Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the topic of the BMW X3, it's selling very well in China since they moved production from the US [remember that Spartanburg factory that made BMW the #1 car exporter - is that still the case?].

Quote/ BMW AG reported a 33% sales jump in China during May after a shift to local production of its X3 sport utility vehicle boosted deliveries, defying a year-long pullback in the world’s largest automotive market. /Unquote, Source
BMW's Production Shift to China Pays Off With Jump in X3 Sales - Caixin Global

I take it this is a year-on-year increase.

Also
13.06.2019 | BMW stemmt sich gegen Branchen-Schwäche | BMW-Absatz legt zu dank China und SUV
Quote/ Im Mai verkaufte der Konzern 181.888 Autos der Stammmarke BMW und damit 4,6 Prozent mehr als im Vorjahresmonat, wie der Dax-Konzern am Donnerstag in München mitteilte. /Unquote, summary: global sales in May up 4.6% YOY at 181'888 vehicles [without Mini]. X3 doing very well in China.
BMW: Absatz im Mai gestiegen - manager magazin

With the Hyundai/Kia crossovers an obvious success, the Model Y [cum tow hook] will certainly find a very receptive global audience.

Last edited:
I've been involved in few acquisitions and the aftermath of them. I got to tell you, no matter the due diligence process, you never quite get what you though you bought, there are always gotchas. So I'd be rather cautious in expecting this technology to end up in production really soon, and Model Y is probably close to the 'pencil off' phase.
Undoubtedly true.

However, it's likely that Tesla was the "unnamed partner" who has been working with them to test/pilot the technology for some time now... so hopefully it's a much more known quantity.

Yes, he has, as we say in Belgium, developed a bit of a fat neck... he's a bit too sure of himself for my liking.

Yes, I remember someone described him as sanctimonious and condescending.

He also constantly blocks people on Twitter using Electrek's account.

There is a saying in China which reads 做了婊子还要立牌坊, meaning that "wanting to get a monument after having become a whore", which I think is perfectly accurate for Freaking Fred.

Yeah, sounds intense but that is exactly what I consider what that guy is like.

Panasonic's bottleneck is availability of labor in Sparks, NV.
Do you have a source for this?

This is the first I've heard that this was not a line/technical issue, and instead a human logistics one.

I'd expect there would be some pretty visible indicators (recruiting/hiring activity, investment in mass transport from nearby areas, local housing construction, etc...)

Could some one with a Twitter acct kindly confirm that Elon 'liked' this tweet:

@HyperChangeTV 14 hours ago

is $TSLA about to start producing its own battery cells with Maxwell's Dry Battery Electrode tech? (i think yes) #ShareholderMeeting

27 replies 38 retweets 216 likes​

TIA
He liked a tweet that retweeted the above tweet by HyperChangeTV.

Vincent on Twitter

Another great video from
@Gfilche
about Tesla Shareholders Meeting 2019!! A must watch and you definitely need to subscribe his
@HyperChangeTV
channel on YouTube!! Really great to hangout with you bro and the rest of the #Tesla shareholders (too many to list, sorry

1f602.png
) $TSLA

Car Stuck in the Shop? The New Waiting Room Has Movies and Manicures

“In a Beepi/Harris Poll from 2016, consumers listed things they’d rather do than negotiate at a dealership: Clean the house (56 percent of respondents ages 18 to 34); wait in line at a state motor vehicle office (34 percent of the same age group) and get a root canal (24 percent of 35- to 44-year-olds). More than half of those surveyed (52 percent) said they felt “anxious or uncomfortable” when visiting a dealer.”

Tesla is the only company that sees the coming future without dealers.
My wife doesn't even want to think about parting with her 10 year old RX350 mostly because she enjoys taking it in for service. They even offer to pick up the car (it's an hour away) but she likes driving down, drinking fancy coffee while she waits and being offered fresh baked goods that she declines. I'm pretty sure she'll get a Model S or maybe a Y when the Lexus dies, but she will miss the Lexus service.

TSLA recovered nicely from 211 to 214 - on good volume. Someone is buying up.

BTW, the max pain is 217.5 … hmmm ...

$207.50 on Opricot...

Sorry for the CNBC link Monster Tesla bull is sticking by stock and sees it doubling in 12 months

One of Wall Street’s most optimistic Tesla analysts is sticking with his call for the stock to double over the next 12 months, telling clients that recent negative sentiment is “decoupled from reality.”

