Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't per se disagree with him, I just disagree with the claim that he aced the interview. I think the interview wasn't very good.

Yeah, well I think the blame for that lies squarely on the shoulders of the people asking dumb company/CEO overview type questions during a post-earnings interview which should obviously focus on the actual results that were just reported.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

So key stats on Megapack:
  • 3 MWh (14x Powerpack 2)
  • 1.5 MW inverter
  • 60% increase in energy density relative to Powerpack
  • 10x faster installation
  • Tesla can deploy an emissions-free 250 MW, 1 GWh power plant in less than three months on a three-acre footprint
  • AC or DC connected.
  • Every Megapack arrives pre-assembled and pre-tested in one enclosure from GF1
  • Includes battery modules, bi-directional inverters, a thermal management system, an AC main breaker and controls.
  • No assembly is required, only need to connect Megapack’s AC output to site wiring.
  • 10x fewer parts than current systems on the market
  • In-house software to monitor, control and monetize Megapack installations.
  • All Megapacks connect to Powerhub, an advanced monitoring and control platform for large-scale utility projects and microgrids
  • Can integrate with Autobidder, Tesla’s machine-learning platform for automated energy trading
Sure looks like everything hoped for to transition the electricity grid to clean energy.

Last edited:
  • 3 MWh
  • 1.5 MW
  • Tesla can deploy an emissions-free 250 MW, 1 GWh power plant in less than three months on a three-acre footprint
  • AC or DC connected.
  • Includes battery modules, bi-directional inverters, a thermal management system, an AC main breaker and controls.
  • No assembly is required, only need to connect Megapack’s AC output to site wiring.
Sure looks like everything hoped for to end the ICE age of the electricity grid.

I love the in-house developed software that uses proprietary AI powered "EnergyTrader" software to wheel and deal electricity, eliminating the need for the grid operator to employ energy traders.

• 1.5 MW
  • AC or DC connected.
Sure looks like everything hoped for to transition the electricity grid to clean energy.
It's a prefabricated peaker plant.

Does anyone know if Tesla gets subscription fee for providing these type of service?

I don't know but I imagine it will be provided as a benefit of the sale.

Edit: At first I thought a utility company wouldn't want to commit to monthly fees for something like this but I'm reconsidering that since there is huge profit potential in smart energy trading. On the other hand, I'm not sure how this plays into the rules surrounding regulated electric utilities.

Last edited:
  • 1.5 MW inverter
  • AC or DC connected.
  • All Megapacks connect to Powerhub, an advanced monitoring and control platform for large-scale utility projects and microgrids
  • Can integrate with Autobidder, Tesla’s machine-learning platform for automated energy trading

I would love to know what price Tesla is charging for each Megapack.

Bloomberg New Energy Finance estimated average price for a 20MW / 80MWh AC installed energy storage system at $357/KWh in 2018.
This included $204 for Battery rack, $40 for EPC costs, $37 for balance of system costs, $17 for PCS, $15 for Energy Management System, $18 for Developer Overheads and $20 for Developer Margin.

I'm sure Tesla has just brought all these costs down dramatically.

I would love to know what price Tesla is charging for each Megapack.

Bloomberg New Energy Finance estimated average price for a 20MW / 80MWh AC installed energy storage system at $357/KWh in 2018.
This included $204 for Battery rack, $40 for EPC costs, $37 for balance of system costs, $17 for PCS, $15 for Energy Management System, $18 for Developer Overheads and $20 for Developer Margin.

I'm sure Tesla has just brought all these costs down dramatically.

Probably for a nice premium since the AI software is perhaps the most important part of this package. Seems to me that the better the software prediction, the more money you save during operation.

There are quite a few places that rely on diesel generation for power to remote villages and such - being able to drop in a pre-fab solar plant has quite the market potential I think for this application, I have to wonder how TCO compares to diesel generators once installed cost, fuel cost, fuel shipping, maintenance and all that is factored in... Where I am the energy supply is almost entirely hydroelectric (about 90%) and the balance mostly wind and a bit of biomass but there is about 130MW of these off-grid fossil fuel generators I gather (Our sustainability approach) and our utility is planning on converting those to green power in the next several years - so there's a market example!

Coal is already dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

No its not.
It still makes an excellent Christmas present for all the people you want to forget !

istock-148333206_coalstocking.jpg

• 1.5 MW inverter
  • AC or DC connected.

Mostly interested in 60% increase in energy density. Anyone have insights into how that would be achieved? Requires battery breakthrough (maxwell) or no?