Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think someone must have hacked that animation. 'Cause today we learned that the Model 3 has a serious demand problem and the cheaper Chevy Bolt is every bit as desirable as a Tesla Model 3. ;)

On the other hand, I've never seen teenage girls scream and jump up and down when a Chevrolet Bolt cruises by...
Every time I see a Bolt I laugh. Not because there is anything wrong with it. Just that it's compared to a Model 3 so frequently. I stare at in amazement that someone would actually buy that instead of a Tesla.

How do you think the Tesla brand is viewed in China? It looks like there is a noticeable drop in average load times per carrier headed to China this quarter compared to last, leading me to believe less cars per ship.

Yeah, the Chinese hate the Tesla brand. That factory they’re building for Tesla at a record pace with money from Chinese banks is just a ? Potemkin Village? A ‘let’s see how fast we can put up a factory not owned by us at all for poos and giggles’?

These leaks are really bad. This sets up even very good P&D numbers as a miss. Much better for Wall St to continue to believe in demand problems and get a +ve surprise.

I think overly optimistic target delivery estimates by analysts are way more damaging, as it adjusts the “street expectation” upward.

Fred’s reporting doesn’t really matter much, just read the doomsayer comments in his article, ridiculing him for making these rosy predictions. They’re saying 65K or 77K at most for Q2 deliveries and expecting a total disaster for Tesla.

Btw, I’m at the TU-Automotive Detroit event and it’s amazing how the locals here have been brainwashed into believing Tesla will go bankrupt soon. These are highly educated engineers working on autonomous vehicles, connected cars, and mobility for the OEMs & their suppliers.

Last edited:
Climate change could pose ‘existential threat’ to humanity by 2050, advocates say

Above link works better. Scary stuff.

The warming will also bring more than 20 days annually of "lethal heat conditions, beyond the threshold of human survivability, scientists report. Deadly heat conditions will persist for more than 100 days a year in west Africa, tropical South America, the Middle East and southeast Asia, which will displace more than a billion people from those areas.

The destabilization of the jet stream will significantly affect the intensity and geographical distribution of monsoons in Asia and west Africa and bring more extreme devastating weather, including wildfires, heatwaves, drought and inundation, to North America.

A number of ecosystems will collapse as well, including coral reef systems and the Amazon rain forest, and water supplies will sharply decrease in the most affected regions at lower latitudes, including the dry tropics and subtropics. This will make agriculture nominal in those areas, affecting 2 billion people worldwide.'

"Massive nonlinear events in the global environment give rise to massive linear societal events," the report states. "In this scenario, nations around the world will be overwhelmed by the scale of change and pandemic disease."

The only way to avoid these results and restore the world to a safe climate would be "akin in scale to the World War II emergency mobilization" that would include implementing a zero-emissions industrial system "very quickly," according to the analysis.

"Climate change now represents a near- to mid-term existential threat to human civilization," the report states.

This isn't about analysis paralysis or stagnation by committee, it's about 1) sharing the burden of building out an EV infrastructure to support 100 million cars domestically and 1 billion cars globally and 2) Getting the economies of scale necessary to sell $18k EVs at a profit, when you can't rely on oil changes and timing chain failures to fund your bottom line.

:rolleyes:

I call bs.

Everyone had a chance to ‘share the burden’ and ‘get economies of scale’ by joining Tesla YEARS ago.

Climate change could pose ‘existential threat’ to humanity by 2050, advocates say

Above link works better. Scary stuff.

The warming will also bring more than 20 days annually of "lethal heat conditions, beyond the threshold of human survivability, scientists report. Deadly heat conditions will persist for more than 100 days a year in west Africa, tropical South America, the Middle East and southeast Asia, which will displace more than a billion people from those areas.

The destabilization of the jet stream will significantly affect the intensity and geographical distribution of monsoons in Asia and west Africa and bring more extreme devastating weather, including wildfires, heatwaves, drought and inundation, to North America.

