Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that is what you consider free of charge, there are numerous other natural sources of energy such as wind, geo-thermal, tidal flows, the run of rivers, gravity, radioactive isotopes and even hydrocarbons. All those sources lay fallow until someone spends money to harness natural energy into a useful form, capable of performing work and improving the quality of human life.

Disagreements and controversies revolve around how much is the relative "charge" for using energy from any given natural source and how such "charges" should be allocated among society.
All true, but direct solar energy (via solar panels of some kind) will prove to be the most cheapest and safest form of energy -- it's getting better every year. Almost all other forms of energy (fossil fuels, wind, tides, etc.) are derived from solar/sun, and therefore are secondary, less efficient sources than direct sunlight. Exceptions include deep earth thermal energy (derived from earth's hot core) (probably will never be as efficient as solar), and nuclear energy (has much higher safety risks than solar).

For this reason, the energy future will be dominated by solar tech. Solar panels today. Integrated solar film/tech in the future, like Tesla Solar Roof Tiles. Solar tech will eventually be integrated into a variety of building materials and will become seamless with architectural structures. I believe Tesla will lead this effort, with their solar roof tiles being the start of a new generation of solar products.

Last edited:
Utilities were given a job a d guaranteed profit. They pushed it waaaaay too far and will all now go bankrupt. Who cares? They did it to themselves.

We'll get someone else to run line and balance load.

Ok, then disconnect. You may not understand the economics and necessity of regulated monopolies. Ever hear of the regulatory compact?
What entity do you suppose will maintain the integrity and reliability of the electrical system that feeds your residence?

Tesla has endeavored to work within the existing regulated structure--most of the stationary storage it has sold has been to entities who understand and work within that structure.

Casey got on job of fighting NYT FUD - he would know - he just did a NY-LA Trip in a Model X and documented it on twitter

Casey Neistat on Twitter

For which his route planning took all of 5 seconds plus loading time. Punched in his Santa Monica address & left TriBeCa, Supercharger route was completed before he reached the West Side highway.

This was 1 of the Tesla stores out in Vancouver that I visited recently, this was only half of the area the other half was full of customers waiting to pickup their new model 3s. The other stores were just as packed and busy, no difference so only showing 1 picture here. Talked to a few employees who were all swamped with customers, they all say the same, demand is insane and they've been selling 150+ M3s daily. I've been a car driver and enthusiast for about 20 years. Been to many dealerships throughout my time. Never have I seen so much genuine interest, awe and people within a car dealership. This reminds me of the Apple store back in the day when there was actually exciting new innovation to check out. Feel free to share this on Twitter.

20190622_161608.jpg

Full disclosure, I'm an investor in Tesla stock. I cannot reveal too much in detail, you can probably guess and know by now, but my understanding is that there is definitely a huge 'battle' brewing in this stock on the short side vs the long side. Whether you're retail or an institutional investor, you will have to have serious conviction to stay in this stock. If you don't, best to not invest in this stock at all, for the sake of Tesla. The hidden powers backing and behind the short side are highly influential and relentless, and have a lot riding on the failure of Tesla and the stock beyond the stock itself. I'm not sure Elon Musk even realizes the extent of this financial battle behind this stock. At some point and we may be on the verge of something for the next few quarters, I believe it's quite possible something 'extreme' will happen, in which either the shorts get absolutely crushed or there will be a lot more devastated and underwater longs (if not already). This setup reminds me of Volkswagen a bit back in 2008. The keys for Tesla for the next few quarters, its supporters and Elon to succeed on Wall St is not difficult to realize: 1) Financials - improve costs and margins, profitability and cash flows 2) Elon needs to control himself and act like a top CEO of the most innovative and leading tech company in the world 3) Get more deep pocket institutional and hedge fund support backing Elon and the stock 4) Continue to spread the truth about Tesla and its products, whether it's through word of mouth, social media, education, letting your friend or neighbor try out M3.. whatever the medium is there must be aggressive defense and combat against all the misinformation that is being constantly tossed out there.

