Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Norway just passed 3k registrations for the quarter. Still trails Q4 2017 by ~740 and Q1 2019 by ~4k. But daily registrations have been ramping--nearly 200 yesterday and over 150 so far today. So it's unlikely to pass Q1 (would need > 300/day for each registration day through the end of the month), but should be well past any other Q.

Agree. For completeness : the Netherlands is currently running about 800 ahead from Q1 and Spain is 140 behind. I am expecting a surge from 20/6 onwards because that the start of short range deliveries.

I think you need to point out to her that the show is all part of the scam.

They absolutely need to get you to come many times a year, so they can figure out how to get a certain dollar amount of you, for things that just don't need to be done.

Once she gets the S, she will be snapped out of the "dealer delusion".

At some point, cars are going to go direct and all these dealers are going to collapse, just like Sears got crushed by Amazon.

And service will become like local electricians or plumbers, or just part of a HVAC service plan.

Tesla is pointing the way on this with their mobile service units. You can see how soon they will go independent, maybe licensed.

And gone will be the middleman dealer skimming money off of every deal, and inflating the cost of every service need.
Trust me I've told her. Doesn't matter. If Tesla would open a service center within an hour away (For me that would be Allentown to Scranton, PA) and and have cheerful caring people working the service desk and a waiting area with at least a keurig, I could get her to buy an S now. If they make the refresh interior the same as the 3 that will become harder by 10 fold. She knows what she wants and no one is going to talk her into anything she doesn't, especially for $90-100k. But currently having to drive an hour and a half and difficulty getting to speak to a live person on the phone is a deal killer. I've actually suggested a location here near where I live with a recently closed Ford dealership on it which would be central to a large untapped market.

Sounds a lot like Mercedes dealerships where they take 2x as long to do things, and overcharge and overdo things. And they have a nice waiting room with "free" drinks and snacks, which is right next to all the new cars which start looking pretty good when you've been waiting for 3 hours on you oil change.

It's a fair argument, there is a significant distinction imo. But I wouldn't worry because at some point the model 3 will probably outsell Camry's by numbers and revenue anyway, they would have at to be around 9000 per week to match Camry's in May. Will be interesting to see how much Camry sales go the way of BMW 3 series over the next year or two.
Then a sleazy sales guy comes over and does the equivalent of hitting on you at last call.
Trust me I've told her. Doesn't matter. If Tesla would open a service center within an hour away (For me that would be Allentown to Scranton, PA) and and have cheerful caring people working the service desk and a waiting area with at least a keurig, I could get her to buy an S now. If they make the refresh interior the same as the 3 that will become harder by 10 fold. She knows what she wants and no one is going to talk her into anything she doesn't, especially for $90-100k. But currently having to drive an hour and a half and difficulty getting to speak to a live person on the phone is a deal killer. I've actually suggested a location here near where I live with a recently closed Ford dealership on it which would be central to a large untapped market.
My SC has a Keurig and waters/sodas .
But IMO, the important bit is that you don't need to go there. I don't care if the SC is a wasteland because oil changes aren't a thing.

It's a fair argument, there is a significant distinction imo. But I wouldn't worry because at some point the model 3 will probably outsell Camry's by numbers and revenue anyway, they would have at to be around 9000 per week to match Camry's in May. Will be interesting to see how much Camry sales go the way of BMW 3 series over the next year or two.

Is it? Tesla also has the highest margins in the business, even if you walk the regulatory credit sales for some reason. So they're also making more money on the Model 3 than any other sedan in the country.

I always find it interesting how journalists will, in the same breath, take an extremely nuanced view of every positive claim about Tesla while simultaneously completely glossing over any nuance in the negatives. They pointed out that Tesla as a whole company lost money in Q1, without bothering to note why, instead just assuming that they're losing money from selling the Model 3.

Never forget
BC96F175-9FB2-4B5D-9B67-770556086046.png

There was a bear attack between 12:30 and 12:55. 100k shares dumped @ 12:52, which helped them push below 211. But SP quickly back up now above 212.

ps : SP has been beaten down so badly this year, I've no faith in any kind of rallies anymore :(

By all account with short interest so high, SP should be going up - but we continue to see short attacks almost daily. Have to wonder how long they will continue to increase short % - if 6M shares can still be shorted (they shorted 2M more last week), they can continue at that rate till end of this month.

Last edited:
But currently having to drive an hour and a half and difficulty getting to speak to a live person on the phone is a deal killer.

Well, right now as Tesla is, it might be a blessing in disguise that it is difficult to get to speak with a live person when requesting non-emergency help. They are absolutely useless and clueless from my experience.

Is it? Tesla also has the highest margins in the business, even if you walk the regulatory credit sales for some reason. So they're also making more money on the Model 3 than any other sedan in the country.

I always find it interesting how journalists will, in the same breath, take an extremely nuanced view of every positive claim about Tesla while simultaneously completely glossing over any nuance in the negatives. They pointed out that Tesla as a whole company lost money in Q1, without bothering to note why, instead just assuming that they're losing money from selling the Model 3.
Those are good points, I just meant that they kind of made it sound like they were outselling the Camry on volume. To outsell it based on revenue is not bad, but to outsell it on volume would be a major milestone.

