Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parking spots in new apartment houses should be required to have charging infrastructure, 400 or 240v. Should be part of the building permit process.

This would not only be good for aspirational EV owners, but also grid loading balance once EV batteries are good enough to serve as grid buffers.

It’s the law in Seattle

Thanks, very good info.

Have an issue with regulations about noise makers being added to EVs? This looks like your chance to have your voice heard. Some sample points that could be made:
  • Drivers should be able to pick their sounds, and number of sound choices shouldn't be limited (this is the main thing they're seeking feedback on)
  • The same rules should be applied to quiet ICEs, not just EVs; there's no logic to EVs having noisemakers but not quiet ICEs.
  • The presence of sound should be able to be contingent on pedestrian detection, and disabled if no pedestrians are nearby.
  • Directional sound should be allowed, to limit noise pollution.
The point that needs to be #1, front and center, is #2 (shouldn't exempt quiet cars simply because they run on gasoline). Manufacturers of ICE cars should be required to do sound testing at slow speeds to determine if it needs additional noisemaking.

I don't find #3 useful. Making the noisemaker dependent upon pedestrian detection doesn't address the problem with noisemakers. I don't want to cause increased noise levels in quiet areas (especially when others are present to hear it). This is the primary reason I am opposed to noisemakers (they increase the amount of environmental noise heard by others).

#1 doesn't fix the primary problem either. Having the driver able to customize the sound their car makes might personalize the noise a bit more but some people are bound to choose really obnoxious sounds and I don't want to be a pedestrian where that's occurring.

I think submitted comments will be most powerful if they don't even mention you are an EV driver. Comments should come from the perspective of pedestrians and residents who want quiet neighborhoods, quiet streetside cafes and bistros and quiet parks and places to walk (even if there are some slow-moving cars around). Adding noisemakers removes one of the most pleasant societal benefits of EV's (they are naturally quiet). Pedestrian safety should be handled by normal driver/pedestrian awareness and the ever-increasing presence of Auto Emergency Braking which is quite effective at the speeds contemplated for noisemakers. This amounts to a disincentive to the transition to cleaner vehicles.

This 7:2X lap time, if replicated officially, is gonna be a PR monster. Confirmation that even Porsche can't match the performance of Tesla's 7 passenger sedan.....let alone scale a manufacturing facility.

That's a bigger deal than it sounds. Nearly anyone should be able to create a one-off vehicle that nearly matches Tesla performance. That was always my assumption anyway. Building and executing on Gigafactories was the tough part and big advantage in my mind.

The idea that Porsche can't even touch Elon with a prototype is shocking.

Drag at high speeds is a primary limit though, costing ~250 kW at 300 km/h. So 3.5% more drag means +9 kW more is used, which alone is more than the cooling capacity of the Model 3 compressor...

I'll fact check this on another point.

The cooling capacity of a refrigeration unit is not equal to its current draw. The cooling achieved can exceed the power requirements of the refrigeration unit by a factor of 6 or more depending upon environmental factors such as the temperature differential between ambient air and the (in this case) glycol, the speed at which the ambient air is moving over the heat exchanger, the speed at which the glycol is moving over the heat exchanger, the humidity of the ambient air. The design of the refrigeration unit is a big variable as well.

In other words, I don't doubt that the A/C can remove more than 9 kW of heat energy from the system even though it only consumes a fraction of that in power. This is due to the magic of the heat of vaporization of the refrigerant that the unit takes advantage of to achieve more efficient cooling. Since Tesla doesn't publish detailed test results, we have little idea how much heat capacity the A/C has (only what it's electrical consumption is).

Thanks!! I added a calendar event to write a letter this evening.

We took delivery on a M3 for my wife on Friday, beautiful car. I am a bit sad that since it was manufactured after Sep 1 it has the noisemakers, unlike my completely silent 2018 MS. Wouldn’t be so bad if ICE were treated the same, and I smell a rat of ICE manufacturers helping to create EV-specific annoyances to slow adoption. But, maybe I am just paranoid and it is sloppy legislation written by folks not paying attention, which would be nothing new.