The market fails to understand Tesla’s “technological and cost advantage” and remains on track for solid cash flow in the second quarter, analyst Alexander Haissl of Berenberg wrote. His price target of $500 implies more than 100% upside in the next year.

“We maintain our bullish view on Tesla and see no reason to walk away from our price target of $500,” Haissl wrote in a note sent to clients Thursday. “Demand worries are overblown, as the Q1 volume weakness was largely self-inflicted by logistic problems, uncertainty about store closures and changing pricing structure, and not indicative of the underlying demand situation.”

New Street Research analyst Pierre Ferragu is the only analyst on Wall Street more bullish than Haissl, according to FactSet data. Indeed, Haissl’s target is 110% higher the the median analyst forecast of $238, just above Thursday’s closing price of $213.91.

Tesla’s stock has slid in recent months as the company embarked on a cost-cutting spree, analysts questioned demand for its vehicles and investors wondered about its future in China. Tesla shares have fallen more than 26% over the last three months, but have bounced 15% in June as more optimistic traders snap up the stock at the lower price.

Haissl added that the recent downswing did not derail his positive line of thinking.

“Q1 weakness does not change our positive fundamental view, as it is not indicative of the underlying strength of the business,” he wrote. “The demand debate is likely to remain an ‘on paper’ battlefield between bulls/bears and will only be resolved once hard facts are reported, as management is given little credibility for any reassuring commentary.”

is $TSLA about to start producing its own battery cells with Maxwell's Dry Battery Electrode tech? (i think yes) #ShareholderMeeting

TIA

he liked a tweet by vincent that referenced the hyperchange tweet, saying it’s a good video from the annual meeting

TIA
Liking that tweet doesn't necessarily exclude Panasonic from the equation. It could just mean they are modifying that portion of production from what others in this thread have mentioned.

I'm actually biased the other way though. If there is a financial way for Tesla to start their own production independent of Panasonic, I would happy with that. Scaling battery production is that important and they need to figure out the bottlenecks quickly.

Maybe they could start by making a Maxwell based battery for the S/X since it's much lower volume than the Model 3 battery via Panasonic.

Look at these Job Titles posted on Telsa's Jobs Search page since Jan 22, 2019:

Job Postings 'cell'.png

Palo Alto:
  • Cell Engineer
  • Equipment Engineer, Cell Engineering
  • Staff Cell Modeling Engineer
  • Global Supply Manager- Cell Materials
  • Global Supply Manager, Battery Cell
  • Senior Cell Test Engineer
  • Global Supply Manager, Battery Cell
  • Cell Engineering - Process Technician
  • Cell Engineering - Test Technician
Fremont:
  • Process Engineer - Battery Cell
  • Equipment Engineer - Battery Cell
  • Thermal Engineer - Battery Cell

Yeah, I'd say Tesla's getting into the battery cell business.

Cheers!

Hyperchange is super focused on Maxwell, has been for quite a while. I definitely agree that there is more to this than we probably suspect.

Maxwell's technology to generate/store power using capacitors installed in a car's suspension is very interesting. That could provide power to offset active suspension or add another X% of power generation for other vehicles. We don't think about it but there is quite a bit of kinetic energy lost in regular suspension set ups. (I'm sure I could quantify it but college physics was longer ago that I'd like to admit)
Do you have a source for this?That

This is the first I've heard that this was not a line/technical issue, and instead a human logistics one.

I'd expect there would be some pretty visible indicators (recruiting/hiring activity, investment in mass transport from nearby areas, local housing construction, etc...)
US labor market is very tight right now. On the plus side all this trade war crap risks a recession so that would resolve that problem. ;)

My wife doesn't even want to think about parting with her 10 year old RX350 mostly because she enjoys taking it in for service. They even offer to pick up the car (it's an hour away) but she likes driving down, drinking fancy coffee while she waits and being offered fresh baked goods that she declines. I'm pretty sure she'll get a Model S or maybe a Y when the Lexus dies, but she will miss the Lexus service.
I honestly can't process this. Can you tell her that with a Tesla she could instead just go to a nice coffee shop and be served better stuff while saving a ton of money? I know we all have our weird quirks and things that we enjoy but still! :)