Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shipping containers typically stack. Go four high and use one acre. Surround with trees.
I was actually considering the possibility of these getting stacked on top of each other. I don’t think it will work because of two major reasons: weight, and heat dissipation surface(s). The containers would become over-engineered, and it makes no sense when one considers that the Megapacks will usually be deployed next to either a solar or wind farm, where space is not the main constraint.

Just checked some of the images included on the product page: the containers have these series of circular openings all across their top covers, which look an awful lot like fan openings. Probably not meant to be covered.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 9.15.25 PM.png

Anyone see this? Elon Musk says Teslas will soon be able to stream Netflix and YouTube

Cost impact and of course could they monetize this capability (ie ads, etc.).

Is anybody think TSLA would earn any $ out of Netflix and You tube coming ? I know Google pays billions to Apple.

Will this allow for logging into your own account, or will it offer a free, ad supported version instead? (or both) I could definitely see that option working out. If you already pay for it, Netflix is just giving you more value. If you aren't a subscriber then they might get you to join after watching a few ad supported shows.

Only on Wi-Fi, and only parked (At least until true driverless FSD is legal, at which point they'll probably offer streaming data LTE tier or just let you hotspot from your phone). No to low cost depending on certain things (i.e., likely they will roll out WiFi to superchargers, but do they charge extra to cover installation / ongoing service costs, pad the charging costs to cover it so that it's "free", or just eat it entirely? - and of course if you're on Wifi that isn't Tesla's, it is "zero" cost to them other than developing - or rather enabling - the software support to do video playack)

And since the plan is to just enable the currently disabled video playback function in the browser, Tesla wouldn't bet getting any ad revenue, since it would just be operating like any other computer web browser. Any ad revenue would go to whatever site you're streaming from because it would be their site displaying the ads. They're not planning Netflix and Youtube apps that they can then somehow extort Netflix and Youtube a percentage of streaming revenue to make money from. Just enabling web video, and letting sites that use it work. You'll just log into your own account as you would on any computer.

Long term, there should be essentially "zero" revenue (other than potentially making the car more desirable and thus selling more cars, if they were demand limited) or costs (I expect Supercharger Wi-Fi will either cost or extra or they just increase the cost of energy by a fraction and long term be a wash) for this feature.

I was actually considering the possibility of these getting stacked on top of each other. I don’t think it will work because of two major reasons: weight, and heat dissipation surface(s). The containers would become over-engineered, and it makes no sense when one considers that the Megapacks will usually be deployed next to either a solar or wind farm, where space is not the main constraint.

Just checked some of the images included on the product page: the containers have these series of circular openings all across their top covers, which look an awful lot like fan openings. Probably not meant to be covered.

Definitely can't stack in operation, they clearly have cooling openings in the top.

However it does look like you can stack them for transport. They have the standard container mounting/coupling/etc holes in bottom and top corners. So you probably can treat them entirely as standard shipping containers for transport with zero special handling requirements.

Assuming a worst case scenario of zero mass optimization from building one big thing versus a bunch of smaller ones (despite 60% energy density improvement), and taking ~14 Power Packs and ~2.5 Power Pack inverters and their masses, you come out to around 57,000 lbs. 20' container max gross weight is ~66,000 lbs, so plenty of room. The actual thing could weigh far less due to redundant structures etc that would be eliminated by combining all these into one physical unit - though on the other hand it may need additional structure for supporting / distributing the mass for handling it as a container (not just stacking but standard lifting methods etc) so could go either way, but regardless there's ~9000 lbs of weight capacity left over assuming zero mass savings to start with.

Fred has a piece today on using Tesla Semi as a platform for a motor home. (I won’t include the link, but you know how to find it if you want).

He’s envisioning driving during the day and plugging it in at night. But it would be more remarkable the other way, once FSD is available. Imagine being able to tell the vehicle where to go next, and sleep while it takes you there. You could travel the continent on just some electricity, without leaving "home" and without driving.

So, ladies and gentleman, here now the Sancho Master Plan:

1. Buy more TSLA
2. In a few more years when FSD is generally available, retire
3. Tell Neroden "I told you so."
4. Sell home and buy Tesla FSD Motor Home
5. Load it with beer
6. Drive off into the sunset....

Hope this comes through.

Spooling up production line rapidly. Hoping to manufacture ~1000 solar roofs/week by end of this year.​

Solar is the most underperforming business line.

So TeslaQ are crying about how this is production number not pre-approved by the sitter. What do you guys think? Another episode of sp rollarcoaster or nothing is going to come out of this?

• Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash
There are quite a few places that rely on diesel generation for power to remote villages and such - being able to drop in a pre-fab solar plant has quite the market potential I think for this application, I have to wonder how TCO compares to diesel generators once installed cost, fuel cost, fuel shipping, maintenance and all that is factored in... Where I am the energy supply is almost entirely hydroelectric (about 90%) and the balance mostly wind and a bit of biomass but there is about 130MW of these off-grid fossil fuel generators I gather (Our sustainability approach) and our utility is planning on converting those to green power in the next several years - so there's a market example!

Yes indeed. There is a big freeway interchange being built near us with about a dozen construction trailers. On day one, they installed a large bank of solar panels to power the mini construction village. For major isolated construction projects, there seems to be a market for semi-mobile solar + batteries.

Looking forward to the time lapse installation video. Does it even need a slab? Those containers would be extremely heavy, but a sufficient number of adjustable height supports and maybe the site needs grading, compacting, and a layer of stones only.

One week, done. Maybe less.

Definitely needs an engineered concrete slab over recompacted soil or else the first rainfall and you'll have cave ins. Those megapacks are HEAVY.