Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: Grr, ignore, I am too slow.

He said 100s, not 1000s, and he said "inspect":

Inspections are non-destructive and even a very thorough one can be performed within a few hours, using rented/loaned cars. Doing this is certainly within the capabilities of the largest Tesla investors.

He really did say “tested literally thousands”. It’s a lot to source and test thousands, even if non destructive. There’s logistics costs too, because no single location has that number of Teslas for rent.

Twitter

There was a later batch of posts on twitter that covered both the paint shop at GF3 and overall paint quality at Tesla. It seemed like a big claim that he would be testing at this level even if it's just paint. How do you even get easy and cheap access to thousands of Teslas for a detailed exterior paint inspection? Tesla hadn't even produced all that many vehicles until recently and still relatively rare overall.

SoylentBrown on August 2nd: " I've posted this many, many times now and I hope @Tesla will be more proactive. While my firm has tested literally thousands of Tesla vehicles and while the vast majority have excellent paint thickness, batches made in the early days of Model 3 were highly variable."

Last edited:
His company's clients are mainly VC companies and hedge funds. I gather his team do car tear downs and quality inspections but also collect survey data. Presumably his GF3 visits were accompanying a large Tesla shareholder on their site visit.

I'd guess he runs an in depth due diligence research house/reverse engineering firm, focussed on engineering heavy companies. He says he is a "scientist with a doctorate in nuclear engineering as well as a doctorate in aerospace engineering from highly reputable organizations"

I'll caveat that there is nothing to confirm all his comments are not just made up, but he seems legitimate to me.

Some interesting comments on Tesla:
". I have one small team that specializes in cosmetic and visual/appearance concerns."

"my firm largely works for investors. Mainly hedge funds and VC firms. So much of the specifics is actually their IP.
I have obtained approval to talk in general terms from 3 of my clients, but I'm under NDA's for most stuff.
We collect all kinds of automotive consumer data via surveys and thru organizations we collaborate with."

"Don't think there has been a single Model 3 fire caused by the car in ANY way, including crashes. S & X vehicles likely to get the same pack modifications. Fire will soon be 10x-50x less likely that other vehicles IMHO."
"Have it on good authority that the refresh will have the Model 3 pack design which is nearly fireproof. Get an S then if you are worried. Pack version "E" is on the updated S. We are waiting on a donor to tear down - the E pack may be updated already. If so, the fire risk is ~ 0."

"I could be wrong here, but it's been suggested to me by "people close" that Tesla is wanting to shed the additional cost of having a cell supplier. The pack is the largest cost part of the car. Panasonic has a markup. Make your own cells, save whatever profit Pana was charging."

"I post this because my company does extensive survey work. While I agree with your assessment of complaints, and our own survey data reflects this, Tesla has some kind of magic working. Customers generally own more than one Tesla, or replace their Tesla with another one. So while our survey data and others confirms the complaint levels, it definitely doesn't correlate with customer loyal or satisfaction in any notable way. We don't see this very often, so it's definitely noteworthy. Most companies would kill for this TBH."

"Some points I would differ on would be: 1) Panasonic vs Tesla isn't unhealthy. Panasonic will have plenty of buyers of their cells regardless. 2) Tesla has fairly huge resources for cell tech via SpaceX."
"I know quite a few materials engineers, chemistry experts and more at SpaceX. Their teams of metallugists and many other disciplines are among the best in the world and highly inventive and creative. I have people older than me that say they are the best they've EVER seen."

"Tesla's cell tech is better than most, but I probably wouldn't call it a moat. Their advantage is more in the management systems and control logic, and the greatest advantage is in their total system integration of everything."

"I'll say my company is NOT located "conveniently" and dozens of my employees own Teslas."

"Has the chance to visit both Fremont and China/Shanghai recently. Much of Munro's suggestions have already been incorporated at Fremont. China factory is significantly different but won't suffer the same issues Fremont did first pass. But China may surface a lot of new ones..."

