Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prep for the Iceland store/service centre launch is well underway. :)

Just got a post on our Tesla Facebook group from someone with connections to Tesla. Translating:

-------------
Tesla opens 9/9 at 9:00
Tesla Reykjavík opens on Monday at 9 AM. Everyone is welcome but there will not be any particular schedule. 8 Tesla employees will be present, two of them being employees of the Icelandic branch.

Show cars will not be arriving in the country in a timely manner. A Model 3 has been borrowed to have as an example in the store.

Further, I was asked to request that owners of 5-10 cars could be present on the first day. Owners will get some kind of signage to identify themselves as owners rather than guests. This would be a good opportunity to plug your referral codes.

The parking lot in front (east of the building) will be allocated for Tesla on this day. At 5 PM it's planned to drive a convoy to show the cars and it would be fun if as many people as possible would be with.

Follow Elon Musk closely on Twitter on Monday.

I'll perhaps get more information tomorrow, Saturday.
-------------

He then conducted a poll asking people when they'll be able to be present with their car and whether they'll take part on the convoy.

Also: Iceland is showing up on the Tesla list for some people but not others... they're clearly working on the site:

70651198_10218805495316087_3975211237125390336_n.jpg

You can see our flag there (Ísland). You know, some people complain about how long, cold, dark and windy Iceland's winters are - but on the other hand, our flag is a big plus...

;) Thank you, I'll show myself out....

So they schedule a grand opening, but have... no cars... So typically Tesla :D

Last edited:
U.S. launches antitrust probe into California automaker agreement - Reuters

There's more coming: it's about time the only globally successful US car manufacturer was forced to add refillable containers emitting a good cross-section of the entire particle-zoo into the ambient air. Can't have people become de-desensitized. Enough of these foolish Ad-Blue dreams already. Ad-Grey is what it's about. [In the back of my mind, Alex Roy fingering the Taycan's interior... sooo sexxxyyy, der smoking packagen, yesss.]

One thing not mentioned as much about racing on the ring is braking performance. Although, the ring doesn't punish brakes as much as some other tracks, they are still important. This is one area that the Taycan has a clear advantage on a track.

My understanding is that Taycan has a different approach to braking that tends to lead with the brake peddle and quick to use the pads vs regen.

On the track, keeping the drive unit cool is important. Brake pads are disposable and on the track it makes sense to dump heat to the pads in preference to heating the drive unit via regen. It is an interesting choice that may help Taycan on the track but not so helpful off the track.

Tesla has sold 'thousands' of Model 3s in Australia, making it the best selling EV in the country - techAU

“..as one small team, are all working tirelessly to accommodate for the thousands of orders we have currently.”

I will not be surprised if September 2019 sets a record for Model 3 deliveries in Australia that stands for some time...

There is an initial backlog of demand and some indications they may have the cars here, delivering them is the challenge....

And the delivery team I work with is much less responsive than they were 2 weeks ago.

Having gone through the delivery adventure (hell is a bit too much IMHO) in Europe, this sounds familiar... Using the app or web site to track the car would be a huge improvement. However, I guess in quite a few cases they have to assign cars to other customers if one doesn´t pay soon enough or whatever, and in those cases people would be confused if the delivery process suddenly changed to another car/location/date. On the other hand, now people are mostly confused through the complete process :confused:...

It is kind of amazing that the Tesla mobile apps don’t send push notifications at each stage of the production and delivery process. Being such a technology-focused company, it’s pretty surprising this hasn’t made it up the priority list.

Instead, the relatively small team in charge of deliveries in Australia’s capital cities are clearly struggling to manage the time required to respond to an avalanche of emails and phone calls from customers seeking an update. All of this could be automated like it is for parcel tracking.

#Volkswagen #Northvolt #Gigafactory #Germany

Some significant news from the only serious European / Western competition. Volkswagen has finally decided to build a Gigafactory for cell production in Salzgitter, Germany. It will be a 50/50 JV with Northvolt, beginning production at the turn of 2023/2024 with an initial output of 16 GWh. They recently acquired a direct stake of 20% in Northvolt too.

Sources:
Volkswagen beteiligt sich an Northvolt AB | 12.06.19 [June!]
Volkswagen und Northvolt schließen Joint Venture für Batterieproduktion | 06.09.19 [Sept!]

It seems this is the second "Important Project of Common European Interest“ (IPCEI)" in battery cell manufacturing to be set up this year. Can't recall what the first one was. Good thing the US is leading in tweets about clean coal and buying faraway green lands to plunder [could not resist].

#Volkswagen #e-up!

Something else - the little, short-range VW e-up! just got a range upgrade from 160km [NEFZ] to 260 km {WLTP] combined with a price reduction. With the available subsidies, it would start at 17.595 Euros.

I've written earlier about my prediction that this should become a [maybe unexpectedly] successful vehicle in the company's EV lineup - aside from use as a second car, there are plenty of businesses and communal operations that will buy this as a metropolitan fleet vehicle. Judging by the e-Golf's position in sales charts, it's not much of a mental stretch.

Source: Neuer VW e-up! kostet ab 21.975 Euro, 260 km Reichweite - ecomento.de

Last edited:
Tesla has removed the $1500 cancellation fee for it solar rental. Seems very little reason not to get rooftop solar now if your electricity is more expensive than the rent.

