Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not unbelievable at all, it's about $150-250K depending. I could depreciate the installation and the truckers would be glad to pay my cost or even a bit more for electricity for charging while they load/unload.

I was with you up to the last part. The large majority of truckers that are driving Class 8 trucks are not waiting for trucks to load/unload:
  • There's about 3 times more trailers than tractors, and a trailer is about a third of a cost of a tractor.
  • Typical truck shipping workflow at large (short haul) shipping companies: truckers arrive with a load at the trucking yard, drop it off, hook the next trailer and pull it to the next destination.
  • Truck drivers are paid by mile and they want to stand around waiting as little as possible. Truck drivers are federally mandated to work at most 11 hours in a 24 hour time period, with at least 30 minute breaks every 8 hours - which is usually taken as 2x 15 minutes. Any restriction beyond that, be it trailer loading/unloading or recharging, reduces the income of the trucker.
  • The trailers at the trucking yard, port or railway head are loaded, unloaded and moved around by local employees independently and asynchrously of truck drivers.
  • Forget "Ice Road Truckers" driving EV trucks anytime soon: that's long haul and team driving - EV trucks probably won't be competitive in that space for years due to lack of range. Nor do they have to be competitive there: 70% of the U.S. trucking market is "short haul" with 200-300 miles hops and many of the trucks are idle at night, when the trucks can recharge.
  • Shipping companies only care about long term profits, the one time cost of installing a 1 MW, 5 MW or 20 MW power grid connection are a very small factor if EV trucks are significantly more profitable than diesel trucks - which they are.
  • Trucking companies primarily care about the following costs:
    • Purchase cost of the truck, per mile of expected lifetime.
    • Fuel cost of the truck, per mile and per tons of load.
    • Labor cost of the truck, per mile.
    • Maintenance cost of the truck, per mile.
    • Average safe speed a truck can achieve with a full load on a given route. If an EV truck can pull at 40-50 mph up to a mountain pass and can then go down 40-50 mph on full regen braking that's a big competitive advantage to diesel trucks that can only go up 10-20 mph burning a lot of fuel.
  • If a truck has to be recharged for 1 hour every 10 hours, then that's simply a 10% correction to the numbers above. Even with that correction EV trucks are significantly more profitable than diesel trucks, even without FSD. There's shipments (such as full weight loads over mountainous terrain mentioned above) where EV trucks are vastly more profitable.
That's all that matters to shipping companies, and this is why EV trucks are taken far more seriously by Daimler AG, Volvo and Scania than passenger EVs by the rest of the automotive industry.

Buying a passenger car is a big emotional and life style decision, but buying a truck is mostly a bottom line calculation - which is why I think FUD has far less effect on the calculations of shipping companies, which is why I expect much faster electrification in the trucking industry.

Last edited:
Im curious how that overlaps with states banning Tesla sales to various degrees...

full

So if we closed at around 223.5 and the maxpain was 220 does that mean a lot of shorts were burned today? What are these large spikes in the after hours?

View attachment 424469
Call options exercised? This is an option to get a meaningful number of shares w/o SP during transaction.
Breakout from symmetric triangle next week unavoidable, see TA thread.

So Friday was the last trading day of the quarter, and the final 1-2 weeks were I think dominated by funds trying to meet the portfolio risk and balancing thresholds in their prospectus: TSLA shorts might have closed/reduced their positions over the quarter end and might re-open short positions next week.

I'm curious how large this effect is going to be - if it's going to be visible at all. There's going to be 3 trading days until July 4th.

Last year Tesla filed the Q2 Production and Deliveries report on the 2nd of July, a Monday:

2018/Q2: Filing Date: 2018-07-02 (Mon), Accepted: 2018-07-02 09:04:06 (Mon)​

This year July 1 is a Monday, so we might see the report on Tuesday or Wednesday (2nd or 3rd of July).

I believe the rest of the U.S. automotive industry is reporting deliveries on the 3rd of July, Wednesday - so that would be the probable release date for Tesla as well. Note that Tesla's Q1'19 report was an outlier with the April 4 release - I suspect they were waiting for more deliveries to be confirmed.

Most of the production and deliveries reports were released during early trading hours, between 9am-10am ET, but this pattern is not guaranteed and it was broken in Q1'19.

Are you saying that Apple has not announced its intention to become a competitor to Tesla? Or that they don't have a chance of releasing a competitive EV or viable autonomous car due to their lack of real innovation?
I'd suggest it's more "If they make their own cars, they will tick off there automotive OE customers".

Reactions: Off Shore
Don’t have time to react to all the points you’re bringing up, several of which are valid. But I think your point about Tesla working off the backlog is moot. During the last investor call we heard that 90% of new orders came from non-reservation holders. The TESLAQ crowd also keeps telling us every quarter that this is the quarter Tesla will finally run out of reservation holders and sales will crash. But we can put that argument to bed. It was one of the most important statements during the call and most journalists and analysts completely missed it.

