Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might like two-pedal better since it allows me more control.

?

I don’t understand this statement. Can you elaborate in what way/s you feel two pedal driving gives more control. I haven’t found that to be true at all. I’ve noticed no difference in terms of control, but there is a real difference in ‘application’ timing between one and two pedal driving.

Makes me pine for the simple days when I could coast down my local gentle mountain slope, manual transmission in neutral, and just turn the key to "off" for max efficiency; there was no downside to this at all!

Right up until you need to speed up to avoid the landslide coming for you, and it won't restart. :eek:

EDIT- ...And before anyone gives me any "whatabout..." replies... whatever you're going to say, don't bother, because my old truck did not have it in the first place. Nope, not even a radio!
(Not servo-anything equipped, neither.)

Not even a vacuum brake booster?

?

I don’t understand this statement. Can you elaborate in what way/s you feel two pedal driving gives more control. I haven’t found that to be true at all. I’ve noticed no difference in terms of control, but there is a real difference in ‘application’ timing between one and two pedal driving.
Presumably I could coast instead of one-pedal driving. Never having driven other than an EV other than Tesla, so thinking I'd have more options. Often I feel I have to gently meter out the deceleration rate at a light or whatever to avoid going full regenerative braking all at once.

• Disagree
Reactions: Christine69420
Presumably I could coast instead of one-pedal driving. Never having driven other than an EV other than Tesla, so thinking I'd have more options. Often I feel I have to gently meter out the deceleration rate at a light or whatever to avoid going full regenerative braking all at once.

Yes, you have to have more ‘feel’ in your foot to get the most satisfaction out of one pedal driving, including the ability to coast - which you can in a Tesla.

A friend has zero foot feel. In a gas car there is this constant speed up, slow down, speed up of just a few mph. It’s so bad it makes me a bit queasy and I’m not prone to getting car sick. In their 3 it’s still there but much less. I don’t know if the 3 has helped them develop some foot feel or if it’s something else Tesla has done to their cars’ reaction to pedal pressure, but I no longer have to tell the friend to pull the **** over so I can drive before I smack you upside the head and then vomit all over you. The 3 has saved our friendship.

Today's drop is not TSLA related. May I present to you the FAANGS:
upload_2019-8-14_11-56-55.png

I don’t understand your post but currently if the vehicle front passenger seat sensor detects what it thinks is a small child in the front seat it gives a warning that the airbag is disabled. That is the same functionality I am referring to it just needs logic to work to check if the child is removed when the driver leaves. Yes it is not fool proof because people are stupid but most Tesla owners are smarter and more caring than average so I think this would attract people who would use it. Children dying in cars is not a theoretical. It happens.

I never said it was theoretical, I said it happens so rarely as to not warrant the tech required to develop to address it. Since 1998, 818 kids have died from being left behind (Hot car deaths: More than 38 kids die in hot cars every year - CNN), which numbers--while worrisome on their own--compare to kids who died from a bicycle accident is a 100 each year (default - Stanford Children's Health), heat deaths is not that much at all.

However, I was unaware that air bags now somehow adjust for smaller persons in the front. If the tech has already been built, its' not nearly the large investment of making it from scratch.

Still, the idea that was mentioned earlier to tie in the weight scale with the back door opening/closing could be a worthwhile tech, without having to calculate the neuances required for more size/weight effects. Basically, if I turn the feature on, and there is weight in the back, it'll send a reminder to me about said weight if I depart from the area (locking the car) without opening the rear doors. If I do open the doors, and forget about the child still, well, you can't fix complete stupid.

shorting as a strategy to hold Tesla back will no longer be worth it - might still be profitable for a traditional short trade though.

What would makes shorts think it's "no longer worth it"? Remember, 1 day delayed = $2.75b in the oil market. Here's a thought....

Is that time when cash flow is so sweet that shorting it has no effect on growth? Aren't we there yet, or do we need a steady profit too? Last I checked, profit isn't a requirement for growth, and I see no indication that the SP is affecting Tesla decisions on how to expand, or how much, or when. The only effect could be us longs and the employee stock options.

This gradual disconnection from short influence could lead to a realization that more losses by shorts has no effect on the real change they fear - people moving to BEVs in large numbers. Is that the turning point?

Allowing for non-flat roads is the opposite of a constraint.

Other scenarios where regen has the advantage over coasting:
Stopsign on a slight downhill slope.
Stoplight that might still be red when you get there (regen is better if regen efficiency percentage is better than green light probability)
Stopsign with A/C is on full blast. Time spent below max efficiency speed is wasted energy. Better to decel later using regen than to coast below ~30mph
Time constraints

Scenarios where coasting has the advantage:
Stopsign on an uphill slope.
Stoplight you’re sure will turn green in time
A/C off (allows for lower max efficiency speed, earlier decel)

Porsche: for the driver who only drives on flat roads with no traffic, and has time to coast to every stop sign with the a/c off.

I've been driving my model 3 for 18 months now. In all that time, I could never perfectly simulate coasting for more than a mile (have regen on standard for the city miles part of my commute). I consume the most energy during the highway portion.

I also have a leaf that only has a mild or no regen. Despite the EPA ratings, which vehicle do you think I get the lowest energy consumption from? In theory, it should be the Tesla, but I'm an imprecise human being that makes mistakes. It's easier for me to maintain speed with coasting than with the accel pedal. Although anecdotal, I suspect others are similarly human and would benefit more from having coasting capability.

So please understand that I'm not knocking Tesla, only defending Porsche in their decision.

That can be turned off. Then you forget.

OT,
On this child sensor thing, the cabin camera might be best as motion detection, and facial recognition capable (which was the plan assumed for ridesharing ID). True, no child deaths yet in Tesla, but it will happen and better to be ahead of it. Great PR move too! Safety bandwagon gets bigger. Software upgrade please...

Suggestion for the mods: Maybe start a thread called "Actual TSLA stock price discussion" and move relevant posts there?

Would save the rest of from having to wade through 8 pages of regen braking and cabin overheat protection discussions? Waddauthink? Would probably save you guys time too!

In unrelated news, why is TSLA (and other tech stocks) down almost double the SP500 at this point? No relevant news it seems related to tech tariffs specifically.