Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I stand by my post.

Joining BMW and Jaguar BEV efforts is combining two committees. Results are predictable.

Elon makes mistakes. But Tesla is his vision. And Tesla gets closer to perfect than anyone else.

I'm not talking about Tesla, I am talking about other car companies - they have to combine efforts at this point. If Tesla could have stood on the shoulder of some other giant, they would have, or if anyone else was taking it as seriously as them, they may have helped each other out. But no one did.

Also as far as charging goes specifically, generic 300kw chargers we can all use isn't something any Tesla driver would turn down. So far other entrants seem to be trying really hard to mess it up, so I am not holding my breath, but someday they'll get there.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Media
I have reduced media to the individuals.
Generically, i dont trust any of the organizations.

Hull, Kulodney, Niedermeyer, Alex Roy are solid, I believe honest.

Tim Higgins I wouldnt trust as far as I could throw him

Russ from LAT seems honest, but a bit ticked off lately, not sure why.

Charley grant is uneven.
Praised that fellow the other day
who talked about "model 3 Fires"
and faked profit from "not paying AP"

There have not been any M3 fires, right?
And,. NVM
Sometimes, facts should matter, Charley.
Finance/Investment people have their profit interest,
so I stash the thought, look for multiple confirmations

Fred? Seems to be trying to be honest,
but until he takes those two roadsters out
of his back pocket, I suspect an agenda
Same with Seth.
Least credible?
LL
1 personal issue with Elon
2 Hardcore leftist
3 Gets all her stories from TslaQ, without crediting folks
Finally:
4-100 Business insider
Business insider is owned by a German media giant,
and run by a convicted criminal
who was banned for life from the securities industry

LL is nice enough kid, not a personal thing with me.
Not hating on her, but I think she is a
convenient tool, unwittingly
serving an agenda she hasn't even imagined

The old auto companies are jumping in the same dinghy together as the ICE industry slowly goes under...

BMW and Jaguar Land Rover to jointly develop electric car parts

When innovation disrupts, the old guys try to merge to survive, but then together, sink.
wonder if/when one of the oldies will get over their hubris and formally partner with the non-sinker, Tesla? that could be a nice potential revenue stream depending on how the partnership were structured and might give the stock a nice pop. Who'd be the most likely candidates? & for what car components or technologies?

Reactions: UncaNed and Icer
Sorry, but your list are of the best of the worst (except for Alex Roy, he's just mercurial), who only try to appear even-handed. Linette Lopez has gone off the deep end, ever since she relied on Martin Tripp. She's not "just a tool", since as a journalist, it's her responsibility to verify her facts/sources. Niedermeyer deserves a special place in hell, since he started Tesla DeathWatch, and was responsible for bringing up "Whompy Wheels". Edit: I'd give Fred a pass for his roadster bias.

Here are some better journalists:
Daniel Sparks @ Motley Fool
David Tracy / Michael Ballaban @ Jalopnik (avoid Ryan Felton - although haven't seen him around lately)

Media
I have reduced media to the individuals.
Generically, i dont trust any of the organizations.

Hull, Kulodney, Niedermeyer, Alex Roy are solid, I believe honest.

Tim Higgins I wouldnt trust as far as I could throw him

Russ from LAT seems honest, but a bit ticked off lately, not sure why.

Charley grant is uneven.
Praised that fellow the other day
who talked about "model 3 Fires"
and faked profit from "not paying AP"

There have not been any M3 fires, right?
And,. NVM
Sometimes, facts should matter, Charley.
Finance/Investment people have their profit interest,
so I stash the thought, look for multiple confirmations

Fred? Seems to be trying to be honest,
but until he takes those two roadsters out
of his back pocket, I suspect an agenda
Same with Seth.
Least credible?
LL
1 personal issue with Elon
2 Hardcore leftist
3 Gets all her stories from TslaQ, without crediting folks
Finally:
4-100 Business insider
Business insider is owned by a German media giant,
and run by a convicted criminal
who was banned for life from the securities industry

LL is nice enough kid, not a personal thing with me.
Not hating on her, but I think she is a
convenient tool, unwittingly
serving an agenda she hasn't even imagined

I'm not talking about Tesla, I am talking about other car companies - they have to combine efforts at this point. If Tesla could have stood on the shoulder of some other giant, they would have, or if anyone else was taking it as seriously as them, they may have helped each other out. But no one did.