Anyhow, having said that, I think the way Tesla has implemented this mandated feature is pretty nice. The forward and backup sounds are different (was that mandated?). The backup sound is a high tech spacey kind of noise that changes pitch with movement speed, and the front movement sound is much quieter and sort of a while noise airy sound. I am assuming that a software update can adapt these sounds quickly if and when the regulations change.
I want mine to sound like KITT, both forward and reverse. If any EV lets you pick the sound it will be Tesla.

Anyone not paying attention to climate change is part of the problem.

Anyone so ignorant of the climate problem not to know know renewable energy and EV are key solutions is part of the problem.

There is no excuse for inattention and ignorance. Indeed, climate activists have been working for decades to "educate" people. But supplying information will never educated the willfully obtuse.
Are you trying to imply that Dorian was not going to hit Alabama? Educate away, lets see when OI picks up on it.

Because I was lazy and didn't want to calculate and type out 7164 gallons with 1.046 mpg. It's actually more interesting to me now. That is terrible mpg.
Actually not that bad:
  1. actually its closer to 20 miles/gal/seat when loaded
  2. the alternative is a 2 week ship passage
  3. how much food does your crew+pax eat in 2 wks?
  4. what's the carbon footprint to grow/transport that food?
Wurst downside I can see for Elon/Tesla? The G650ER uses BMW engines. :p

Cheers!

The point that needs to be #1, front and center, is #2 (shouldn't exempt quiet cars simply because they run on gasoline). Manufacturers of ICE cars should be required to do sound testing at slow speeds to determine if it needs additional noisemaking.

I don't find #3 useful. Making the noisemaker dependent upon pedestrian detection doesn't address the problem with noisemakers. I don't want to cause increased noise levels in quiet areas (especially when others are present to hear it). This is the primary reason I am opposed to noisemakers (they increase the amount of environmental noise heard by others).

#1 doesn't fix the primary problem either. Having the driver able to customize the sound their car makes might personalize the noise a bit more but some people are bound to choose really obnoxious sounds and I don't want to be a pedestrian where that's occurring.

I think submitted comments will be most powerful if they don't even mention you are an EV driver. Comments should come from the perspective of pedestrians and residents who want quiet neighborhoods, quiet streetside cafes and bistros and quiet parks and places to walk (even if there are some slow-moving cars around). Adding noisemakers removes one of the most pleasant societal benefits of EV's (they are naturally quiet). Pedestrian safety should be handled by normal driver/pedestrian awareness and the ever-increasing presence of Auto Emergency Braking which is quite effective at the speeds contemplated for noisemakers. This amounts to a disincentive to the transition to cleaner vehicles.
Just let it have a switch like lights. That way you can use it when “things get real in the whole foods parking lot”.

Be a shame if that apparently easily accessible speaker under the front bottom cowling got accidentally disconnected somehow....

I will keep it for now, if nothing else as a reminder of how good intentions can go wrong, especially when they are hijacked by those with ill intentions (no proof, just an educated guess - anyone know?).

Also I am looking forward to the “fart on backup” feature.

Are you trying to imply that Dorian was not going to hit Alabama? Educate away, lets see when OI picks up on it.
I think you are trying to make a joke here. Atlanta had to turn away Alabama trumpers fleeing the black Sharpie of Dorian. Atlanta was full up and couldn't take anymore of that type. /s

But for those who might otherwise misunderstand my original point...

I'm saying you can't educate people who don't reqlly want to want to be educated. Willful obtuseness is a real problem for addressing climate change.

Last edited:
View attachment 455790

(The car was on the Mission E design wheels)

The problem is that you are looking at the Turbo instead of the Turbo S. (The record was "set" with the Turbo S wasn't it?) And the options are different. For example the Turbo S comes with the Mission E wheels with summer rubber by default.

Last edited: