Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All good points.

I'll add:
  • Tesla superchargers are restricted to high charge rate vehicles. Capacity at open networks will often be clogged up by slow charging vehicles.
  • Superchargers also double as a marketing investment and are likely much more effective and better value than billboards. Solar + Supercharger stations are also a good visual counter to the EVs are powered by dirty electricity FUD.
  • Tesla can potentially use Supercharger + Solar + Megapack locations to test its virtual electricity grid software and capabilities.
  • Virtual integration of the car and charging equipments likely maximises energy efficiency and charging capability.
  • It allows a very flexible use of free supercharging as a short term demand lever with very little short term cashflow impact.
I really think it's worth Tesla going all out and investing in a dramatic expansion of its network, to 2-3x the current locations as quickly as possible. Maybe this is already what they plan once they have ramped up production of V3 hardware at GF2.

Has anyone kept track of how many V3 chargers have now been opened? And also if Tesla has built any more of its solar supercharger stations?
In the U.S. you can also add:
  • Integrated payment management with the car so there is never challenges with payment/authorization for the user (sort of covered by @kbM3's bullet 1, but it doesn't emphasis the strong advantages with effortless always-reliable authorization)
  • Use a superior connector that is easier to handle/operate
They can't do this last one in Europe because it's mandated (by law) that an inferior connector be used.

Reactions: Lessmog and kbM3
in case anyone is wondering.. www.taycant.com is avail on go daddy..

I know I know. don't be petty. ahh screw it.. LFG Tesla!!!
I did it. I did it. My very first website

A97F137A-0C3C-41CC-80CD-FD65ED5B0684.jpeg

Once patented, other car makers can use it without any license fees. That was part of Tesla's "open source patents" (aka All Our Patents are belong to you).

A few issues with that:
  1. It isn't all patents, it is a specific list of patents.
  2. It seems to be limited for use on electric vehicles: "Tesla irrevocably pledges that it will not initiate a lawsuit against any party for infringing a Tesla Patent through activity relating to electric vehicles or related equipment for so long as such party is acting in good faith" So don't going putting those on your ICE.
  3. And then there is the poison pill: "A party is "acting in good faith" for so long as such party and its related or affiliated companies have not: asserted, helped others assert or had a financial stake in any assertion of (i) any patent or other intellectual property right against Tesla or (ii) any patent right against a third party for its use of technologies relating to electric vehicles or related equipment; "

I think you are mistaken. Tesla pledged not to go after companies that use their patents as long as they did not go after Tesla for similar reasons. Ever.

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

From above, if they use even one of shared Tesla's patents not only can they not go after Tesla for using any of theirs, but they can't go against any other company for using their patents relating to electric vehicles.

In other words nobody that has any "valuable" patents is going to use any of Tesla's shared patents.

LOL

I want to make a short picture story. A girl named Tay bought a Taycan and we’ll get to explain what Tay can’t do.

Tay can’t use over 12,000 superchargers
Tay can’t autopilot/FSD
Tay can’t use fart mode to prank people, and instead has to generate her own farts from processed foods (how inefficient!)

And more!

Then in a parallel universe, Tay bought a Model S and is much happier. Kind of like a Mac vs PC ad. Hmm, the possibilities

That’s a pretty big assumption. Do you really think they went through all the trouble of planning this, prepping a car, testing it, shipping it, timing it right with the Taycan reveal, just to find out at the last moment that they had to book a spot? And only because ‘Elon wasn’t quite up on’ how this works? You do know they are not building toasting irons in Freemont, but the best car in the world?

Whoa whoa. Slow down oddly aggressive moderator. I’m full on Tesla and Elon fan boy to the max. However, the fact that the Ring isn’t aware of any time scheduled is an issue. I’ve been to the Ring many many times. I know how this works. There are only certain days for these things and they get scheduled quickly. Hopefully the spokesperson was just stupid but I’m just saying it doesn’t look good. I’d be very happy to be proven wrong this week.

