Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jerry. I am waiting on a Pickup for exactly this reason but I am expecting to maximize the charging at RV camps since it is usually included in the per diem and using the 110/220 from the pickup for the RV when off grid since EM said this would be available for contractors. And could a powerwall be used in the RV?
I use RV camps for my MS for some overnight stays as well. I'd guess the main issue with a Powerwall in an RV would be heat when the RV is not in use (and perhaps cold in the winter). Don't know if it's still true, but there used to be a relatively low max temperature (40C or something).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The S/X interior is very dated compared to the 3.

I’m surprised there is no refresh. Also saves a lot of software dev time once the main screen is in the same orientation across all the cars
I don't believe S and X purchasers will stand for a dinky 15" screen. It would sure put me off.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the “relatively rural lifestyle and level of income” but we are highly urbanized, have the highest car ownership per capita on the planet (that isn’t Iceland or a tiny city state), expensive gasoline, and are a relatively rich country (similar per capita gdp as South Korea, UK etc).

Reason for low new car sales is the flood of near new used cars we get from Japan - no tariffs, ridiculously cheap. EV sales are lagging a lot due to basically zero incentives currently (and no model 3 available yet). The new government proposal announced today introduces an $8000 price cut, which will undoubtedly boost sales tremendously once in place. Given the long commutes many people have (highly suburban combined with crap public transport), a $50-$60k Model 3 will be a highly desirable money saving asset for many people.

New Zealand and Norway are similar in terms of size and population, would be an awesome feat if we get even a quarter way to their level of Tesla sales eventually.
The incentive is great but I'd be surprised if the number of Tesla's sold is more than 2-3k per year. They'll still be relatively expensive. All extra volume is great but we are talking a couple of days worth of tesla production each year. The rural is in reference to the large number of utes purchased compared to Europe-that was just my shorthand.

Years ago when I was working at an Australian bank i looked into starting a vehicle finance subsidiary in NZ but found the volumes too low to support the setup cost. And that was only comparing to Australia's 1m new cars per year (also a minnow on the world stage).

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and humbaba
I can tell from this statement that you live somewhere where commuting by car is the norm. This is not true in very many places. In fact I’d say almost every major developed world metropolitan centre outside North America.
Agreed. Most places in North America have wrecked any transit system (there are exceptions). However, North America is a big part of the success of Tesla, so what happens there is very relevant.

Oil companies have been receiving tens of billions of “handouts” for a very long time now, this is peanuts compared to what EV owners are receiving. Plus there’s nothing wrong with my tax dollars going back to me, although I don’t want it going to oil, it still does..
Oil receives far more handouts than EV owners. I think there's a typo here.

I highly doubt the average American driving 12k miles or even the average European driving 8k miles per year will find it 10x cheaper to use Tesla TaaS than buying a 5 year old LEAF or similar. Even a 5 year old Polo in Europe or Civic in the USA if a quick collapse in demand for ICEv nosedives the prices of used ICEv.
For those few who can live with the range of a five year old Leaf.

I highly doubt the average American driving 12k miles or even the average European driving 8k miles per year will find it 10x cheaper to use Tesla TaaS than buying a 5 year old LEAF or similar. Even a 5 year old Polo in Europe or Civic in the USA if a quick collapse in demand for ICEv nosedives the prices of used ICEv.

Ummmm.....there are 150 million average American families. How many 5 year old 2nd hand Leafs will there be out there? 1-2 million perhaps, Tesla and other TaaS will service the other 148 million, well 95% of them anyway :)

A lot of people living paycheck to paycheck won't necessarily choose to participate in the ride share program, even if it's the economical choice. I have been in the Navy for 10 years, and constantly I see little baby E-2/E-3's, who make practically nothing, go off and buy the newest Dodge Challenger/Ford Mustang, even though it's definitively not in their price range, or economically sensible for them to do so. Do these Sailors live pay check to paycheck? Absolutely. Do they make the sensible choice* because it's what their budget should entail? H double L to the no.

I recommend you read the RethinkX 2017 report. Its a wee bit out of date (LIDAR, Tesla etc) but their think tank has done a very deep dive into how and why this disruption will take place, and the wider impacts.