Full disclosure, I'm an investor in Tesla stock. I cannot reveal too much in detail, you can probably guess and know by now, but my understanding is that there is definitely a huge 'battle' brewing in this stock on the short side vs the long side. Whether you're retail or an institutional investor, you will have to have serious conviction to stay in this stock. If you don't, best to not invest in this stock at all, for the sake of Tesla. The hidden powers backing and behind the short side are highly influential and relentless, and have a lot riding on the failure of Tesla and the stock beyond the stock itself. I'm not sure Elon Musk even realizes the extent of this financial battle behind this stock. At some point and we may be on the verge of something for the next few quarters, I believe it's quite possible something 'extreme' will happen, in which either the shorts get absolutely crushed or there will be a lot more devastated and underwater longs (if not already). This setup reminds me of Volkswagen a bit back in 2008. The keys for Tesla for the next few quarters, its supporters and Elon to succeed on Wall St is not difficult to realize: 1) Financials - improve costs and margins, profitability and cash flows 2) Elon needs to control himself and act like a top CEO of the most innovative and leading tech company in the world 3) Get more deep pocket institutional and hedge fund support backing Elon and the stock 4) Continue to spread the truth about Tesla and its products, whether it's through word of mouth, social media, education, letting your friend or neighbor try out M3.. whatever the medium is there must be aggressive defense and combat against all the misinformation that is being constantly tossed out there.

Man you make it sound like this is a battle for middle earth or something.

As long as Tesla's cash balance is healthy, this stock and the company will be fine. Elon will never control himself and act like a top CEO. He will always have wild guidance because he lives in the future. So if you want to deal with this stock, you have to deal with this reality.

@sixela @RobStark While all that is true, let's not forget the Zoe can be configured from 17k Euros via the battery rental option and the French EV bonus, or 26k batteries included, while the Model 3 SR+ starts at 42k Euro.

Obviously the two cars are worlds apart in space, performance, range, etc. Comparing unit sales between the two cars makes no sense at all.

The two cars have one important thing in common. They are both EVs. Many people just want an EV and don’t care about “space, performance. Range, etc” - the core purchase decision is an EV for environmental and/or cost benefits, which the Zoe definitely fits. I think many on this board underestimate how popular a short range tesla would be in many places (I like to hope we see a Model 3 CR “City Range” within a couple of years costing under $30k for ~150 mile range, followed eventually by a small hatchback Tesla under $25k)

Thanks for the tldr.:p . I watched only a few minutes (@1.5 speed) to get the gist.

However, if you got triggered enough to watch the whole thing, he must have got something right.
Watch it at 1.75 or 2x speed. He got so much right that I watched some of it twice. After his shirt color changes, he talks about power companies turning productive net metered customers's solar systems into worthless peaker plants and why NEVER to get a net meter installed.

The two cars have one important thing in common. They are both EVs. Many people just want an EV and don’t care about “space, performance. Range, etc” - the core purchase decision is an EV for environmental and/or cost benefits, which the Zoe definitely fits. I think many on this board underestimate how popular a short range tesla would be in many places (I like to hope we see a Model 3 CR “City Range” within a couple of years costing under $30k for ~150 mile range, followed eventually by a small hatchback Tesla under $25k)
I'd think a small pickup version of any model might be popular. The VW van, if exactly like the concept, would be far more useful to me than my model X. Wish Tesla made one like that.

1.) He said it multiple times--use the grid to provide stand-by power when self generation is insufficient and to shed excess generation when self generation exceeds the house's instantaneous load--that's effectively the service of a battery connected as distributed stationary storage.
2.) Can you name a single jurisdiction that requires by law a grid connection? He said 37 states require electricity (not grid connections) for habitable structures. Self generation satisfies those legal requirements.
I particularly liked his down to earth acknowledgement that rooftop owners should be responsible for shifting their production to off-peak via distributed storage.

EDIT- Also, I'd LOVE to be able to apply a little of my car's charge to flatten the duck curve just a little. A little V2G, please, uncle Elon?

Last edited:
Man you make it sound like this is a battle for middle earth or something.

As long as Tesla's cash balance is healthy, this stock and the company will be fine. Elon will never control himself and act like a top CEO. He will always have wild guidance because he lives in the future. So if you want to deal with this stock, you have to deal with this reality.
Just because some of us are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.

I like this guy's approach to trips: stopping at more superchargers for quick 10-15 minute burst charges within the peak charge-speeds up to 50% battery.
Pretty much my approach as well. Stop at each supercharger and stop charging when the route planner shows a (very) conservative 30% projected charge rate left at the next supercharger. If I were less conservative, I’d leave when my projected percentage would be 15-20%.