Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is, once you have FSD/Tesla network one of two things happen:

1. Tesla keeps prices the same, scalpers and those wishing to run a small fleet of robotaxis rush in and buy up all the production, creating a multi-year waitlist. Consumers can only buy a car second hand, at grossly inflated prices.

2. Tesla increases the prices themselves.

If Tesla really does get this working fully, and nobody else has them, demand is going to spike like crazy. Assuming you can afford the upfront price, there’s no reason not to buy as many as possible.
===>Each one is estimated to give a 200% ROI per year<===.

This is my first observation regarding and comment upon Robotaxis. I’m using the post above to demonstrate a flaw I have noticed in mention after mention of this particular transportation mode, as follows.

But first, a slight apology for the didacticism.

Does no one else see the fundamental flaw in the assumptions here, esp. as epitomized ===>by what’s inside the arrows<===?

Well. He has said many things in the past that are straight foolish. But people forget just how far of an accomplishment and how close his prediction became true after being a few months late.

Part of me think he's a fool, part of me thinks he'll make me look like a fool. He has a better track record of making people look like fools more than looking like a fool..give him that much.

See? This is more proof that Elon skims TMC: ;)

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 11h11 hours ago
Elon Musk Retweeted World and Science
"No, I’m not"

World and Science @WorldAndScience
“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard P. Feynman
703 replies 1,260 retweets 18,173 likes​

--
Cheers!

upload_2019-7-9_21-58-30.png

upload_2019-7-9_21-58-56.png

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
My guess:
1) Tesla have bought the MY robots
2) They will build the line to temporarily make M3
3) They will make changes in 1 year to make the line 100% MY

Other benefits
  • Test new Alien Dreadnought 1.0 line methodology
  • Test GF3 line methodology without having to send engineers to China
  • Build up cell demand ahead of MY
Or?
Semi production in Freemont? plus earlier than planned?

This is my first observation regarding and comment upon Robotaxis. I’m using the post above to demonstrate a flaw I have noticed in mention after mention of this particular transportation mode, as follows.

Does no one else see the fundamental flaw in the assumptions here, esp. as epitomized ===>by what’s inside the arrows<===?
I'm not sure if I do, but images of tulips keep coming to mind.

From Bloomberg - a little more detail.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I wonder if that means they pulled the cost of the robots from Q2 results, and we may have a lower profit line than otherwise from the 95k deliveries. Or, if they--knowing Q1 was a bust anyway--took the costs from there, instead, and the items have been steadily arriving over Q2, and they're able to start assembling them now.

I wonder if that means they pulled the cost of the robots from Q2 results, and we may have a lower profit line than otherwise from the 95k deliveries. Or, if they--knowing Q1 was a bust anyway--took the costs from there, instead, and the items have been steadily arriving over Q2, and they're able to start assembling them now.
Robots are capex. Not expenses that go into p&l.

It's bad enough that TSLAQ and Tesla-hostile reporters pretend that Tesla "promised level 5 self-driving by the end of the year". But the fact that many Tesla bulls do the same thing is inexcusable. We need to push back against this false history every single time it's raised. The target is that the software be feature-complete by the end of the year, and then self-driving as regulatory approval is granted, which Musk expects to see at least somewhere in 2020 (when in 2020 was unspecified), but broadly after a couple years, broad approval requiring Tesla to prove a sufficient level of safety over manual driving, while Tesla continues to improve the hardware and software to "chase the 9s".

I agree that he annoys me with how he talks about it. How can he not have learned that every time he talks about appreciating cars or Tesla moving away from customer car sales that all he's achieving is scaring the market? For crying out loud, stop it. Talk about that once you've actually demonstrated some practical FSD, you're plausibly going to be getting regulatory approval in a meaningfully large market in the remotely near future, and a robotaxi customer market is starting to materialize.

Honestly, the whole concept of stopping selling consumer cars or hugely jacking up the price when robotaxis comes out makes no sense regardless. The cars cost the same to produce, and continue to earn solid margins. It makes much more sense to simply scale up production to track rates of robotaxi approval, which will vary greatly between markets. If you're worried about self-competition with your robotaxi programme, you either use legal or technical restrictions to prevent consumer cars from competing. Capital for scaleup will be no barrier if you have a legit robotaxi business; the bond markets will throw money at you. And Tesla can apparently build whole Gigafactories in China in just a year, so...
We all agree Musk said "feature complete" by end of this year. I doubt many will agree that "feature complete" is a worthless milestone, but it's true. Musk also said you won't need to pay attention by mid-2020 (from Geekwire):

“By the middle of next year, we’ll have over a million Tesla cars on the road with full self-driving hardware, feature complete, at a reliability level that we would consider that no one needs to pay attention,” Musk told investors at Tesla’s headquarters in Palo Alto, Calif.​

Finally, he expressed confidence regulators in at least some areas would allow Tesla to provide Robotaxi services in 2020. That's really not an issue, some areas are extremely lax. So the only real milestone is being able to take a nap in mid-2020.

