Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what about my 30 pound cat?

Your 30lb cat would either a) be free roaming and crawl everywhere, in which case good luck with the seat going on/off/on/off/on constantly, or b) is in a cage/restraint, and thus would not let you forget about it there, as they'll be complaining. Loudly. At all times.

My cat, Fredrick (pictured) has the softed, quietest, most polite meows in the world... until he's in a cat carrier. At which point he's trying to drown out the jet going overhead.

Monopoly refers to the market position (of a single producer or a de facto single producer), not the methods used to establish or maintain the monopoly.

Anticompetitive practices refers to stopping competitors from competing to establish or maintain a monopoly.

Being a monopoly is not a desirable state for a company, as it means that antitrust laws have much more teeth against a monopoly than a non-monopoly. So, you'll sometimes see managed opposition to prevent regulators from treating a company as a monopoly - see Intel and AMD, or Microsoft and Apple. Both of those situations are becoming less true - AMD is now producing clearly superior products to Intel in some segments, Apple has built their brand up to the point where they don't need Microsoft's help and are in fact similarly sized - but at some point or another, both Intel and Microsoft have in some way supported their competition to avoid antitrust regulation.

Not sure we have agreement. Tesla fails the "exclusive" test. Dominant position in the market is not monopoly as there are other suppliers. Tesla also fails the commodity test in my book. Many would say they fail the service test, as well.

mo·nop·o·ly
/məˈnäpəlē/
noun
the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 9.10.09 AM.png

Am I missing something or does this only mean that they would have to cover for a few days while the new digital share is issued, and then they could re-short the stock. How does it prevent them from shorting it after the stock is issued?
It doesn't, but covering 40M short shares and then re-shorting 40M "in a few days"? Love to see how that works!

When I first read about one-pedal driving my gut reaction was to be very skeptical. But when I thought about it a little I realized that with the right interpretation of the pedal (it has to be dynamic) it could only be not-bad, but actually quite good.

Now that I have my Tesla I love it, but that may be in part because I come from driving manual transmission vehicles where I would slow down without using the brakes all that much. My main problem with Tesla's regen is that the amount of regen varies, especially in cold weather, so it can be hard to gauge deceleration. I think I understand why they don't, but I believe it would be an improvement to make regenerative braking 100% consistent by automatically applying the brakes as needed to reach the deceleration that would have been applied via unrestricted regen. Presumably this would lead to increased brake pad wear, but I think the improved repeatability would improve safety and it would certainly make driving easier by removing a variable.
Makes me pine for the simple days when I could coast down my local gentle mountain slope, manual transmission in neutral, and just turn the key to "off" for max efficiency; there was no downside to this at all!

EDIT- ...And before anyone gives me any "whatabout..." replies... whatever you're going to say, don't bother, because my old truck did not have it in the first place. Nope, not even a radio!
(Not servo-anything equipped, neither.)

Last edited:
It’s in the manual too, now that I look. That’s bizarre though, and doesn’t seem right. Does that mean if I park for a few days, COP won’t even check cabin temp and cool if necessary on the second day?

As I understand it, yes, and indeed I went out to my car just an hour ago to see why it was so hot inside despite having COP set on and being plugged-in. Of course after having opened the door, the 12-hours has now reset and it's back down to 40° again (I'm on vacation in Provence with the car parked in the sun all day).

Not sure we have agreement. Tesla fails the "exclusive" test. Dominant position in the market is not monopoly as there are other suppliers. Tesla also fails the commodity test in my book. Many would say they fail the service test, as well.

mo·nop·o·ly
/məˈnäpəlē/
noun
the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

View attachment 441656
It isn't a matter of dictionary definitions, its a matter of legal definitions. For example, Microsoft had a monopoly on workstation operating systems and was convicted for abusing that monopoly position. Sadly, a change in regime led to no punishment.

[edit: to be clear, microsoft was not exclusive -- there was MacOS, Amiga, Acorn, etc. It was dominant despite there being other suppliers of operating systems. And it wasn't that having a monopoly was a problem, it was their abuse of it.]

[edited to add: this started with comments about whether or not Tesla would ever have a monopoly wrt EVs or battery supply. It does not require that there not be others and would be competitors can sue for relief. For example, attempting to coerce Tesla to reserve battery production for competitor usage in order to constrain Tesla's ability to supply for their own needs.]