Reactions: wipster
Well, right now as Tesla is, it might be a blessing in disguise that it is difficult to get to speak with a live person when requesting non-emergency help. They are absolutely useless and clueless from my experience.

Not wrong. Hopefully those layoffs in service will fix some of that. As an(other) anecdote: This last week we had a heat wave here, temps up over 100F. My wife was sitting in the car when parked and noticed the AC was blowing warm air, despite being set to 66F. Eventually had to leave the car. I called in about it, the woman on the phone said she checked the logs, didn't see any errors and asked if I had any other questions. GEE, THANKS.

I honestly can't process this. Can you tell her that with a Tesla she could instead just go to a nice coffee shop and be served better stuff while saving a ton of money? I know we all have our weird quirks and things that we enjoy but still! :)
A Model S is an 80-100,000+ car. Saving money is not the issue. It is being treated like someone matters. When I got my SIgnature X 3+ years ago I was always treated extremely well by Service. Now it's just another car to the people they have working there. I have no bad experiences, just not great ones any more. When Tesla actually figures this out and makes treating people always like they matter like Lexus does then they will truly not be able to keep up with sales. They have the product, they just need to treat people like they care.

A Model S is an 80-100,000+ car. Saving money is not the issue. It is being treated like someone matters. When I got my SIgnature X 3+ years ago I was always treated extremely well by Service. Now it's just another car to the people they have working there. I have no bad experiences, just not great ones any more. When Tesla actually figures this out and makes treating people always like they matter like Lexus does then they will truly not be able to keep up with sales. They have the product, they just need to treat people like they care.
I have always been treated great in my admittedly few interactions with customer service.

There was a bear attack between 12:30 and 12:55. 100k shares dumped @ 12:52, which helped them push below 211. But SP quickly back up now above 212.
It’s at an interesting point currently, there is a lot of belief that the stock is being undervalued currently. Tesla is showing stability and the revolutionary vision. A month ago there was a belief that they needed a Hail Mary (FSD) to reach their value. But now analyst and investors are seeing Tesla moving the ball forward with nearly precise execution. The rate of growth is putting people on notice.

The best part is looking at CNBC posting articles about how Ford is a sleeping stock ready to breakthrough meanwhile they have over a million vehicles facing a recall this week. If Tesla was in the same place they would bring the company down.

Q2 has shown how necessary Musk is at the helm. Tesla can’t do anything about tariffs but they are handling their business in house right now and if 2019 continues in this direction then there is plenty of reason to believe the stock is undervalued

ps : SP has been beaten down so badly this year, I've no faith in any kind of rallies anymore :(

By all account with short interest so high, SP should be going up - but we continue to see short attacks almost daily. Have to wonder how long they will continue to increase short % - if 6M shares can still be shorted (they shorted 2M more last week), they can continue at that rate till end of this month.

A lot of shorts who covered before the shareholder's meeting shorted again the next day. I think the SP will trade sideways until the next #s release.

I don't believe there is any catalyst for strong up or down movement in the next two weeks except macro.

2019 has become an accumulation year. Hopefully you had or have the funds to be adding ;)

I'm actually ok with the stock price staying depressed until Q4. It will allow me to increase my position by about 25-30%(depending on how low I can buy at when I have the funds available to me).

I have always been treated great in my admittedly few interactions with customer service.
I'm sure you were at your Service Center, but that varies considerably among service centers. If I lived in California it wouldn't be an issue as I see people commenting on how some there are way better than others, but I live in Pennsylvania where there are only 4 service centers for our entire huge state and 2 are located close to one another outside of Philly and 2 are located outside of Pittsburgh with 80% of the state nowhere near any of them let alone having a choice of which to pick. I go to New Jersey on the rare instance now that I need service and that is over an hour away. The service is fine but it isn't great. That's my point. There is no consistency.

No, the higher the short interest the lower the stock price will be. (Because they are creating "extra" shares therefore lowering demand on the existing ones.) When they start covering is when we will see the stock price start to go up.

Technically there is no limit to the number of shares that they can short, but practically there is some limit.

Q2 has shown how necessary Musk is at the helm. Tesla can’t do anything about tariffs but they are handling their business in house right now and if 2019 continues in this direction then there is plenty of reason to believe the stock is undervalued
I think the real question is, what would be the SP, if we didn't have 46M shares shorted.

Anyway, interesting note these levels :

$350+ : Q3 big beat and "profit all quarters going forward"
$300 : Q1 will be profitable if we work really hard
$260 : After bad Q1 deliveries report
$230 : After bad Q1 ER
$180 : After badly worded "money will last 10 months" email
$210 : We have a shot at Q2 being a record month

If we have 90k+ deliveries and a decent quarter (< $100M non-gaap loss), looking at the above we should be back at $300. The wild card is the level of shorting. If they start covering SP can shoot up - but at anytime they can start shorting again !

I don't like to tell Tesla what to do but...

I would only import enough ECUs from China to support the US market. I am sure ECU is not the right name for the brain.

For the rest of the world I would install outside the US and sidestep the tariffs.

Makes it hard to drive/test the car without the computers... I wouldn't think it was worth the extra effort.