We all agree Musk said "feature complete" by end of this year. I doubt many will agree that "feature complete" is a worthless milestone, but it's true. Musk also said you won't need to pay attention by mid-2020 (from Geekwire):

“By the middle of next year, we’ll have over a million Tesla cars on the road with full self-driving hardware, feature complete, at a reliability level that we would consider that no one needs to pay attention,” Musk told investors at Tesla’s headquarters in Palo Alto, Calif.​

Finally, he expressed confidence regulators in at least some areas would allow Tesla to provide Robotaxi services in 2020. That's really not an issue, some areas are extremely lax. So the only real milestone is being able to take a nap in mid-2020.
For those still learning to speak Musk and/or are confused about his pronouncements on Twitter recently, Babbel has a 20% discount through Friday!

Learn Spanish, French or Other Languages Online - Babbel.com

The problem is, once you have FSD/Tesla network one of two things happen:

1. Tesla keeps prices the same, scalpers and those wishing to run a small fleet of robotaxis rush in and buy up all the production, creating a multi-year waitlist. Consumers can only buy a car second hand, at grossly inflated prices.

2. Tesla increases the prices themselves.

If Tesla really does get this working fully, and nobody else has them, demand is going to spike like crazy. Assuming you can afford the upfront price, there’s no reason not to buy as many as possible. Each one is estimated to give a 200% ROI per year.

Tulips indeed.
For anyone else: You’re looking at a 200% ROI? Well, my friend, I’ll settle for 190%.

And

.......So

..............Forth

So the 200% fixed ROI is indeed a mistake, as in reality the total returns are fixed dollar amounts per car per year in the hypothetical scenario of Tesla gaining a robotaxi quasi-monopoly - so the returns will be lowered by the price paid to Tesla, via the initial purchase price and the Tesla Network revenue sharing fees paid to Tesla.

But the original primary point outlined by @MarcusMaximus is sound: if there's significant earnings via a quasi-monopoly of robotaxis, buyers will bid up the price of Teslas, to a level where there's still a healthy return left beyond market rates. Just like PC makers still made a good living even after they bled most of their margins to Intel and Microsoft.

Under that scenario Tesla FSD pricing will, in some markets, mirror NY taxi medallion pricing which reached a peak price of $1m per unit a couple of years ago (until Uber broke the monopoly):

blog_taxi_medallions_nyc.jpg

Note how NYC medallions are still worth ~$200k today, even after Uber/Lyft broke the medallion monopoly. Note how the $500k+ pricing phase of medallions lasted about a decade. Medallions were and are real sources of income.

So while artificial scarcity of supply won't generate 200% returns to Tesla buyers then, but it is going to push the price of every FSD capable Tesla beyond ~$100k return times the number of years the market expects Tesla to keep their FSD monopoly, up to the point of market saturation. Could be well beyond 200% ROI to FSD buyers now though.

Even bigger returns to Tesla shareholders: assuming Tesla limits supply to 10 million robotaxis globally, ~200 TSLA shares today mean a 0.0001% stake in Tesla, which means the income from about ~10 robotaxi "medallions". 20 TSLA shares today buy the income stream from a single robotaxi, without having to run the robotaxi.

It's not tulips and irrational bubble pricing, but the pricing spike of a (probably temporary) monopoly on an entirely rational basis.

Total return of an FSD "medallion" could move beyond the $1.2m peak of NYC taxi medallions, because an FSD taxi saves labor costs and can charge taxi income to customers, as long as Tesla manages geographical distribution of their robotaxis carefully to not crash taxi pricing in any city. I fully expect Tesla to apply medallion like quotas to robotaxis in major cities covered by the Tesla Network.

And yes, in such a scenario commercial robotaxi operators will initially price out private owners, with Tesla reaping a very high percentage of the FSD monopoly income.

BTW., in reality, should this happen, I expect Tesla to actually license their FSD technology to other EV makers (but not to gascar makers). The licensing conditions will be dictated by Tesla and will mandate those cars to use the Tesla Network for robotaxi quotas, pricing and revenue sharing.

Tesla will become the Intel-Windows chip-maker-OS-maker entity of the car industry, other carmakers will become the PC makers of that era.

At that point Tesla's revenue expansion will not be capital expensive anymore (shout-out to @TradingInvest) and will be valued like chip/software monopoly providers, with well beyond a trillion dollars market cap.

There's a lot of conditions to that happening though - but it's plausible and it's not tulips.

Last edited:

Do you write software, doggydogworld? I’m struggling to understand how you can describe a release date as not-a-milestone?

The day your software goes from “we test” to “the world is testing” is a pretty big deal.

Do you write software, doggydogworld? I’m struggling to understand how you can describe a release date as not-a-milestone?

The day your software goes from “we test” to “the world is testing” is a pretty big deal.

"Feature complete" is usually an internal development milestone that is very, very far away from a public release. It means that the code is mostly written, but still needs a lot of testing and a fair amount of additional developer effort if certain features don't work as intended.

So while "feature complete" is not a "worthless" milestone, to end users it certainly is a "meaningless" milestone - even if we assume the end of 2019 deadline is not subject to Elon time dilation - which it almost certainly is. ;)

Anyway, when Elon said "feature complete" I'm pretty sure he meant red light, traffic sign and parking space recognition, with left turn and right turn hands free driving of a selected door to door navigation route in city+highway environments, made available to Early Access owners with the usual nags and caveats.

