Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny pics

Nice... I appreciate the humor, not to mention to philosophy - I have to deal with "design by committee" mentality every. single. day. It took me 20 years to become senior enough to be able to ignore it, but that's just a sob story!

Anyhoo - Given Tesla has made many of their patents effectively open source, AND given that a proliferation of charging standards benefits precisely no one, and could ultimately hinder EV adoption more broadly (which is Elon's stated aim), I stand by the comment.

This isn't about analysis paralysis or stagnation by committee, it's about 1) sharing the burden of building out an EV infrastructure to support 100 million cars domestically and 1 billion cars globally and 2) Getting the economies of scale necessary to sell $18k EVs at a profit, when you can't rely on oil changes and timing chain failures to fund your bottom line.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV and Icer
Nice... I appreciate the humor, not to mention to philosophy - I have to deal with "design by committee" mentality every. single. day. It took me 20 years to become senior enough to be able to ignore it, but that's just a sob story!

Anyhoo - Given Tesla has made many of their patents effectively open source, AND given that a proliferation of charging standards benefits precisely no one, and could ultimately hinder EV adoption more broadly (which is Elon's stated aim), I stand by the comment.

This isn't about analysis paralysis or stagnation by committee, it's about 1) sharing the burden of building out an EV infrastructure to support 100 million cars domestically and 1 billion cars globally and 2) Getting the economies of scale necessary to sell $18k EVs at a profit, when you can't rely on oil changes and timing chain failures to fund your bottom line.

And I stand by my post.

Joining BMW and Jaguar BEV efforts is combining two committees. Results are predictable.

Elon makes mistakes. But Tesla is his vision. And Tesla gets closer to perfect than anyone else.

Considering the average ~30 legal chess moves per position that's an effective evaluation speed of around 30^6 = hundreds of millions of positions per move - with the overwhelming majority discarded and not consciously evaluated. Considering the average chess move is ~135 seconds that gives a human grandmaster effective position evaluation speed that is better than AlphaZero's.

R u sayin karen plays chess as poorly as an Atari?

It’s all fake dude. TT007 fell off the face of the earth. Just buy buy buy. Sell your kids sell your Tesla sell your mechanical pencils just buy

007's last tweet
Looks like winter has come early to Ser Trader of the ChartWatch...

Some may like this:
Microsoft Excel can provide real-time stock data

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Okay, had my dad do some research on this Beijing deal.

1. As of 2019, all EVs in Beijing will be part of the lottery system in getting a plate, while in 2018 any EVs will receive a plate. The lottery system is it's own entity and does not compete within the ICE lottery system, which means the odds of getting a plate is greater.

2. EV plates only last for the duration of the car's life cycle..which is determined by the government. I can't find any data for Beijing but in Shanghai, the life of an EV is 8 years vs 10 years for ICE. This means after 8 years of owning the EV, it will need to be crushed (maybe reconditioned?). ICE gets the benefit of transferring their plate to a new car while EV owners will need to get a new plate.

3. EV owners can drive on Beijing road ANYTIME of the week vs ICE owners who can only drive every other day

4. Any EVs produced by an off brand, cheap brand, or brands that lack good quality control company will not qualify for plates ever.

5. Once the owner has an EV plate, they will no longer qualify for any ICE plates and will be barred from the ICE plate lottery system.

So the Tesla deal in Beijing is this.

3 years leased 0% interest free for LRs
A plate is included for the duration of the lease at no charge (according to Tesla is worth 20k yuan/year).

My dad's hunch is that Tesla made a local deal with the DMV and purchased a bunch of corporate plates for this advertisement. The plate and the car are still considered Tesla's since it's a lease. He also commented that barely anyone lease in China, but the ease of getting the ability to drive anytime of the week and not having to be in a lottery system for an EV plate is probably worth it. Also the life of the EV and its plate as mandated by the government is 8 years..so another thing to think about since owning an EV long term is probably not as economical as first thought.

Plates are extremely expensive to purchase 2nd hand in Beijing and not ideal since the seller of the plate is fully responsible for any car accidents the driver ends up committing in the court of law.

Last edited:
Linette Lopez just put out a trash hit piece regarding a Model 3 crash. I won't provide the link because they need to die as a business publication. :mad:

OMFG, she's jumped the friction' shark here (we really need a ROFLOL emoji BTW)

'Suspension problems have dogged Tesla Model S and X vehicles for years to the point that observers on the internet have started referring to them as "whompy wheels."'

Pretty sure the ICE manufacturers are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. The last paragraph says this:

"Tesla has only survived as long as it has because of the generous government exemptions it receives at the state and federal levels," said Appleton. "The clean air credits have allowed Tesla to stay in business as long as it has because middle class car buyers have floated it."

When it should say this:

“GM has only survived as long as it has because of the generous government carbon exemptions it receives at the state and federal levels. The clean air credits allow GM to sell high emission cars and stay in business as long as it has because middle class car buyers have floated it by buying Teslas."
This needs to be a Facebook meme. Somebody with good graphics skills needs to make something like this go viral.

Edit -
THIS part should go viral, I mean:

“GM has only survived as long as it has because of the generous government carbon exemptions it receives at the state and federal levels. The clean air credits allow GM to sell high emission cars and stay in business as long as it has because middle class car buyers have floated it by buying Teslas."

Last edited:
Also the life of the EV and its plate as mandated by the government is 8 years..so another thing to think about since owning an EV long term is probably not as economical as first thought.
After eight years, couldn't a Beijing-registered EV simply be re-sold into a less restrictive jurisdiction, i.e., a smaller town?

Which is why I will NEVER again recommend that someone buy a Nissan Leaf, even if they live in a colder climate. IMO, Nissan has spurned a lot of future EV buyers by delivering a product that is not ready for introduction in a hot climate, and continued/continues to do that for many years after knowing about their battery issue. Too many half-baked weirdmobiles will slow down EV adoption, not accelerate it like Tesla. The poor real world range of the eTron will certainly used in the FUD against all EV's, including Tesla.
I agree - this is one reason I think it's very important to support Tesla. The only way I recommend that anyone purchase a LEAF is if it's cheap, used, and intended for use in a moderate climate. Sub-par EVs still have useful value when acquired at bargain prices. Our old LEAF serves as our beater car so that we can keep our Teslas nice.