Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are dozens of threads on this topic. And dozens of times the issue has come up here. Even a thread spun off specifically of this thread specifically to that topic. Over and over, people keep talking about the "imminent" switch to 2170s, and have been ever since Tesla introduced 2170s. And each time I try to calmly explain why such a thing isn't going to happen every time soon, and every time the reaction is (paraphrasing) "NO OMG 2170s ARE SO AWESOME THEY HAVE TO SWITCH!"

Once people get the notion that something is "the future" stuck in their head, the concept of anything else continuing to be used seems incomprehensible to them and it drowns out all counterarguments.
What's your estimate how long it would take for Tesla to switch to 2170? Or, when would be the optimal time for them to release such version? Announce right after a competitor finally release a competitive product for mass production?

We already know with the model 3 pack level energy density model s would get roughly 420mile range...

THIS I think is a genius move... trade-in/lease return as normal model, resell as performance. dampens/changes the entire residual value game

I don't think you can do this--I believe the Performance models have different HW. But, Tesla could take in a standard model and re-sell it as an extended range model.

In theory you're gaining opex efficiency from simplified inventory and logistics and presumably more efficient assembly--must offset the Capex of the cells. It would also seem to indicate they sold more 100 kWh packs than 75 kWh packs.

Kinda OT, but anyone know how long Tesla's commitment is to buy 18650 cells from Panasonic?
I suspect that there is also an offset in the cost of the warranty. As software limited range helps avoid excess stress on physical battery and it increases the chance that physical range will exceed 80% of original software limited range. Both of these make the warranty cost lower than the extended range.

I think we need to broaden our perspective a little bit and see the move not only from a marginal cost or MS/MX margin perspective, but also what this move means in terms of freed-up capacity to potentially make more M3's, or start sooner/ramp faster with MY, or allow for a retooling for a later refresh or or or.... I think we're currently only seeing half of the story here.

Absolutely. Having the line down at night means they can retool. Either for improved margins, or - perhaps most interestingly - work to merge the S body onto the (more modern) X line, so they can retool the (very space-consuming) S line for the Y. No guarantees of course.

In the mean time, hey, more stamping and paint shop time for the Model 3 :)

I don't think you can do this--I believe the Performance models have different HW. But, Tesla could take in a standard model and re-sell it as an extended range model.

seems that this changed,
Same goes for Model S and X Performance wanting the Ludicrous Mode, which used to be a hardware upgrade but it now looks like Tesla is making standard and software-locked on the performance versions.

There are dozens of threads on this topic. And dozens of times the issue has come up here. Even a thread spun off specifically of this thread specifically to that topic. Over and over, people keep talking about the "imminent" switch to 2170s, and have been ever since Tesla introduced 2170s. And each time I try to calmly explain why such a thing isn't going to happen every time soon, and every time the reaction is (paraphrasing) "NO OMG 2170s ARE SO AWESOME THEY HAVE TO SWITCH!" The most recent time being just a week ago when the 75D was killed. Surely, THIS TIME it was a prelude to the imminent introduction of a 2170 pack! Over and over that was asserted.... surely, no other explanation!

Once people get the notion that something is "the future" stuck in their head, the concept of anything else continuing to be used seems incomprehensible to them and it drowns out all counterarguments.

My focus in on leveraging operations, not "NO OMG 2170s ARE SO AWESOME THEY HAVE TO SWITCH!"

I'm thinking more about impacts on operating efficiencies, leveraging supplies and materials, increasing production through the Grohman lines while reducing costs per pack over the 18650 packs/cells. All of this would increase the top and bottom line for Tesla on future earnings.

What's your estimate how long it would take for Tesla to switch to 2170? Or, when would be the optimal time for them to release such version? Announce right after a competitor finally release a competitive product for mass production?

We already know with the model 3 pack level energy density model s would get roughly 420mile range...

No sooner than absolutely necessary. The 18650s are perfectly functional, and the cost/range benefits of the switch are not worth the huge capital investment in new cell and pack lines (to say nothing of any reengineering of the vehicles or their production lines to use them - and do recall that packs are structural elements that affect crash forces, as well as being potential fire hazards), when capital investments in other things (to pick one example among many, Model Y) have a much more dramatic return.

A far more rapid, low-capital turnaround for giving S/X better stats, for example, would be to switch one motor to a Model 3-based drive unit, which would up range (due to the greater efficiency), charge rates (in terms of mph/kph), lower costs (the Model 3 drive unit line is arguably Tesla's most efficient, automated, scalable line of anything that they do), sustained track performance, etc.

People don't want to hear this. They want to pretend that capital is infinite. It's not. Yes, there is "a" financial return for switching from 18650s to 2170s. But it's not the best return for their (very much finite) money. There's nothing wrong with the 18650s. They work great. They have a great chemistry. Yeah, you can get somewhat more energy into a 2170 pack and yeah they can make them somewhat cheaper. But just because something can be "better" in some regards (although note: worse in others, such as surface area / cooling potential, for the same internal cooling design) doesn't make it the best return for your capital investment.

Last edited:
I'm thinking more about impacts on operating efficiencies, leveraging supplies and materials, increasing production through the Grohman lines while reducing costs per pack over the 18650 packs/cells. All of this would increase the top and bottom line for Tesla on future earnings.

But given the difference in battery form factors, there is a decent chance the change would mean re-designing the pack, the frame and perhaps having to re-crash test the whole thing. I'd have to wonder if all that is worth the effort given no clear upside and a probably full refresh on the horizon. I would also imagine there is some commitment to Panasonic that Tesla needs to fulfill, so it doesn't see worthwhile making any change until they are out form under that.

GREEN!
(am I doing this right? Alright, alright I show myself to the door...)

ishihara2.png

As it states, no hardware change between Performance and Ludicrous, these both share the large rear motor, where the standard and extended range use the smaller rear motor.

There's probably different warranty reserves for the Ludicrous though: i.e. instead of setting aside $5k for future warranty repairs of the drive train they'll be setting aside $8k.

This means that even if the hardware is 100% identical, they can push the Ludicrous harder, for a higher allowable failure rate and still have a good margin.