricing is not irrelevant.
No, it is not irrelevant but your vehicle usage is not statistically typical. That's the thing about statistics, they are of absolutely no use if they don't pertain to you. There will always be people like yourself that need the Supercharger network to justify their ownership of the car. Sure glad they HAVE such a network! ;)

Dan

I'm not on the happy side of this :(

Yes, of course cheaper stuff is always great. And yes, of course it is great to listen to your customers. But Fred's screaming and complaining is becoming a nuisance. Ever since the time he bought a car he started to have too much skin in the game and used his blog to his own advantage.

In my mind Supercharger are a tool for long-distance travel. I like the idea that early buyers get a an advantage here on the network and the price adjustment was a way to also maintain value on the "free super charging for life" cars. More importantly, I think that building out the network is really important.

I get why Tesla reduced the price: they most likely want to counter the "it is cheaper to drive a Camry than to super charge" argument that started to float around. But I'm a bit disappointed we got to this point...

I'll put it concisely:

I don't want cheap superchargers. I want numerous, powerful superchargers.

maybe not irrelevant, but if you are charging on the go I'd expect you to appreciate having stalls available due to pricing pressure encouraging others to do home charging.

The bottom line is, while the pricing changes certainly represent an increase in rate, their value to Tesla is unlikely to be that substantial and is still in the territory of cost recovery. Most comparisons are strictly rate-to-rate without accounting for installation and maintenance costs. Compare this to competitors who have made it clear that any charging network would be run as a profit center.

IMO the Tesla supercharger network continues to represent a significant advantage, and I expect this to continue into the future.