I'm sorry, but what? How can that in any way segregate persons reasonably? If I file myself as a "High Baller" in the app settings, is there a way to check this? Do they get access to my tax filings? Or does it segregate you based on the Tesla choice you make (S, X, or 3)? Because if the former, OMG, no. But if the latter; that doesn't truly separate the "class" of clients, just what they need/will pay for. You can have "I don't shower because why should I?" person choose to ride in the Model S exclusively, even if it's more economical to ride in the 3 for that person, because they "Like the look more" or whatever arbitrary reason.

I was being a bit facetious. Platforms can group their customers, for example a car pooling app in my city lets IT types choose to ride with other IT types etc

FYI ~ just swapped out our 2017 1Q17 X for a 2Q19 X for new tires and so I could refer to my X ~ humor.

FYI ~ all black interior. The interior has a couple of subdued changes which both my wife and I prefer. First the dash used to have a contrasting silver, wood and suede (sp) look. Now the silver look is mat black, still the same beautiful wood, and all smooth black leather. The falcon wing control in the back seat area is now a touch pad as opposed to a toggle switch.

The grandkids (GrandPups) were the first to discover we had swapped out the car ~ the toggle switch gave it away. Our daughter gave us a rash of crap for not telling her first. The GrandPups ratted is out.

Battery is the new design, but then that is not considered the interior. Tesla will be hard pressed to significantly improve the car. Just because I am a retired soldier, does not mean I do not have an eye for design:)

OMG! Thank you, Jesus...err, Elon. It’s been a ridiculously long two years reading about these bloody interior refresh rumors, speculation, made up mumbo-jumbo.

You would think that Elon saying there won't be a refresh would stop the rumors and speculation that there will be a refresh, but given past history I am not optimistic.

If anyone wants a refresh Tesla, get the pickup truck. I hear it’ll be a completely different animal than the SX or 3.

Still think its coming this fall, EM is not going to admit to anything that will slow sales. If EM does not want to say a new interior is a refresh then so be it.

In this car market today where luxury trucks are taking sales from BMW 7, Audi A8 and MB S class type cars, the Tesla Truck may make the Model S redundant.

Personally, I was never on the Model S/X refresh coming soon bandwagon anyways. The Raven upgrades are nice enough.
Plus the fact that even though the design is 7 "years" old the first few years were low volume so actual total number of vehicles on the road are still relatively low. Plus there was the front end change, and of course all the other tweaks and improvements.

Is that a thing?!?!? Ewwwww...
Air BNB, that one website where people just swap homes etc.

Deadheading alone will increase miles driven 50-100%.
It's possible. Really depends on the patterns of people and how smart the system is. Say I take a taxi to work in the AM, does that taxi stay busy downtown moving people around, or does it go back to the suburbs only to have to come back and get me to go home?

That used to mean something very different. :)

I know what you mean though. I think a lot of young people think of stuff as a burden. A simpler streamlined life, more forager then farmer. The idea of car sharing, or making some money off of their car, versus just paying out will be appealing. I’m a young boomer (old), but work from home. I’d rent my car out to reduce the cost of ownership. I need it one or two days a week. Providing a rush hour only cab service when rates are highest would mean I wouldn’t miss the car at all and even making 20 to 30 dollars a day means free car.
I certainly understand the impulse. My P3D is "my car" and I don't want strangers messing it up. But...if I could Robotaxi it and make it so that I have a free Performance Model 3, heck yeah I'd do that. It goes from "This car costs me $1500 a month" to "Hey, you can use his car for free". I think people will embrace the latter once they really process it.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
Plus the fact that even though the design is 7 "years" old the first few years were low volume so actual total number of vehicles on the road are still relatively low. Plus there was the front end change, and of course all the other tweaks and improvements.
Since when is there a law about number of years before a style refresh? Tesla does not follow auto company rules. If they did they would advertise and not innovate. They are constantly updating the tech and not just at new year models. The car is still the most stylistic of any sedan out there. New tech for other auto companies is more buttons and complicated buttons and controls. Nobody simplifies it like tesla and the style still not duplicated by others. Would like modelS vents to be changed to the model3 style and functionality though

Frustrated Musk Shakes Up Autopilot Team

Several key Tesla engineering managers working on its Autopilot semi-automated driving feature left the company after CEO Elon Musk told some employees he was unhappy with the progress in developing fully automated driving capabilities, according to one current and one former Tesla employee who have been involved in the effort. He is also upset that some team members have told him they can’t meet the timelines he has set for developing the technology, they said.

At least 11 members of the software team, or close to 10% of the total group, including some longtime members, departed in the past few months, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.