"We have had dozens of people inspect hundreds of Model 3's in the wild. Our data matches Lutz's observation. Gaps and paint are now def world class. Early ones were awful."
Some other auto industry comments:

"Having had a close look at i3 manufacturing, BMW did an absolutely horrific job with many aspects of the i3 program. The design wasn't appropriate, the line was far too costly and complex, but the worst was they made a car no one wanted. BMW's fail was their own here."

"Dealers actually spend the bulk of the advertising costs - depending on mfg some 4 to 6%. While the OEM isnt losing this, it does get passed to customers and does cut into margins one way or another. The OEM kicks in another 2-4% for an overhead of 6 to 10%."

"Having a supply chain is part of the problem. Existing carmakers are probably going to have to shed their suppliers to compete on price. Cars cost more than necessary because there are 4 to 8 layers of suppliers all adding their own markups..."

"The Germams will struggle with speed. Yes they can manufacture well. But I am extremely skeptical of their ability to pivot quickly. And by quickly I literally mean pivot over 4 to 10 yr timeframes."

It is difficult to judge this account's motives/credibility. Looking back to last year, most of his tweets were low value and sometimes even typical TSLAQ style tweets.

This year a lot of his comments show a genuine in-depth knowledge of Tesla and EVs - whether or not his credentials and evidence are fabricated.

He claims one of his main clients is a Tesla short hedge fund and they have allowed him to tweet some info, in part so TSLAQ people can be more aware of the risks of their position. Getting this permission could maybe explain the change in quality and language this year, but I still find it odd.

Anyway, a couple more interesting comments:
"Our firm has data on OEM's and we roll up every single supplier. So we can actually tell you the FTE equivalent that works for every automaker worldwide. We use FTE equivalent because some suppliers work exclusively for a given automaker and some do not. So we estimate.
Our data is available for a fee. What I *can* tell you is that on a mathematical basis Tesla is - by a fairly good margin - the most vertically integrated automaker. That's based on the ratio of direct staff vs supplier staff equivalents.
We go "three levels deep" in most cases. So level 1 is a supplier, level 2 supplies level 1, and 3 supplies 2. This gets us nearly back to the commodity providers. Billets or iron for forgings and castings, base chemicals for paints, and so on..."

"We have seen this as well. What I can say is that across multiple cars we have encountered multiple different designs for parts like control arms and knuckle joints and the like. Newer cars do appear to have both better alloys as well as better designs. But changes aren't consistent with any production or model year. It seems as soon as a new part becomes available, it goes into production. No analysis from us as to whether that's a good thing or not...we are still assessing things."​

He also disagrees with verygreen's claim that Shadow Mode doesn't really exist:
"I can't share a lot of detail due to various contractual obligations, but I can tell you there is a LOT more data being sent outside the AP node. And that there are more than a dozen ways that AP override events are detected. Your percentages are way off. Also worth noting that the car doesn't use wi-fi for many data elements. Lots of data going directly over cell networks so it can't be sniffed or traced on wi-fi."

Last edited:
What if: instead of attaching lifetime free SuperCharging to just the car, or even to Car + Owner, they attached it to only the Owner? One of the main reasons that I wouldn't upgrade my 2015 70D is because (until today) I would have lost my free SC. IMO, it would actually encourage present S/X owners to upgrade, knowing they can keep their free SuperCharging. It would be a nice perk for present owners.

Totally agree with this, plus it rewards the early adopters.

The reason this “dividend” discussion was permitted to continue through trading days was because it became painfully obvious that there are more than a vanishing number of forum participants who do not have an understanding of how capital markets work. I am hoping that some of the discussion has reached the consciousness of these members - hoping.

Among other important answers, FC finally brought out what I thought would have been raised very early on (and if it had been, my apologies to another contributor for having missed it): as has happened innumerable times in the past, a traded company that does not pay dividends also has enriched its shareholders by a third-party corporate buyout.

But the most important reason for capital markets not just to exist, but to establish - through the trading activities of those who can buy and sell without the layered complexity of a dividend - the worth of the corporate entity. And THAT thereupon is what allows the company once again to return to the capital markets, through equity or debt in all of their manifold permutations, and it is that which indeed, contrary to a prior poster’s assertion, is how the capital markets DO create REAL value.