A number of ecosystems will collapse as well, including coral reef systems and the Amazon rain forest, and water supplies will sharply decrease in the most affected regions at lower latitudes, including the dry tropics and subtropics. This will make agriculture nominal in those areas, affecting 2 billion people worldwide.'

"Massive nonlinear events in the global environment give rise to massive linear societal events," the report states. "In this scenario, nations around the world will be overwhelmed by the scale of change and pandemic disease."

The only way to avoid these results and restore the world to a safe climate would be "akin in scale to the World War II emergency mobilization" that would include implementing a zero-emissions industrial system "very quickly," according to the analysis.

"Climate change now represents a near- to mid-term existential threat to human civilization," the report states.
Can’t wait to say “told you so” to all my denier friends as we’re dying. I’m sure they will just say it’s natural weather fluctuations and that we just got unlucky to be alive during this one. Either that or they will blame it on Al Gore’s big house and private jet.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and madodel
I think someone must have hacked that animation. 'Cause today we learned that the Model 3 has a serious demand problem and the cheaper Chevy Bolt is every bit as desirable as a Tesla Model 3. ;)

On the other hand, I've never seen teenage girls scream and jump up and down when a Chevrolet Bolt cruises by...

They’re screaming about all the money they paid for their gas cars going towards your Tesla.

Yeah, the Chinese hate the Tesla brand. That factory they’re building for Tesla at a record pace with money from Chinese banks is just a ? Potemkin Village? A ‘let’s see how fast we can put up a factory not owned by us at all for poos and giggles’?

Thats fine, the Chinese government does not equal the Chinese people. If you followed the carriers you would notice there has been a noticeable drop in average loading time for Chinese bound carriers.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
If Tesla could have stood on the shoulder of some other giant, they would have,

No they would not have. To suggest that means you don’t know Elon Musk.

or if anyone else was taking it as seriously as them, they may have helped each other out. But no one did.

Tesla offered a partnership to anyone who wanted it from the get go. It’s thought that one, perhaps two, OEMs talked with Elon but that his terms were unacceptable or maybe more accurately the OEM/s didn’t have the technology to use a Tesla SuperCharger...and still don’t.

They’re saying 65K or 77K at most for Q2 deliveries and expecting a total disaster for Tesla.
What I don't understand is - why is even 65k or 77k "total disaster" ?

Q1 level 65k deliveries will net ~ $350M in operating cash flow, 77k will net $490M. I don't think people have understood what happenned in Q1. Entire negative operating cash flow ($639M) was because of inventory buildup ($809M) that they could not deliver.

I just tell people that fusion is a solved problem, we just need to collect all that free energy. ;)

Though strictly speaking there are, er, quite a few moving parts in a star. Just sayin’. :p

Someone posted this as a comment to an article I was reading. I can see the federal grant application almost write itself...

upload_2019-6-5_23-25-11.png

No they would not have. To suggest that means you don’t know Elon Musk.

Tesla offered a partnership to anyone who wanted it from the get go. It’s thought that one, perhaps two, OEMs talked with Elon but that his terms were unacceptable or maybe more accurately the OEM/s didn’t have the technology to use a Tesla SuperCharger...and still don’t.

Elon said on the Ride the Lightning podcast released last weekend that he had received zero inquiries from any other manufacturers about participating in the supercharger network

I agree - this is one reason I think it's very important to support Tesla. The only way I recommend that anyone purchase a LEAF is if it's cheap, used, and intended for use in a moderate climate. Sub-par EVs still have useful value when acquired at bargain prices. Our old LEAF serves as our beater car so that we can keep our Teslas nice.

I would agree. I bought a Leaf new when the incentives were great as a relatively cheap way to get into an EV. But, even at a 16K net new cost, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else due to the battery. I've been pretty lucky with mine as it has been a trouble free commuter. It's 3.5 years old and hasn't lost any capacity bars and I have a short commute when I don't work from home, so I drive it most days. The Tesla is the long distance car and it's been so unlucky, I'm not crazy about parking it at the packed Sams Club parking lot or my work parking lot. So, the Leaf became the around town beater.