Tesla has removed the $1500 cancellation fee for the Solar Rental : teslamotors
Tesla has removed the $1500 cancellation fee for the Solar Rental
renderTimingPixel.png

Just spoke with my energy advisor, Elon met with the team this morning and notified them. The website is updated and they are in the process of updating the contract.
Proof: Design Your Solar | Tesla "If you want your system removed to restore your roof to its previous condition, Tesla will remove the system at no cost to you"

#Volkswagen #Northvolt #Gigafactory #Germany

Some significant news from the only serious European / Western competition. Volkswagen has finally decided to build a Gigafactory for cell production in Salzgitter, Germany. It will be a 50/50 JV with Northvolt, beginning production at the turn of 2023/2024 with an initial output of 16 GWh. They recently acquired a direct stake of 20% in Northvolt too.

Sources:
Volkswagen beteiligt sich an Northvolt AB | 12.06.19 [June!]
Volkswagen und Northvolt schließen Joint Venture für Batterieproduktion | 06.09.19 [Sept!]

It seems this is the second "Important Project of Common European Interest“ (IPCEI)" in battery cell manufacturing to be set up this year. Can't recall what the first one was. Good thing the US is leading in tweets about clean coal and buying faraway green lands to plunder [could not resist].

#Volkswagen #e-up!

Something else - the little, short-range VW e-up! just got a range upgrade from 160km [NEFZ] to 260 km {WLTP] combined with a price reduction. With the available subsidies, it would start at 17.595 Euros.

I've written earlier about my prediction that this should become a [maybe unexpectedly] successful vehicle in the company's EV lineup - aside from use as a second car, there are plenty of businesses and communal operations that will buy this as a metropolitan fleet vehicle. Judging by the e-Golf's position in sales charts, it's not much of a mental stretch.

Source: Neuer VW e-up! kostet ab 21.975 Euro, 260 km Reichweite - ecomento.de

A 260km range EV for 17.5k euros sounds like a great EV entry for the mass market. I really hope Tesla is working on a smaller vehicle, lower “city range” type that they could retail for somewhere in the mid-20ks

My understanding is that Taycan has a different approach to braking that tends to lead with the brake peddle and quick to use the pads vs regen.

On the track, keeping the drive unit cool is important. Brake pads are disposable and on the track it makes sense to dump heat to the pads in preference to heating the drive unit via regen. It is an interesting choice that may help Taycan on the track but not so helpful off the track.
A 'track' version of the model S (and even the 3) could have much bigger brakes and an option to turn off regen. That might help the battery thermal management?

Brainstorming: What about making Model 3 Ludicrous for best track performance?

Won't happen. S has to be faster on the track to justify its higher price. 3 might have some better driving dynamics than S in some regards, but S needs to be getting better track times.

It will be a 50/50 JV with Northvolt, beginning production at the turn of 2023/2024 with an initial output of 16 GWh.

That's... rather pathetic, really. Their plan is to be 4 years behind Tesla?

Won't happen. S has to be faster on the track to justify its higher price. 3 might have some better driving dynamics than S in some regards, but S needs to be getting better track times.

That's... rather pathetic, really. Their plan is to be 4 years behind Tesla?
No I think their plan is to talk about their plan and hope this whole EV thing goes away.

Brainstorming: What about making Model 3 Ludicrous for best track performance?

Elon answered this question a long time ago.
Model 3 can’t have Ludicrous because the smaller Model 3 pack is incapable of producing the same power as the larger Model S pack.

For better acceleration (and incidentally braking and handling), lightening the vehicle is the way to go.

A commenter on Electrek had an explanation for why it doesn’t make sense for an automaker to provide a charging network. In part using the oil company/auto manufacturer paradigm that sprang up at the start of the 20th century. Writing my response made me think through all the advantages for Tesla and they really added up, so I thought I’d post it here. Would appreciate any feedback on mistakes or things I missed. In particular I’m not sure enough about point number 5.

The problem for the other auto manufacturers have, if they do not provide their own charging network, is that Tesla IS doing it. Ceding that advantage in the short run while waiting for some 3rd party company to build an extensive network of fast and cheap chargers, just ends up ceding more and more marketshare to Tesla over that period.

Tesla also has the following advantages (in no particular order) over another EV charging provider (E.g. Ionity):
1) They can work directly with vehicle engineers and product planners to coordinate features and future upgradability. E.g. They already integrate the payment, navigation, charge door opening and pack conditioning with the app/car and this can extend to future functionality as well (automated charging...).
2) They can use Megapacks to minimize high electricity demand charges.
3) They have an early lead.
4) Brand recognition
5) Expertise and economies of scale for those components that are used in both the charger and the vehicle. E.g, converters/inverters.
6) They don’t need the charging stations to run at a profit. They can even operate at a loss, if necessary, to gain more marketshare.

Last edited:
I do believe that Diess really wants to go electric. But he's hobbled by the company's current infrastructure, investor expectations, and a board who's not as enthusiastic as he is.
I agree. It must be hard to see the light and realize it is a train coming right at you. And have the rest of the company fight you as you try and get off the tracks.

The whole culture of the company h(any car company)has to change. That is why I believe Tesla is so far ahead.

Edit to say see post above as proof.