Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“The collaboration could accelerate the deployment timetables of both carmakers, which have said they plan to put autonomous vehicles into operation in 2021.”

Why do VW and Ford not get called out on “ridiculous timeline”, like Tesla?

Cuz they didn't say 1M robotaxis?

They mean a dozen autonomous vehicles with human supervision in Southwest Tucson.

Chinese EV startup Seres halts US launch, lays off 90 people in Silicon Valley

Seres, the Chinese EV startup formerly known as SF Motors, is laying off 90 people in its Silicon Valley office, the company announced in a staff meeting held earlier today. The US launch of its first electric SUV, the SF5, is also now on hold

Hmm. Maybe building an EV company to take on Tesla is harder than analysts estimated.

They planned to assemble Chinese components in Indiana in former Hummer factory.

With 25% tariff that is no longer viable.

It is obvious and I don't understand how people don't see it. I'm in oil country and everyone around me thinks I'm nuts for investing in TSLA. Some of the smartest people I know are trying to talk me out of this investment. It's actually really weird for me.

It’s possible that even though those people are very smart, they’re completely unaware of how victimized they’ve been by an unprecedentedly massive disinformation campaign. Over the last few years, I’ve actually started to doubt “expert” opinions in many areas, because of how wrong they’ve been on a subject like Tesla, where my knowledge exceeds theirs.

It’s good news for those in a position to accumulate, as it has been a wonderful fire sale on the stock.

It’s bad news for those who aren’t, and may even need to be withdrawing (for retirement or some other reason).

It’s horrible news, in that it does affect demand and Tesla’s pricing power.

Last edited:
Regarding Tesla and advertising, NXP has a Tesla on their front page as the graphic for Automotive. The sub page also has an S as the lead image.
NXP Semiconductors | Automotive, Security, IoT
Automotive | NXP

I own more NXPI than TSLA. This is my play on profiting from all the money Tesla competitors will have to spend (lose) competing with Tesla. :D

I have no idea how much Tesla spends with NXP but I suspect their competitors spend more.

Some random predictions for 7/24 Q2 letter+call:

• Tesla modestly beats final FactSet earnings estimates
• Battery/Storage Investor Day details given
• Bullish outlook for Q3+Q4 given
• Tesla maintains 360-400K delivery guidance for full year 2019
• GF3 still on schedule incl some Q4 production

Less likely but possible:
• Tesla Pickup reveal date given
• Tesla Insurance launch date given

As for Porsche, if the review I referenced earlier is anything to go by how the Taycan will be received, few owners will be commuting or taking trips. They'll take it out on back roads or to the track and have a blast.
Not much of a blast if even 3P for 1/2 price can whip their ass.

They'll just show it off as a status symbol. Hey, look, I could buy a better car in S, but money don't matter to me, so I bought a Porsche just cause I think it looks cooler...

• Funny
Reactions: Stars aligned
What are we going to talk about when the stock is ~$2,798 a share?

Porsches, gardening in Iceland, how things suck if we can't plug our cars into houses, whether Robotaxis/FSD will preclude retail sales, Trump, impending S and X refresh, executive departures, Anton Wohlman, Grohmann, Maxwell, Falcon wings, whether recycling rockets or full self-driving or curing cancer is more difficult and by what order of magnitude, orders of magnitude, using Cyrillic fonts to pester Tesla Charts on Twitter, automobile fires, ARKK, Adam Jonas...

ETA: Cats

Shorts were correct that Tesla not reiterating guidance meant that they are probably going to change it at the earnings release. If not why wouldn't they just reiterate in the delivery report?

Then Jerome tells us Tesla is going to be ramping up production at Freemont and Shanghai is already installing the production line. Well, deliveries in H2 only have to average 5% higher than Q2 to meet current guidance, so there's no way they're lowering it. Therefore it's extremely likely guidance is going to be raised at the earnings release. Shorts are now in a cult-like trance, totally devoted and blind to all evidence.

Last edited:
Elon is obviously a cat person.
Indeed....

Elon-Musk.jpg

regarding charge speeds:
Yup, I agree that teslas ALREADY charge fast enough. I want to actually have time to grab a coffee and eat some horrendously unhealthy snack and also stretch y legs and yawn a bit before I get back in the car... I would actually view faster charging at superchargers as having a slightly negative value beyond current speeds. Better battery life for me versus a few minutes faster please!

...also...

Who gives a **** if a porsche charges in 20minutes less than a tesla if you have to drive two hours out of your way to find the nearest super fast porsche charger? Its a completely stupid approach. Wake me up to discuss charging speeds once there are a thousand fast chargers for posches worldwide. In fact nope... wake me up when there is 100. network size is WAY more important than speed.

Supercharger Network Value Comparison Tesla vs Porsche
Tesla
N (Telsa Stations) = 1533 N*N = 2.35M
N (Tesla Superchargers) = 13344 N*N = 178M

Porsche ( assume they are testing at 2 locations, 2 superchargers each location)
N (Porsche Stations) = 2 N*N = 4
N (Porsche Superchargers) = 4 N*N = 16

admittedly i have now clue how many superchargers there are on these other networks because i have yet to use anything other than my home charger and Tesla supercharger...i would like to put the correct numbers in for Porsche supercharger if one truly exists.

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
Shorts were correct that Tesla not reiterating guidance meant that they are probably going to change it at the earnings release. If not why wouldn't they just reiterate in the delivery report?

Then Jerome tells us Tesla is going to be ramping up production at Freemont and Shanghai is already installing the production line. Well, deliveries in H2 only have to average 5% higher than Q2 to meet current guidance, so there's no way they're lowering it. Therefore it's extremely likely guidance is going to be raised at the earnings release. Shorts are now in a cult-like trance, totally devoted and blind to all evidence.
Why would they want to raise the guidance ? It already had a big range (360k to 400k).