Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon just confirmed that the Plaid Model S did beat the Taycan time at the Nürburgring and the production model planned for autumn 2020 will do even better.

Also interesting that the Model 3 Performance will beat the Taycan on more laps which confirms it to have more range.

Thats quite an embarrassment for Porsche. There is no exclusivity any more for having one and 3 time the price is no justified at all.

Latest at this point in time Porsche Management needs to acknowledge they lost for now and my prediction is it won't get better. Time to have some panic IMO.

Hard times ahead.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I’m not one of them. But some people just like to own expensive things. Luxury clothing brands and expensive wine as examples. There’s really nothing that justifies the price for either but branding/style. It’s not engineering for everyone.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
If that was true, units would not have internet ports. Every landlord knows he/she gets a better rental providing the services tenants expect.

If govt wants to get involved, they should tax-break installation of workplace charging. The win is bigger, because the cars then get charged with “duck curve”, essentially free, solar.

Edit: Robotaxis render this discussion largely moot.
Exactly! Problem solved.

Also... how do I schedule a 6 PM pickup this evening?

EDIT- Also... Isn't there a thread for charging?

Last edited:
Here's another source I saw describing the Plaid's run. An excerpt:

"This unofficial time was set during Industry Pool lapping sessions, where dozens of manufacturer prototype vehicles ranging from diesel crossovers to fire-breathing supercars all share the track at the same time.

Nurburgring organizers forbid automakers from timing their own laps during Industry Pool sessions, and drivers are required to enter and exit the track from the pit area at Turn 13, making a complete flying lap impossible. So, given the traffic and the restrictions of Industry Pool testing, we feel certain that the highly-modified Tesla could be capable of an even faster lap time on an empty track during an official timed session. Our eyewitness did note that weather conditions were ideal during the lapping session, with temperatures around 64 degrees F and heavy cloud cover.

Still, that's mighty fast. Our eyewitness described the Tesla prototypes popping out to overtake 500- and 600-horsepower supercars during the Industry Pool lapping sessions."
Seems rather exciting to me.

Question for you guys. Why would Elon announce now that a new Model S is coming in October of 2020? How does that make strategic sense?

Not a new Model S - a new Model S Plaid - ie the new top performance model.

Well that is how I read it:

It’s a start. We expect these track times to be beaten by the actual production 7 seat Model S Plaid variant that goes into production around Oct/Nov next year.​

Question for you guys. Why would Elon announce now that a new Model S is coming in October of 2020? How does that make strategic sense?

Obviously to blunt and Osborne Porsche's Taycan Turbo S launch. It'll be harder for auto magazines to tout it as the fastest EV ever when everyone knows the Plaid Model S is going to demolish it in every measurable metric (and the magazines reviewing the Taycan Turbo S will now all mention the Plaid Tesla), and harder for rich people to pull the trigger on something that'll only be the *second* fastest EV, whether they intend to race it or simply drive it to work. Second place has only a tiny fraction of the prestige as first place.

Last edited:
Thats quite an embarrassment for Porsche. There is no exclusivity any more for having one and 3 time the price is no justified at all.

Personally I do not think this should be an embarrassment for Porsche. This is their first EV and their next will surely be better. Key positive is that it will stop the media from hyping this as a negative toward Tesla.

Hopefully, the narrative will shift from Tesla vs other EVs to EVs vs ICE. The Taycan will sell their fair share of vehicles simply to their fans and others who simply do not want a Tesla. We should be happy that they are helping to expand the EV market.

I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see the Model S time. Great marketing for Tesla.

Wouldn’t be so bad if ICE were treated the same, and I smell a rat of ICE manufacturers helping to create EV-specific annoyances to slow adoption. But, maybe I am just paranoid and it is sloppy legislation written by folks not paying attention, which would be nothing new.

It’s a little of both. The ICE lobby that would push back on this if it were applied to ICE cars is huge, while the EV lobby is almost nonexistent. EVs are an easy target. Same reasoning applies to those new EV-only road taxes we see popping up lately.

Elon just confirmed that the Plaid Model S did beat the Taycan time at the Nürburgring and the production model planned for autumn 2020 will do even better.

Also interesting that the Model 3 Performance will beat the Taycan on more laps which confirms it to have more range.

Latest at this point in time Porsche Management needs to acknowledge they lost for now and my prediction is it won't get better. Time to have some panic IMO.

Hard times ahead.

Elon Musk on Twitter

It's exciting to see the the plaid variant doing well. I'm much more interested in the times for the current S though.

I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see the Model S time. Great marketing for Tesla.

i agree it's a great marketing move by Tesla, and the time is phenomenal considering that it was done while other manufacturers were lapping at the same time. However, I think when this was first announced, we all assumed it was going to be the Raven out there. So it's a bit of a bummer that we still don't know what a Raven can do on the Ring.

A person calling himself Ed Niedermeyer apparently created that account to write the following TMC message to me, approximately 10 months ago, with various ways to contact him:

"Niedermeyer, Oct 26, 2018

Are you Elon Musk?

Hey Fact Checking, I'm a reporter for Automotive News. Sorry to bother you here, but I didn't know how else to reach you.