I do think a discussion on company valuation preferences is particularly important with regards to Tesla.

Part of the reason there is such a divergence in opinion on Tesla stock, and why many people with typical finance experience have been sold on the Tesla is way overvalued narrative is because different people have different valuation experience, using different methods and embracing different theories on valuation.

My background was in science before I worked in investment banking (I'm not working there anymore), and I was surprised at how dogmatically people believed in valuation theories and “facts”, which seemed so clearly to be either rules of thumb or very early stage science. As in much of science, these are not always “facts” but just our current best explanations which will have to be iterated and improved in the future.

Similar to the divide between quantum physics and general relativity, some valuation methods and valuation expertise are only functionally useful within a narrow range of criteria, such as for example tools used to value growth companies (or at the extreme, startups) vs value companies.

The vast majority of financial capital is invested in mature companies so this is the experience most people in the financial industry have. Many of the people working in this subset of finance falsely believe their experience and valuation methods are easily transferable across the whole of finance. Hence we see investors such as Einhorn and Chanos completely out of their comfort zone trying to apply value investing methods to a startup like Tesla.

The discussion on whether actual dividend payments are ultimately the only source of value for a company here is much less practically relevant in the near term (I think everyone on both sides of the argument here still understands that short term value methods like P/E ratios etc are not a useful method of valuing startups and growth companies). Still, it does highlight how emotionally attached people are to their valuation beliefs.

I’ve spent a lot of time studying the different methods of valuing companies and frankly I don’t think much of them. I choose specific traditional methods when they are most practically useful, but I generally use my own valuation methods which are heavily based on expectation value across hundreds of probability weighted alternative financial models rather than using an arbitrary base case with arbitrary discount rates.

I only really spend time investing in and valuing difficult to value companies (startups, growth companies, fast declining companies, distressed companies) because I think this is where it is much easier to beat the market.

Ultimately there are three main ways to beat the market on a specific stock investment - relative to the crowd sourced equilibrium view reflected in the current price:
• Use a more appropriate valuation methodology
• Have a more accurate forecast for the company’s future cash flow
• Better predict upcoming catalysts or corporate actions.

People with a background investing in mature companies do not have experience with the best valuation methodologies for a company like Tesla. They also do not have experience of how to think about disruption, rapid consumer change, experience curves, operating leverage, optimum use of capital, technological innovation etc, so it is much more difficult for them to form an accurate forecast of the company’s future cash flow.
This is why we so often see auto analysts and typical financial investors completely failing to get the full picture with Tesla and the EV transition.

Also, all things are not equal. They're now making 15k units per week with a single shift, vs. 2-3 shifts for 25k units per week. They've become far more efficient. The hardware is cheaper now - for example, Raven is based on the mass-produced, 100% automated Model 3 motor production line, vs. the low volume motors in the old S/X.

There does appear to be some efficiency gains but it is not knowable whether these gains will be enough to offset the increased fixed overhead and the reduced economies of scale across the board for S&X. They now only need to order 75% the number of parts from external suppliers - will they get the same terms at reduced volumes? probably not from all suppliers. Do their internal lines for making S&X seats, falcon wing doors, etc still work at an optimal capacity? Again, probably not for all of them. Then there is the same depreciation requirements for the equipment used to produce S&X which has to be spread amongst fewer units. And fixed costs spread among fewer units (however the 3 unit growth should cover this).

What happened to the equipment in the idled lines? can Tesla re-purpose all of it or will they have to take a P&L hit against the non reusable pieces of equipment?

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I haven't seen any discussion on this yet about the GM's for the purely auto part of the business which was the main reason most of the professional investment community panned the most recent quarter, and the stock got hammered.

I know a lot of people are concerned about Model S/X volumes, but the early read is that that are more or less in line with the last couple of months, and perhaps trending up a bit. Maybe the free super charging for life and ludicrous included in the higher priced performance model's will draw in some additional buyers.