But why bother shipping a car half way around the world?!?!? They could just as easily done this on a German Model S. We’ll see.....
It's possible there's nothing more special about this car other than that it's already been shaken out on the company track or some other place stateside. I would certainly hope that Tesla would leave nothing to chance in what seems to be turning into a nice little media spectacle. Makes perfect sense to me that they would bring a well-tested car over, and accompanied by a team of techs as well as a few security types. I don't think you can infer that the car is "enhanced" just because it's getting special handling.

Whoa whoa. Slow down oddly aggressive moderator. I’m full on Tesla and Elon fan boy to the max. However, the fact that the Ring isn’t aware of any time scheduled is an issue. I’ve been to the Ring many many times. I know how this works. There are only certain days for these things and they get scheduled quickly. Hopefully the spokesperson was just stupid but I’m just saying it doesn’t look good. I’d be very happy to be proven wrong this week.
Imagine the Tesla just show up in one of the public days, taking time to pass all the Porsches on the track, one after another, and still set a 4 door EV record...

Is the industry pool that restrictive? Couldn't somebody like Michelin get them in for testing on the Nurburgring?

Thank-you. This is a really, really important paper from the labratory of Dr. Jeff Dahn at Dalhousie University in Halifax.

J. Harlow et.al (2019), "A Wide Range of Testing Results on an Excellent Lithium-Ion CellChemistry to be used as Benchmarks for New Battery Technologies", J. Electrochemical Society​

This battery chemistry research will be central to the success of Tesla's future products. And this article is OPEN-ACCESS** (download it for free and without registration from the link below):

Abstract:

"We present a wide range of testing results on an excellent moderate-energy-density lithium-ion pouch cell chemistry to serve as benchmarks for academics and companies developing advanced lithium-ion and other "beyond lithium-ion" cell chemistries to (hopefully) exceed. These results are far superior to those that have been used by researchers modelling cell failure mechanisms and as such, these results are more representative of modern Li-ion cells and should be adopted by modellers. Up to three years of testing has been completed for some of the tests. Tests include long-term charge-discharge cycling at 20, 40 and 55°C, long-term storage at 20, 40 and 55°C, and high precision coulometry at 40°C.

"Several different electrolytes are considered in this LiNi0.5Mn0.3Co0.2O2/graphite chemistry, including those that can promote fast charging. The reasons for cell performance degradation and impedance growth are examined using several methods. We conclude that cells of this type should be able to power an electric vehicle for over 1.6 million kilometers (1 million miles) and last at least two decades in grid energy storage. The authors acknowledge that other cell format-dependent loss, if any, (e.g. cylindrical vs. pouch) may not be captured in these experiments."

© The Author(s) 2019. Published by ECS. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons**

Attribution 4.0 License (CC BY, Creative Commons — Attribution 4.0 International — CC BY 4.0), which permits unrestricted reuse of the work in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

[DOI: 10.1149/2.0981913jes]

Manuscript submitted July 30, 2019; revised manuscript received August 16, 2019. Published September 6, 2019.​

MOST of the energy recovered by regen braking should be used to compress air (as the battery pack can not accept a 6C recharge rate or 1,200 KW of regen, and almost no regen power at all when the battery is at a high SOC near the start)
An electric compressor can use energy beyond what the pack can absorb.

the car will NOT be wired to distribute 1+ megawatt of electrical power on regen (look at the gauge 0 wIres required for just 250 KW supercharging). That power should be transfered mechanically via an accessory compressor tied to the shaft of each of the 3 SRPM motors (or possibly 1 per axle; Semi will have this)
The car will be build to provide X power to the motors, doubtful that the inverters would be oversized to provide more energy in regen than drive. 5k lbs 0-70 in 2 seconds hits 1 MW.
Semi does not need the SpaceX package.

system pressure will be buffered by a central COPV but the intention is to expend most of the HP air at the nozzles instantly while under braking
I think intertion is for maneuvering (cornering) also.

most of the HP air generated under regen should be used immediately to augment braking, as follows:
  • downward thrust at each corner to increase traction (think anti-lock)
retro thrust from fwd-facing nozzles has a minor effect for the cost; nix