An extended Navigate on Autopilot in essence, with a safety driver present. This is the capability they demoed to select investors on Autonomy Day.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Multiple posts about Robotaxis for carpooling, how to partition the car for privacy and the ever popular FSD timeline debate do not address the current SP or more importantly what is Tesla doing in the short term (production, deliveries etc) that will aid in purchase decisions.

I respectfully disagree.

Some of us have made significant long-term purchases during the recent dip precisely because of the potential for Tesla to be first to market with TaaS at a huge scale. Short term stuff is both exciting and affirming, but somewhat incidental to the truly massive "big picture" which is TaaS. There is no other investment like this in the world, and we are hungry for intelligent discussion and analysis around the whole topic.

It is entirely plausible that Musk's ultimate plan (at least since 2014 when he went all-in on FSD) has been all along to cause the total destruction of ICE and Fossil Fuels, and as quickly as possible. It was probably obvious to him by 2014 that this is not going to happen by simply being the "shining light" for all other OEMs to follow, but it definitely will happen through massive scale TaaS and TaaS pooling.

This is all neatly laid out by RethinkX in their 2017 report Get the Report — RethinkX, where they predict 95% of all US road miles to be TaaS or TaaS pooling by 2030 using only 26 million EVs with FSD, and for the economy and environment to be hugely better off as a result.

The "shining light" will actually instead be a nuke for the fossil and ICE industries once they realise that Tesla is well on track to launch TaaS at a massive scale. It really could be an overnight big bang. Call me a dreamer, but I am in pretty good company.

I had no doubts he'd get model 3 production figured out.

Good example of Elon getting it completely wrong and risking the company. Eight hundred Kuka robots were sitting pretty doing nothing, and experts flown in from all over including Germany to work round the clock on improvising conventional production from scratch, solving problems on the spot. That was a close and expensive call.

Using that analogy, the plumbing for the current effort in autonomy will need serious revision, which is what I expect.

There's one more thing I've previously mentioned - in the real world, neither European nor Asian regulatory bodies will be allowed to hand a foreign company monopoly powers tied to a strategically important and potentially lucrative business until local companies have had a go or several years have passed.

Here's something nice to share, though [German marques did not always rule the roost, btw]:

Jan-June Swiss Top Ten:
MARKE MODELL ANZAHL VERKÄUFE
1 Škoda Octavia 4759
2 VW Tiguan 3650
3 VW Golf 3097
4 Tesla Model 3 2577
5 Mercedes-Benz A-Klasse 2394
6 VW T6 2359
7 Mercedes-Benz C-Klasse 2333
8 Škoda Kodiaq 2295
9 Škoda Karoq 2284
10 Mercedes-Benz GLC-Klasse 2158

Remember - there are no federal subsidies for EV buyers in Switzerland.

Last edited:
BTW., in reality, should this happen, I expect Tesla to actually license their FSD technology to other EV makers (but not to gascar makers). The licensing conditions will be dictated by Tesla and will mandate those cars to use the Tesla Network for robotaxi quotas, pricing and revenue sharing.

Tesla will become the Intel-Windows chip-maker-OS-maker entity of the car industry, other carmakers will become the PC makers of that era.

At that point Tesla's revenue expansion will not be capital expensive anymore (shout-out to @TradingInvest) and will be valued like chip/software monopoly providers, with well beyond a trillion dollars market cap.

There's a lot of conditions to that happening though - but it's plausible and it's not tulips.

Thank you very much for making this point. Musk's goal has to be to have the greatest impact possible in transitioning the world away from ICE and fossil fuels. If he finds Tesla way out in front and alone in the TaaS market, then rather than charge monopoly prices he will want to go in low to drive maximum demand and then scale as fast as possible. This is planet-saving stuff, and he will most probably licence the tech to any surviving OEMs as you discuss to accelerate the scale-up.

As you say, its very plausible and its not tulips.

Here's something nice to share, though [German marques did bot always rule the roost, btw]:

Jan-June Swiss Top Ten:
MARKE MODELL ANZAHL VERKÄUFE
1 Škoda Octavia 4759
2 VW Tiguan 3650
3 VW Golf 3097
4 Tesla Model 3 2577
5 Mercedes-Benz A-Klasse 2394
6 VW T6 2359
7 Mercedes-Benz C-Klasse 2333
8 Škoda Kodiaq 2295
9 Škoda Karoq 2284
10 Mercedes-Benz GLC-Klasse 2158

Remember - there are no federal subsidies for EV buyers in Switzerland.

Nice figures, let's hope it goes on like that in Switzerland. What I am a "little" afraid, is that this is only the "initial" boost as the Model 3 came available in Europe. What we need know is more subsidies and/or prohibitions in cities of Europe for the use of Diesel vehicles. This will come for sure.

I am quite sure in 7 - 14 years, in all major cities in Europe, only electric vehicles will be allowed. All other vehicles cannot drive anymore into city centres.

Reactions: jbcarioca