That being said, while we all love to see higher S/X volumes but, those cars were never going to be the bread and butter for Tesla moving forward, and the BIG story the naysayers are focusing in on is, Can Tesla make and sell M3's and down the road Y's at a GM that will generate meaningful profits?

Digging through the 10Q, we did learn that Model 3 margins actually did improve in the quarter so there was a silver lining there. Just having gone through the process of looking for and finally finding a P3- vehicle, Tesla has sold a ton of them, and as we are finding out this only seems to be a software "flip of the switch" which is basically adding an additional $2k of profit per vehicle being sold with no additional costs on the Tesla side. Roughly speaking that adds about 4% of GM per P3- sold, and they have sold a ton of them.

We live in a Tesla area, but just on the day when we picked ours up there were 6-10 in line for delivery and another hauler was pulling in loaded with more 3's. Assuming the manufacturing process continues to improve and with the higher margin p3- in the mix this quarter, thinking we could see the GM decline improve.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any discussion on this yet about the GM's for the purely auto part of the business which was the main reason most of the professional investment community panned the most recent quarter, and the stock got hammered.

I know a lot of people are concerned about Model S/X volumes, but the early read is that that are more or less in line with the last couple of months, and perhaps trending up a bit. Maybe the free super charging for life and ludicrous included in the higher priced performance model's will draw in some additional buyers.

That being said, while we all love to see higher S/X volumes but, those cars were never going to be the bread and butter for Tesla moving forward, and the BIG story the naysayers are focusing in on is, Can Tesla make and sell M3's and down the road Y's at a GM that will generate meaningful profits?

Digging through the 10Q, we did learn that Model 3 margins actually did improve in the quarter so there was a silver lining there. Just having gone through the process of looking for and finally finding a P3- vehicle, Tesla has sold a ton of them, and as we are finding out this only seems to be a software "flip of the switch" which is basically adding an additional $2k of profit per vehicle being sold with no additional costs on the Tesla side. Roughly speaking that adds about 4% of GM per P3- sold, and they have sold a ton of them.

We live in a Tesla area, but just on the day when we picked ours up there were 6-10 in line for delivery and another hauler was pulling in loaded with more 3's. Assuming the manufacturing process continues to improve and with the higher margin p3- in the mix this quarter, thinking we could see the GM decline improve.

I believe the new Pickup Truck will sell in S/X volumes if not more so and will sell at similar price points with the same high margins. And in a segment that is expanding unlike the luxury sedan market.

Reactions: capster and willw64
It will be interesting to see how it is positioned in the pick up market and how it is received. A lot of people who buy an F150 or Avalanche never need the off road capabilities, but just like to drive trucks, and then there is a big percentage who need the rough and tumble attributes of a truck.

And if it is true that the Y actually has a large percentage of the same components as the 3, then you would think when it rolls out it will have much fewer hiccups than the 3 did, and will be additive to margins as well.

It will be interesting to see how it is positioned in the pick up market and how it is received. A lot of people who buy an F150 or Avalanche never need the off road capabilities, but just like to drive trucks, and then there is a big percentage who need the rough and tumble attributes of a truck.

And if it is true that the Y actually has a large percentage of the same components as the 3, then you would think when it rolls out it will have much fewer hiccups than the 3 did, and will be additive to margins as well.

I can't help but wonder if that electric Ford F150 train pull promo was only made to give current truck owners a reason not to buy the Tesla pickup.

We haven't heard anything except whispers about the electric Ford F150, and then out of the blue they launch that macho promo video that's long on tricks (only takes 2k lbs of force to pull a 1 mil lb train) and short on details. Ford might not release an electric truck until 2030, but just the fact that it's coming will give current F150 owners pause before buying a Tesla.

Cliffski has been crucified for saying A, when he didn’t say A, he said B.

“This share does not pay dividends”.
“This share can never pay dividends.”
“No shares may pay dividends.”

Three very different things.

The first share has value. The second has almost no value. For the second share to have value one would require enough of them for a controlling interest, or a corporate buyout that leaves you holding a new stock of the first type that has value.