If force is nix, then additional traction via downforce is nix*mu. You need mu>1 to make downforce a better choice.
As to location, he previous tweeted 10 spread around the car last year, but more recently:
Twitter
"SpaceX thruster package will be subtle. Hidden behind license plate.
3:21 PM · Jul 13, 2019·Twitter for iPhone"
Could blend the two, if hovering is still in play.

this HP air will be sourced from the COPV exclusively since no regen while accelerating; top speed bursts will be very brief due to supply of HP air
Unless the compressor has its own motor like Elon Tweeted.
Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005785859558273024?lang=en
"Note, gas contained would be ultra high pressure air in a SpaceX rocket COPV bottle. The air exiting the thrusters would immediately be replenished whenever vehicle pack power draw allowed operation of the air pump, which is most of the time."

It's a different approach, but I wouldn't say "quick to use the pads".

Tesla:
Accelerator pedal lift = up to 60 kW regen
Brake pedal press = 100% friction (but see below)

Porsche:
Accelerator pedal lift = zero regen (pure coasting, but see below)
Brake pedal press = up to 265 kW regen, blended with friction brakes if you press hard enough

I've read Taycan has a setting to enable regen upon accelerator pedal lift. It would be easy enough to implement if they wanted. In a similar vein, Tesla's Bosch iBooster system is able to combine regen and friction. Some say Tesla already uses iBooster this way, but most disagree. Either way, they certainly could implement it if they wanted.

Bottom line - both systems are able to operate the same way. The two companies made different software implementation choices. Each could change their software if desired.

Yeppers!
Regen (full accelerator lift) + braking.
Could add more regen too.

I don't know why people keep saying that Tesla doesn't use regen when using the brake pedal. According to the UI in my Model 3 (and the obvious difference in braking performance when battery is cold), applying the brakes doesn't cause regen to cut out, it keeps going at whatever rate it is able to obtain in addition to the friction brakes being applied. That's not to say it has regen "on" the brake pedal, rather that regen will be at whatever the maximum available is (accounting for temp, speed, creep mode, etc) whenever the accelerator is at rest - and the brake pedal will have no effect on this, it is a separate control entirely.

But if I understand (read) correctly it will be a pouch cell. So goodbye to the cylindrical cell?
That's just a convenient way to test the chemistry. Much simply to assemble a test cell for the lab in pouch (or even coin cell) format. But moving into production, Tesla/Grohmann is more than capable of 'rolling their own'. Will doubtless depend upon the Maxwell Technologies IP as well to improve the production process.

Cheers!

While we could be wrong, I also think this may indicate something special about the Model S.

If it is just a few minor tweaks and software, they could do it on a European Performance Raven from inventory, they would have been able to arrange a test track and further fine tuning...

The counter argument is it took weeks or months to set the car up "just right", and they are not confident of emulating that "just right" on a Performance Raven .. I find that hard to believe...

But the other likely alternative is they shipped the "just right" car to save time and money, the cost of shipping may have been less than the costs of setting a 2nd car up...

So either way not conclusive, but my hunch is 61% special, 39% Raven with minor mods.
Yes, I suspect this is the very same prototype that Tesla was testing in the Mojave dessert several months ago. You know, the cooling tests in 110F+ heat?

Cheers!

I don't know why people keep saying that Tesla doesn't use regen when using the brake pedal. According to the UI in my Model 3 (and the obvious difference in braking performance when battery is cold), applying the brakes doesn't cause regen to cut out, it keeps going at whatever rate it is able to obtain in addition to the friction brakes being applied. That's not to say it has regen "on" the brake pedal, rather that regen will be at whatever the maximum available is (accounting for temp, speed, creep mode, etc) whenever the accelerator is at rest - and the brake pedal will have no effect on this, it is a separate control entirely.

You’re correct. Having regen cut out like that would actually be really dangerous. If you went to tap on the brake, that’d actually make it stop decelerating, potentially causing a crash.