But are all 400k Reservations delivered? Correct me but up to Q1 there were 218k Model 3 produced. And now there will 9k per quarter for reservations delivered.

Therefore I would guess that in total 250k reservations will be delivered...and the rest was probably canceled...

Last edited:
But are all 400k Reservations delivered? Correct me but up to Q1 there were 218k Model 3 produced. And now there will 9k per quarter for reservations delivered.

Therefore I would guess that in total 250k reservations will be delivered...and the rest was probably canceled...
No, there are many reservations that haven't been cancelled or delivered. Except for a handful of cars in the UK, no M3s have been delivered to Right-Hand-Drive countries. (I have a reservation in Australia.) SR/SR+ cars have only just started being delivered in Europe, anyone waiting for the low price M3 there are probably still waiting. And I believe none of those in China yet. Elon said (from my flaky memory) that 90% of deliveries were from new orders, but that doesn't mean that the other 10% were the last reservations.

@ZachShahan just published this article on CleanTechnica:

A lot of topics covered, and I wholeheartedly agree with his overall assessment: 90% of the Tesla FUD is a diverse mix of plain old affinity fraud propagated by two disrupted industries (automotive and old energy), overworked journalists with way too many topics to cover and way too short of an attention span, tribal affiliations, PR mistakes by Elon and Tesla, helpfully egged on by the financial sector through the most shorted major stock on global financial markets, combined with the physically most complex business plan Elon Musk could think of which is absolutely not conductive to make things easier to understand and explain. :D

So yes, I absolutely concur with @ZachShahan and @tinm that there's no "conspiracy" and except a few well known FUDster the mainstream media is at worst confused about and harboring tribal prejudice against Tesla. There's many, mostly disorganized entities acting against Tesla out of confusion, due to being disrupted, and, in some cases out of financially motivated malice and fraudulent intent as well (short sellers).

As to solutions? @ZachSachan mentioned that he considers #PravDuh a mistake timed poorly in light of the existential threat Trump and Republican messaging is posing to independent journalism, and I think there might actually be two channels of honey to improve Tesla's media coverage:
  • Tesla is one of the most exciting companies on earth, and in the journalistic world where the scoop is currency, Tesla is a central bank: factory visits, face time with executives, unveils, comments on current evens, etc. Tesla and Elon has tried this and got burned a couple of times, but it's not organized, strategic and frequent enough I think.
  • I suggested before a more direct method to save journalism: Elon could start a foundation that promotes independent journalism. If the Kochs, Merceds and Bezos are buying media influence unashamed, why couldn't Elon do something to improve investigative and objective journalism? Money does help.
This situation is not going to self-correct easily, but once it does, it will be a massive event affecting stock valuation as well.
You say pəˈtādō and I say pəˈtädō. If it's not a conspiracy then I deem it a non-coordinated friends with benefits situation.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, at another German-government sponsored roundtable with the industry leading to the ever same negligible results, BMW's Chief of Engineering and member of the board Klaus Fröhlich said the trend towards electrification is being exaggerated and interest not "big enough" for the company to introduce even more EVs.

Quote:/ „Es gibt keine Anfragen von Kunden für Batterie-Elektroautos. Keine“, wird Fröhlich von mehreren bei der Bekanntgabe der beschleunigten E-Mobilitäts-Ziele anwesenden Journalisten zitiert. „Von Gesetzgebern werden Batterie-Elektroautos gefordert, aber nicht von Kunden.“ Hätte BMW „ein großes Angebot, einen großen Anreiz“, dann würde der Hersteller Europa mit einer Million batteriebetriebenen Elektroautos „fluten“, die Europäer würden diese Art von Fahrzeugen jedoch nicht kaufen. /Unquote, Source: BMW-Chefentwickler: Europäer wollen keine Elektroautos - ecomento.de

He also thinks hybrids aren't just a transitional technology. It's definitely reflected in BMW's current lineup. According to the following article [15.04.2019], he vehemently criticized VW for the direction it's taking.
BMW-Entwicklungschef Fröhlich: Hybrid ist keine Übergangstechnologie

Reminds me of Bill Gates in 1994:
"I see little commercial potential for the internet for the next 10 years ...”

The dumbest things Bill Gates ever said

Let’s go, Tesla. Let’s see how effective EM’s email is to push sales and delivery these last 2 days.

In Northern California, there are 84 new inventory cars available: 16 S, 18 X, and 50 m3.

In Southern California, there are 243 new inventory cars available: 82 S, 74 X, and 87 m3.

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627