If statement three were true, the stock market would collapse, because almost no value could be extracted from any stock, not even via buyout.

An analogy is you pay for a friends college tuition in exchange for an IOU for 1% of his earnings in some future year. The IOU has value, you can sell it for a gain if your friend becomes a big earner. But if pixies glue his wallet shut*, the IOU is worthless.

*Or he is transported by aliens. Invent a contrivance which blocks reward, as arbitrary as the non existence of dividend.

Again, the focus on dividends is wrong. The focus should be cash flows.

If statement three were true, the stock market would collapse, because almost no value could be extracted from any stock, not even via buyout.

Not true. Someone could buy all those non-dividend paying shares, take the company private and then have access to its cash flows. Say, hypothetically, Apple never payed or will ever pay dividends, what do you think the stock would trade at? Yes, less than it trades at now. But do you really think it would go to zero? Of course not. At some lower price, somebody or some group would come in and just buy all those shares and take it private. >10B cash flow every quarter. What do you think a minimum take private offer per share would be? Certainly much more than zero dollars per share!

The deciding criteria of value is accessibility to cash flows (and not dividends). Now if the cash flows were mysteriously locked up by pixie dust or aliens, then yes the company, whether publicly traded or private, would have no value. See my comment earlier:

If you could never access dividends via a stock, then it depends. Can you access the future cash flows in any way, say by taking the company private by taking over majority of the dividend and non-dividend paying shares? Then maybe okay.

Say hypothetically, you had a company which generates boatloads of cash, but for some mysterious reason that cash is locked up in an impenetrable vault that no human could ever access. So here is a company that will never pay dividends to individual shareholders nor distribute its profits to any private investor that bought the whole company outright, yet it generates tons of cash. In such a case, it is accurate to say that the this company is worthless, whether it is individually owned by different shareholders or entirely privately owned by some entity. Buffett would not buy this company...

The point is that the *cash flow is accessible* to the owners to do with as they wish: pay themselves, re-invest, or simply hoard. Whereas in the above hypothetical case, the *cash flow is inaccessible*. The former company has value, the latter does not.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if that electric Ford F150 train pull promo was only made to give current truck owners a reason not to buy the Tesla pickup.

We haven't heard anything except whispers about the electric Ford F150, and then out of the blue they launch that macho promo video that's long on tricks (only takes 2k lbs of force to pull a 1 mil lb train) and short on details. Ford might not release an electric truck until 2030, but just the fact that it's coming will give current F150 owners pause before buying a Tesla.

I think the Ad was for Wall Street rather than Main Street.

If Tesla comes out with a mind blowing Pickup, Ford, Rivian etc might all be at a disadvantage as it will be hard to change directions once you have started path to production. This is unlike what is happening for S/X/3 where they can try to reverse engg the stuff.

...People with a background investing in mature companies do not have experience with the best valuation methodologies for a company like Tesla. They also do not have experience of how to think about disruption, rapid consumer change, experience curves, operating leverage, optimum use of capital, technological innovation etc, so it is much more difficult for them to form an accurate forecast of the company’s future cash flow.
This is why we so often see auto analysts and typical financial investors completely failing to get the full picture with Tesla and the EV transition.

Yes. Don't look for an investment by Warren Buffet in TSLA. Couldn't happen.

I can't help but wonder if that electric Ford F150 train pull promo was only made to give current truck owners a reason not to buy the Tesla pickup..

Unless Tesla comes out with a video with their pickup pulling 2 million pounds of train cars. :D At this point, I think they almost have to do something over-the-top, even more impressive. They should get the same F150 enthusiasts together, disguise the Tesla pickup as an F150, pull 2 million pounds of train cars, and then pull off the wrap to reveal the real Tesla pickup. :cool:

Reactions: gene and Donatas
I ordered Model 3 Performance. Figured I’d snag one before Tesla files for bankruptcy later this month ya know. White on White with FSD
FA5CCBF4-C8A2-4C5C-B42A-15EFAB45A323.png