Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Taycan is only 5 passengers with ... leg limitations in the back row though ;)

porsche-taycan-interior.jpg
This and half the cargo volume of an S. The true comparison is Taycan Vs M3.

In speaking of Tesla competition, looks like Ford's put out some promos for their upcoming "Mustang inspired" crossover. They're definitely positioning it as a competitor to the Model Y.

Most interesting is how these promos seem to throw their ICE vehicles under the bus. The designers are talking about how EVs are superior: "The feedback from the throttle is immediate in only the way a battery electric vehicle can really give you."

So Porsche sells 37K 911s around the world and you think Porsche is not going to sell 40K similar priced Taycans? Not sure about Porsche but VW sells in over 153 countries around the world. I think Porsche can move 40K Taycans.

I flat out do not think Porsche is going to be able to sell 40k Taycan's. I don't believe they will be able to get the lowest priced Taycan down to anywhere close to what people were thinking which was the 80-90k range. I think when Tesla does their S and X refresh, it will crush low end Taycan demand and I think Roadster 2 will crush high end Taycan demand.

I do for exciting the roundabout to let other the sake of other cars wanting to enter.

In Europe you indicate before you exit, but... (this example for left-hand drive cars - Belgian's are exempt from all rules)

If your exit is the first exit, you indicate right before entering the roundabout.

If it's the second exit the you don't indicate on entering the roundabout, then right after passing the first exit.

If you're taking the 3rd exit or after then you indicate left before entering the roundabout, then right after passing the the exit before the one you intend to take.

This is common sense.

Taycan

Some love it's looks. Model S is the same.

I recently drove an i-Pace. Much better than my old ICE. A purring V6 ??? No gimme electrons!

The thing I really missed? Superchargers. And autopilot. But most? No superchargers? SuCs!

They can put up Ionity chargers at Porsche dealerships and perhaps the Ring. But else? Where are they? Charging at fastchargers gets old really fast! No Ionity chargers anywhere I went in the Jag.

Driving the i-Pace feels good. Quick. Nimble. But charging? Such a drag! Tesla wins the drag race every time.

And to be on topic? Almost a green portfolio now...

• Informative
Reactions: gene and humbaba
There will always be Porsche die hard fans....but if Tesla can start producing the Roadster by Q4 2020, Taycan really is dead. If Tesla does the S/X refresh in Q1 12020, Taycan is also dead. If Tesla does Roadster by Q4 2020 & S/X refresh by Q1 2020 the not only is the Taycan dead but Porsche's entire lineup and the company as a whole is seriously threatened. Porsche exec's have gotta be sweating bullets at the response so far from the reveal.

giphy.gif

So Porsche sells 37K 911s around the world and you think Porsche is not going to sell 40K similar priced Taycans? Not sure about Porsche but VW sells in over 153 countries around the world. I think Porsche can move 40K Taycans.

So the thing is, the Porsche Taycan is primarily competing with the Porsche Panamera, which has the following specs with the most expensive engine:
  • Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo 0-60 – 3.2 seconds
The Taycan is beating that with 2.8 seconds, but doesn't come close to the 2.2 seconds of a Model S P100 Ludicrous.

An entirely rational decision by Porsche buyers would be to:
  1. Not buy a Panamera, because the Taycan is faster and sexier,
  2. many of them won't buy the Taycan either, because when comparing it to the other top EV: a Tesla accelerates better, has higher top speed and almost twice the range,
  3. not to mention expected first generation technical problems: Porsche might have 100 years history as an ICE engine maker, but is otherwise an EV virgin.
  4. (Probably less than 5% of Porsche buyers are using them on the tracks, so track performance does not matter, even if they have 4 vomit bags installed for the experience. ;))
So what would a large chunk of Porsche buyers do, even if they don't want a Tesla for some reason? Defer the purchase and wait. I think Porsche dealers are going to find it harder now to convince their customers to buy the ICE version.

And that's the biggest nightmare of ICE carmakers: cannibalization and Osborning.

But if there's an ICE carmaker on the planet that could in principle survive the conversion to EVs, it's Porsche with their high margins, very high customer satisfaction and brand recognition. I'm very curious of the next 2 years of Porsche sales.