Also as far as charging goes specifically, generic 300kw chargers we can all use isn't something any Tesla driver would turn down. So far other entrants seem to be trying really hard to mess it up, so I am not holding my breath, but someday they'll get there.

And I am talking about the Horse AND the Camel.

Tesla is the horse and the legacy automakers are the camels.

350 kW chargers between Los Angeles and Vegas?

Camels have some uses.

All those fancy numbers are meaningless unless we know how the hell Tesla got those plates and how many they got. You can't sell a car in Beijing if the customer can't drive it. This sounds like a shady back door deal with no specific details. It smells fishy

How the hell did Tesla get to 100% own their factory in Shanghai? Smells fishy.

Or how about this; Elon/Tesla are persuasive, really and truly want to do the right thing for the world, make deals that equally benefit all parties involved and you know, the world is changing because it has to or we die a horrible death.

Sorry, but your list are of the best of the worst (except for Alex Roy, he's just mercurial), who only try to appear even-handed. Linette Lopez has gone off the deep end, ever since she relied on Martin Tripp. She's not "just a tool", since as a journalist, it's her responsibility to verify her facts/sources. Niedermeyer deserves a special place in hell, since he started Tesla DeathWatch, and was responsible for bringing up "Whompy Wheels". Edit: I'd give Fred a pass for his roadster bias.
David Tracy / Michael Ballaban @ Jalopnik (avoid Ryan Felton - although haven't seen him around lately)

How about this total hit-job which just appeared on my yahoo news feed:

Tesla's European Demand Problems Offer a Stark Warning

What a yahoo. (Quote: Model S and X = Dead platforms walking)

Okay, had my dad do some research on this Beijing deal.

1. As of 2019, all EVs in Beijing will be part of the lottery system in getting a plate, while in 2018 any EVs will receive a plate. The lottery system is it's own entity and does not compete within the ICE lottery system, which means the odds of getting a plate is greater.

2. EV plates only last for the duration of the car's life cycle..which is determined by the government. I can't find any data for Beijing but in Shanghai, the life of an EV is 8 years vs 10 years for ICE. This means after 8 years of owning the EV, it will need to be crushed (maybe reconditioned?). ICE gets the benefit of transferring their plate to a new car while EV owners will need to get a new plate.

3. EV owners can drive on Beijing road ANYTIME of the week vs ICE owners who can only drive every other day

4. Any EVs produced by an off brand, cheap brand, or brands that lack good quality control company will not qualify for plates ever.

5. Once the owner has an EV plate, they will no longer qualify for any ICE plates and will be barred from the ICE plate lottery system.

So the Tesla deal in Beijing is this.

3 years leased 0% interest free for LRs
A plate is included for the duration of the lease at no charge (according to Tesla is worth 20k yuan/year).

My dad's hunch is that Tesla made a local deal with the DMV and purchased a bunch of corporate plates for this advertisement. The plate and the car are still considered Tesla's since it's a lease. He also commented that barely anyone lease in China, but the ease of getting the ability to drive anytime of the week and not having to be in a lottery system for an EV plate is probably worth it. Also the life of the EV and its plate as mandated by the government is 8 years..so another thing to think about since owning an EV long term is probably not as economical as first thought.

Plates are extremely expensive to purchase 2nd hand in Beijing and not ideal since the seller of the plate is fully responsible for any car accidents the driver ends up committing in the court of law.
thanks. The key is that Tesla should price its car competitively irrespective of the incentives. As someone suggested the China model 3 price is less than equivalent 3 series. This itself is a big reason why they will sell well. China has a large luxury market.

Reactions: Artful Dodger

Lopez just straight up makes things up. Every. Single. Article. She writes is false. That was true even before the Tripp fiasco(remember the “roll out test” that was supposedly a necessary test Tesla was skipping? The one that turned out about 30 seconds after her article was published to be a short cut to get around doing a longer test Tesla was performing?).