Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was covered in Elon's original comments.

He's still saying feature complete by the end of the year, but you will still have to monitor. Then sometime in 2020 work to remove that monitoring. Then sometime after that work with regulatory agencies so that there doesn't need to be a driver at all in the car.

He even addressed the whole 1 million robotaxi thing that spun inaccurately by the media. Basically that they will have 1 million Tesla vehicles on the road that are hardware capable of being a robotaxi if you pay for the FSD upgrade. Not that they will necessarily all be working as a robotaxi in 2020.

What other questions did you need answered?

Oh yes, my bad. I was referring to the questions but Elon covered it in his presentation.

I could see this superimposed on the YouTube feed while Elon was responding to that one...

giphy.gif

We get it. Elon doesn't want to advertise. But some small targeted marketing would go a long way. The questioner's point is valid: lots of otherwise smart folks believe the company is doomed. That's a problem. The current approach isn't sufficient as the company aims to continue growing at a high rate.
After this meeting I think I am on board with no advertising (or very limited). As long as demand exceeds supply then no need to advertise (traditional advertising). That would just take money from R&D. Rate of innovation is the most important thing as with each iteration the battery cost/efficiency/quality improve. That is the biggest determining factor in making EV a sustained and mass market reality. As many resources as possible must go into technology iterations.

Sure glad to see you are so modest neroden...
Well, I'm on record as saying, YEARS AGO, that "driveable space" was far too simplistic a notion, and explaining what was needed.

Here, Musk gets on stage and explains that they RECENTLY figured out that "driveable space" was far too simplistic a notion, and explaining that they're implementing some of the things I said they needed to implement...

....yeah, I could have saved them a couple of years. Honest to God, if Musk just had lunch with me once a month it would probably save them from a lot of mistakes.

Because I'm so stupid, I'm going to ask this about Maxwell (had it on my mind for a while): Since Maxwell's big selling point is the Super capacitor which can take a full charge almost instantly, and Tesla's issue is it takes a half hour to 45 minutes to charge, why couldn't they be combined so that the capacitor takes the charge quickly and then in turn charges the battery pack as you're driving?

Is this conceivable/doable/sensible?

Well, I'm on record as saying, YEARS AGO, that "driveable space" was far too simplistic a notion, and explaining what was needed.

Here, Musk gets on stage and explains that they RECENTLY figured out that "driveable space" was far too simplistic a notion, and explaining that they're implementing some of the things I said they needed to implement...

....yeah, I could have saved them a couple of years. Honest to God, if Musk just had lunch with me once a month it would probably save them from a lot of mistakes.
And that's why we love you dude!

Okay here are my concerns so we are not out of the woods yet.

1. Elon pretty much guided for cash flow positive vs GAAP+ from this point forward
2. Currently FSD does not seem as advanced as the video made out to be. Elon said "releasing the dev version out to the public will be a really bad idea". His tone make it sound like current FSD software will have a high chance of killing you.
3. Tesla is now cell limited and it's hindering their growth. They have solutions in line such as the Maxwell acquisition, but raw material limitation may be next and Tesla has no solution for that except "go in the business of mining".

I wouldn't be celebrating yet, the sentiment is positive but there are plenty of ammo for bears to attack this company.

Because I'm so stupid, I'm going to ask this about Maxwell (had it on my mind for a while): Since Maxwell's big selling point is the Super capacitor which can take a full charge almost instantly, and Tesla's issue is it takes a half hour to 45 minutes to charge, why couldn't they be combined so that the capacitor takes the charge quickly and then in turn charges the battery pack as you're driving?

No, it isn't. Supercaps are too big/heavy/expensive for that kind of use.

No, because supercaps are heavy and very expensive. Basically you can only afford to put a very small number of them into a car.

Could see 'em in the Roadster 2 of course, since it's full of ridiculous things.

The Supercaps are NOT the big selling point, it's their dry battery electrode technology. Caps are not yet near energy dense enough or cheap enough to make any sense in a passenger EV.

The Supercaps are NOT the big selling point, it's their dry battery electrode technology.
This. They're going to apply the dry electrode technology pretty much ASAP. We already know it makes the entire battery manfacturing process quicker, makes it take up less space in the factory, makes it use less energy, requires less chemicals, and makes batteries which are higher energy density. (Whew!) That's a lot of benefits.

Elon didn't answer one question about timetable FSD. Be prepared that it will take a while

He said feature complete later this year, which means you still need to watch closely, then sometime next year you probably don't need to intervene. I need to re-listen the recording to find the exact wording. I think he gave the same message and timeline he has been giving for a while. I do agree with you its better to prepare for delays.

Reactions: neroden
Also is Elon ever gonna answer why he’s opposed to advertising besides some philosophical reason? His advertising stance is just straight up stupid.

It’s not stupid to have a moral and ethical compass, unless you’re someone who doesn’t have one to begin with. Then you’d think it was stupid.

His philosophical opposition is entirely valid and it’s his ethical and moral philosophies that caused Tesla cars to have the lowest probability of injuries, and caused Tesla to be proactive and overly cautious concerning recalls, and caused a several month delay for new S owners when the original new seats weren’t 5* rated, and it caused Tesla to remain a public company last year, and on the list goes.

Whatever they do it should me more that what they are doing now. Simple word of mouth is not enough - at least not until a majority of people use EVs.

Wake up! Musk let it be known that production is going reasonably well and there is no demand problem. They are selling every car they can make, advertising will not accelerate their goals, not even a little bit!

Musk gave credit for the unfulfillable demand to Tesla shareholders and owners who recommend the product but I think he did a real disservice to the people who designed, engineered and built the cars. They sell well because they are incredible products priced right. Tesla gets the credit here.

Sales are phenomenal! By revenue, the Model 3 is the best selling car in America! It has outsold even mainstream cars like the Toyota Avalon and Honda Accord. This is a huge achievement!