Seat weight does not work with a semi-permanent car seat base latched in. It should preload the occupancy sensor.
Wind or passing traffic sway a car more than a newborn in a rear facing seat.
The rear door usage state machine seems like a feasible add on. Other option is a fob on the kid that the Tesla detects. Problem in either scenario is that people might rely on it.
GREAT IDEA!

Now Tesla can sell waterproof kidfobs in their store! A great conversation starter for pediatrition visits, and we all know they have the means to buy a Tesla!

It isn't a matter of dictionary definitions, its a matter of legal definitions. For example, Microsoft had a monopoly on workstation operating systems and was convicted for abusing that monopoly position. Sadly, a change in regime led to no punishment.

[edit: to be clear, microsoft was not exclusive -- there was MacOS, Amiga, Acorn, etc. It was dominant despite there being other suppliers of operating systems. And it wasn't that having a monopoly was a problem, it was their abuse of it.]

[edited to add: this started with comments about whether or not Tesla would ever have a monopoly wrt EVs or battery supply. It does not require that there not be others and would be competitors can sue for relief. For example, attempting to coerce Tesla to reserve battery production for competitor usage in order to constrain Tesla's ability to supply for their own needs.]

Not sure I agree, still, as there are differences.

Let's start with a legal definition:
Monopoly Law and Legal Definition. Monopoly is a control or advantage obtained by one entity over the commercial market in a specific area. Monopolization is an offense under federal anti trust law. The two elements of monopolization are (1) the power to fix prices and exclude competitors within the relevant market. (2) the willful acquisition or maintenance of that power as distinguished from growth or development as a consequence of a superior product, business acumen or historical accident.

A market condition in which there is only one seller and one buyer is called a bilateral monopoly. A situation where one buyer controls the market is called monopsony.

Tesla fails that test as well. Microsoft OS and application software on third party hardware are a different case. Tesla should not open up their OS to keep differentiation clear.

• Informative
Reactions: Thekiwi and UncaNed
Careful with dry cat food, it can lead to urinary problems... I know, happened to one of my cats (the one on the right), fortunately,vet resolved it, but now we feed wet food, with some dry in the night as a treat.

Sorry, that was seriously OT.

Come on, Shapeshifter. It wasn’t the fact the food was dry that led to the urinary problems; it was one or more ingredients in the food.

Cats have to have hard food, as do dogs, to help prevent tartar build up on their teeth, which can lead to gum disease, tooth decay etc... Unless of course you’re brushing your cat’s teeth regularly, then knock yourself out with the soft food.

Sorry, mods. That misinformation had to be corrected.

Last edited:
For some reason, having Overheat Protection on causes some battery drain even if it never triggers the cooling system. Don’t ask me why, but I have gotten repeatable results. When I park in my airport’s parking garage (never gets hot enough to trigger Overheat Protection) and leave Overheat on, I get about 2% drain per day. When I leave it off, I get about 1% per week.

Having it on probably prevents the car from going into deep sleep mode as it has to keep things going to monitor the temperature.

I'm sorry, what? I've never heard of such a feature. My googling only lead to "airbags are a danger to children" links, I'm afraid the bolded section I've doubts on. Do you have a link to this feature?

If they don't have such an ability yet, than it really would be a new tech they'd have to develop, and really, statistically does it make sound sense to do so? How many people would actually use the feature, and also be the type of person who would forget about their child in the backseat? If they're a forgetful person, probably they'd also forget to turn the feature on.

Above argument applies. How many people would have this feature, remember to turn this feature on, and also forget their child?

I will say that this one of sensing the doors opening/closing would make more sense than a weight limitation alone. It'd elliminate the all/nothing weight allotment, and car would only have to install a simple weight scale and some software to enact, vice build a whole new system to calculate when a child is or is not in the safety seat that is constantly left in the car.
I don’t understand your post but currently if the vehicle front passenger seat sensor detects what it thinks is a small child in the front seat it gives a warning that the airbag is disabled. That is the same functionality I am referring to it just needs logic to work to check if the child is removed when the driver leaves. Yes it is not fool proof because people are stupid but most Tesla owners are smarter and more caring than average so I think this would attract people who would use it. Children dying in cars is not a theoretical. It happens.