Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gross margin. We have taken down our full year auto gross margin forecast significantly, excluding $600mm of regulatory credits, to 17.4% from 19.6% previously. We forecast Tesla exiting 4Q with an 18.9% auto gross margin (ex. regulatory credits). We would note that for many years, Tesla management have targeted an auto gross margin of over 25% in a steady-state, but this quarter seemed to show an increased dependence on FSD take rates and regulatory credits to meet this target.

I must be missing something. I thought FSD revenue is a deferred revenue and thus not included in the gross margin until the features are in, so how can he say that Tesla is increasing its dependence on FSD take rates to meet its gross margin target?

I must be missing something. I thought FSD revenue is a deferred revenue and thus not included in the gross margin until the features are in, so how can he say that Tesla is increasing its dependence on FSD take rates to meet its gross margin target?

He could mean that the 25% GM target would be reached including FSD, but since it is not yet recognized, current GM is only 18.9%.

Ihor is modeling an additional 717k shares shorted over the last week.

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

"$TSLA short int is $9.41 bn; 41.27 mm shs shorted; 31.34% of float; 0.87% borrow fee. Shs shorted are down -715k in July, but up 717k over the last week. Shorts are down $223 mm in mark-to-market losses in July."

EAqW7BHXkAAGRuV

The same way I can say "Traditional carmakers are in an increasingly strong position due to lower oil prices that are likely to result from growing EV market share. Only cars powered by more tried and tested means will be able to take advantage of this cheap oil."

See, you can say anything you want, even if you're not getting paid to say it. :)

Autonomous cars get more appealing when you have a car that has a huge screen up front playing YouTube and Netflix movies while you sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee on a one hour commute. People should be investing simply based on that tweet. Haha

This might be a bigger deal than we understand.

It is approximately 2 hours of guaranteed ad time where a person is stuck in a car and the most likely activity they will do is watch netflix.

Still have to figure out FSD first though.

After the ER, I recall a bunch of bears claiming that Tesla juiced cash flow by severely cutting R&D funding, but from the 10-Q, R&D spending looks pretty similar to previous quarters, at ~$324mm. Slightly lower than some other quarters, perhaps, but not the complete obliteration that was being claimed. Am I missing something?

"New FSD" is only partly deferred since some features are functional. I don't know how much of it they recognize. As for margins, during the earnings call the DB guy asked:

Just first question on the guidance, I know previously there was a target out there of 25% kind of on S and X and Model 3. Just wondering is the updated one is that suggesting that that's no longer in play for the year or kind of what are the implications with today's update?​

Elon Musk
Well, if you factor in the full self-driving option. I think it is in play for the year. We seem to get the features done, make sure they are great, roll them out, and recognize revenue and increase the take rate on full self-driving. There's also – for the existing fleet, there's a very significant opportunity to upgrade the existing fleet to full self-driving. Since mostly he has not purchased this option yet. So there's a significant margin potential for the existing fleet to upgrade to full self-driving, which most of the fleet can. So, yes, absolutely, I think, like long term we are talking 25%, 30%. Not long term meaning like a year. Long term, like, in terms of vernacular that 30% gross margin is I think quite likely.​

Zach and Jerome went on to talk about manufacturing cost reductions, but it's pretty easy to read the above as "forget about 25% until we start recognizing lots of FSD revenue".

This might be a bigger deal than we understand.

It is approximately 2 hours of guaranteed ad time where a person is stuck in a car and the most likely activity they will do is watch netflix.

Still have to figure out FSD first though.

No, this feature will be very valuable even before FSD is available because it works when you are waiting in line like we were for two hours on Saturday trying to catch a ferry. And it works on the ferry too. It works when you are waiting to pick your kids up from school (what a strange world we live in) or when waiting in the car while a spouse picks up some groceries.