Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's strange that they only brought 2 people to the stage: JB and JB's right-hand man. My wild guess is they are preparing for a smooth transition. I hope it will not be a big deal in the end.

Also I'm glad two suggestions were brought up: experimental ride sharing and one webpage with all the info (EV's advantages and to fight FUD). We discussed these two ideas in the past. It seems Elon likes both suggestions. I hope they will appoint someone to make those things happen quickly.

This makes no sense ... it means the FUD is somehow helping Tesla not to have to much demand now.
It is not about the current demand, it is about the brand image.
That image is already hurting due to the FUD and it will continue to do so if elon continues doing nothing about it.

Yes. But also, consider what we will be seeing on our roads in 1-2 years' time. Loads and loads and loads of Model 3s, and increasing numbers of Model Ys. Each of us will know someone who own one (other than ourselves). The same way you wouldn't believe someone telling you today that BMWs crap out all the time and they are dangerous because they self-combust, people will be less likely to believe similar narratives concerning Tesla pretty soon.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Why can't they put PR team together who focus on this? Get crowdsourced suggestions, try whatever they can come up with rather than the current state of "we don't know what to do"?
This.

He doesn't have to solve this problem himself.
I'm a bit disappointed with the answer.
"We'll put rebuttals on one web page..." who's going to look for it there?
It's a start, actually. A normal PR team usually has an entire web page full of resources for lazy reporters to use. Tesla should have one.

Bottom line: we do not need to advertise. We need to put our head down, constrain costs, and make as many cars as possible. This is the best possible narrative for the company and stock price.

Each car *is* an advertisement - more effective than a billboard. They are making 7000 advertisements a week.

Most pertinent tidbits, imo:
Model 3 is highest sales revenue car in all of America.
Chance to have a record quarter.
Selling more cars than can make / no demand problem / no need to advertise to increase demand.
Can only rollout new products to the extent that battery supply allows.
Semi production likely to start late 2020.
Pickup unveil likely late this summer.
GF3 could possible scale as high as 1mm/yr volume long term.
Will likely be in India next year.

This meeting was so bullish. Elon dodging the FSD question though, still not sure how he's so confident it will be solved.

Just being able to identify curbs and drivable space is like 10% of FSD.
It is reassuring that they've *finally* figured out that they have to classify not just "driveable space", but "good road space", "bad road space", "emergency off-road space", and "totally unsafe" space.

They're about to start developing self-driving! It would have been quicker if they'd hired me upfront, since I could have told them they'd need to do this upfront, but hey, better late than never.

I am not remotely impressed by them, but I think they're stumbling their way slowly to the right process to eventually develop self-driving. I think they might get it done in a decade or two. Everyone else is on the wrong path with the wrong process, so Tesla's the only one with a chance.

SPECTRE already has the Tesla amphibious killer! And it will include a CHAdeMO adapter for free, does yours Mr. Musk? I think not!
18-putin-submarine.w330.h330.2x.jpg

Last edited:
Elon didn't answer one question about timetable FSD. Be prepared that it will take a while
it was covered in Elon's original comments.

He's still saying feature complete by the end of the year, but you will still have to monitor. Then sometime in 2020 work to remove that monitoring. Then sometime after that work with regulatory agencies so that there doesn't need to be a driver at all in the car.

He even addressed the whole 1 million robotaxi thing that was spun inaccurately by the media. Basically that Tesla will have manufactured one million Tesla vehicles on the road that are hardware capable of being a robotaxi by 2020 if you pay for the FSD upgrade. Not that they will necessarily all be working as a robotaxi in 2020.

What other questions did you need answered?

Last edited:
It is reassuring that they've *finally* figured out that they have to classify not just "driveable space", but "good road space", "bad road space", "emergency off-road space", and "totally unsafe" space.

They're about to start developing self-driving! It would have been quicker if they'd hired me upfront, since I could have told them they'd need to do this upfront, but hey, better late than never.

I am not remotely impressed by them, but I think they're stumbling their way slowly to the right process to eventually develop self-driving. I think they might get it done in a decade or two. Everyone else is on the wrong path with the wrong process, so Tesla's the only one with a chance.
Sure glad to see you are so modest neroden...