I couldn't help but notice that a lot of people in the Market Action thread think you are Elon Musk and you haven't really denied it. I've also read through a lot of your posts, and I totally see why people think you are Elon. In fact, it's pretty tough to imagine who else you might be. And it's not just me... my editors find the evidence convincing enough to have asked me to write a story about the situation.

So I pretty much have to just blurt it out: are you Elon Musk? More specifically, does Elon Musk or anyone who works for him directly or indirectly post from the "Fact Checking" account?

If I have the wrong end of the stick here and the answer to both of the above questions is "no," I have no interest in doxxing a non-public-figure. If there is no public news interest in the identity of the person or people behind the "Fact Checking" account and you can prove it, I would keep any personally-identifying information you share confidential. That said, I do need some kind of evidence one way or another.

If you are not Elon I think the best way to proceed would be for you to give me a call or text at five four one five two zero five six two two (Signal or Whatsapp are fine if you prefer), or drop me an email at edward.niedermeyer [at] gmail [dot] com and/or eniedermeyer [at] crain [dot] com.

If you are Elon, it should be super easy to prove. You could call me, email me from a Tesla or SpaceX account or even just tweet something about Vienna so I know this is you.

Thanks in advance for getting back to me about this.

Ed Niedermeyer"​

(I never tried to call or text the (+1)-5415205622 number, or tried to contact the [email protected] or [email protected] email addresses to verify whether that's Edward Niedermeyer or not, so these might just be fake and part of an elaborate prank.)

So this message is why someone claiming to be the "Tesla Deathwatch" guy has an account on TMC apparently, and no, I'm not Elon, nor connected to him in any direct or indirect fashion. :D

I'm really curious how Niedermeyer is going to explain his past views about Tesla in a couple of years, should Tesla reach 1 trillion dollars in market valuation.

I'm Elon Musk. ;)

Actually when it approached 254, it was pretty obvious in red hot zone. This is not a hindsight armchair analysis, you might check out my post in the Technical Analysis thread before the drop. But of course, everyone and his cat were highly enthusiastic back then...

Right now the probability to go higher is very good, with careful longs, and shorts trying to keep the pressure in the boiler. Some interesting chart formation are forming, and the major downtrend exhausted and reversed beginning of June.

In all fairness to me, I loaded up at mid 245 on the way back down...not at 254. My take was that the highs would be retested in short order. But TSLA not a regular stock, even as far as volatiles are concerned. Those time values will get you on the short term options. And of course, three days later.....

This article shows some of the inefficiencies of the Model S pack vs. the Model 3 pack. Plus Model 3 pack contains items not in Model S.
What Makes The Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack So Light?
Your link says the Model 3 LR pack is "6% lighter than Tesla’s most advanced battery in the P100D*" on a kWh/kg basis. This gives us Model S 100 kWh pack of:
100 kWh * (480 kg / 78 kWh) * 1.06 = 652 kg

But note the asterisk:
*P100D and Model S85 pack weights adjusted upwards to include AC charger and DC-DC converter since M3 pack weight includes those items.

I don't know how much weight they added for those two boxes, maybe 25 kg? So call it ~625 kg for Model S 100 kWh pack.
Model S 100 modules total 480 kg according to @wk057 ‘s site 85-type | Battery Modules | Products | HSR Motors
So all of the pack overhead only has to come to 310 kg. The case is 124 kg, leaving 186 kg for all electronics, wiring, cooling...
186 kg is an order of magnitude too much. The cooling tubes are already counted in the module weight. Watch a S/X pack teardown video - once you lift the modules out all that's left is the structure itself and a few kg of plastic and circuit boards. Wiring weighs a few kg, not 180+ kg.
I don’t believe Jack Rickard would have made a mistake in his teardown.
I don't know where your 129 Wh/kg number originated. It might be a misprint or something. Or Jack may have misspoke (it happens).

There 6% difference InsideEVs quoted is almost entirely due to the Model 3 pack's lack of structural side rails. Moving structural weight from the pack to the car body doesn't materially save weight, it just puts it in a different place.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba and kbM3
#1 doesn't fix the primary problem either. Having the driver able to customize the sound their car makes might personalize the noise a bit more but some people are bound to choose really obnoxious sounds and I don't want to be a pedestrian where that's occurring.

But but but....

Ether a sound of purpetual flatulence... Or integrate the vision system and having the car call out the Death Race 2000 point value for each pedestrian could be so amussing.

Hmm, that sounds like me! While most poor people were born into poverty that they can't get out of, I became poor via a pattern of poor choices of buying TSLAs at the highest stock price with most of my assets. Ouch!

Welcome to the club. I've faced poverty 4 times in my life. Got pretty efficient at it. Still practice some of the skills from time to time so I don't get rusty. Hopefully this will be the last time Tesla makes members of TMC feel poorer.

"when it's can be done". There is no strategic sense in his announcements. He is looking for possibilities and challenges his team to realize them in the shortest time possible.

Considering demand pressure and relative simplicity of the required changes I would say that in the october 2020 plaid Teslas will be sold in California.

Reactions: aubreymcfato