Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll probably be banned (again) for this note, but, it needs to be said...
I keep reading note after note, all about "this" battery cell type, or that cell type, or about different battery capacities of the various Model S versions... And that's all fine...

But in several weeks, not one person has mentioned, or even considered, the absolutely ~stunning~ drop in US sales/deliveries, as of Jan 1st... As an investor, I'd think ~that~ would be the most note-worthy event of anything...
And not one word about it...

Then short it. If you dare...

Yep, super concerned. *yawn*

Yawn away, Sir.... Suit yourself...

But spend a minute going through this thread... It's really done quite well... And humorous to boot!!
But just one example of lot(s) full of Model 3's.... There are plenty more... This thread is certainly the most amusing though.. ;-)

CrowPointPartners on Twitter

Don’t be silly. You’d add proportional range to both and keep the names the same (as battery technology got better).

So now when you buy a 2019 Extended Range Model S how do you know if you are getting the 335 mile range version that they made up until 6/25/2019 or the 370 mile range version that they started making on 6/26/2019? (Just making up some data points as an example.) It just doesn't fit with the way Tesla does things.

What will that do to used car values when you have to know the build date to know how to price the car?

I just don't see that working.

Reactions: lklundin
Expect a Ludicrous Model 3 Performance to fit nicely in between the S and the Model 3P.

Not sure - the Model 3 Performance is already beating everything in its category - and I think they'd want to keep some price separation between the Model 3 and the Model S.

Plus they'd want to maintain the 'Ludicrous' brand for their $132k+ models. :D

There are dozens of threads on this topic. And dozens of times the issue has come up here. Even a thread spun off specifically of this thread specifically to that topic. Over and over, people keep talking about the "imminent" switch to 2170s, and have been ever since Tesla introduced 2170s. And each time I try to calmly explain why such a thing isn't going to happen every time soon, and every time the reaction is (paraphrasing) "NO OMG 2170s ARE SO AWESOME THEY HAVE TO SWITCH!" The most recent time being just a week ago when the 75D was killed. Surely, THIS TIME it was a prelude to the imminent introduction of a 2170 pack! Over and over that was asserted.... surely, no other explanation!

Once people get the notion that something is "the future" stuck in their head, the concept of anything else continuing to be used seems incomprehensible to them and it drowns out all counterarguments.

This may happen at somepoint significantly further in the future. But it won't be happening any time soon.
Over and over, I see you telling people that they shouldn't be discussing things that they want to discuss, because it's been discussed. You used that reasoning on me several times.

I'd like to humbly submit that 1. you are not in charge of what others can and cannot discuss, and 2. reading every post is not requirement to participate on this forum, so not everyone will be up to date on all discussions.

Thank you

Really? Where do you get that low number from? About 41% of the Model Ss sold in Norway are Performance versions. (They have sold ~8k Performance Model Ss just in Norway in ~6 years. So almost 1k year just in Norway.) However it is only ~5% of the Model Xs.

Troy's survey data, also only 255 S100D Ps sold in Norway since it was launched c.2 years ago, and it has been the only S performance model available for the last 18 months. I think P sales were much higher in 2012-14 when there was no AWD.
Margins would be way higher if P sales were higher, they make c.$70k gross profit per car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: humbaba
Yawn away, Sir.... Suit yourself...

But spend a minute going through this thread... It's really done quite well... And humorous to boot!!
But just one example of lot(s) full of Model 3's.... There are plenty more... This thread is certainly the most amusing though.. ;-)

CrowPointPartners on Twitter
How many pictures of Teslas parked have we seen that never turned out to be anything significant? Every Q the shorty air force tries the same trick and every time it fails.

Very nice revision, Tesla, congratulations.

Hmm.. I am not seeing any positives here.

This is a clear $8K price cut couched under the guise of introducing a new variance. If they had simply reduced the price by $8k for 100D, that optics would have been really bad. Because I am not sure the extended-range aka 100D is worth $8k more for just 25 mile additional range. So I would guess a huge % of sales will be this newer one with reduced price.

And this is especially obvious because the hardware is the same. So the cost to produce is the same. They are simply losing $8k in the hope that this would increase sales. And I am guessing sometime in the future they would open up additional range for anyone who cares for the extra 25 miles, for something like $4k.

Don't get me wrong, this is the right progression of price to performance one should expect in a fast evolving technology. And Tesla is adapting to it.

If I may speculate slightly wildly on the Saudi Arabia collar hedge:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Saudi PIF’s original purchase of shares included leverage - most likely a “single stock margined equity loan”, which have become more common in recent years for largish block stakes than you might assume.

Such loans tend to have a step out option every 6-months for the lender. The share purchase was announced on 7th August, a little less than 6-months ago. So the timing fits perfectly.

If this is what happened, it is perfectly conceivable the lender became nervous about:
a) the borrower’s ability to meet a future margin call,
b) difficulty in hedging the risk / selling the shares without a loss if the stock tanks. TSLA’s volatility has been quite splendid since August, certainly enough to make a competent credit committee nervous.

Equally, the bank may have made a strategic decision to disengage with the particular borrower. Given macro and Saudi specific events of the past 6-months, one could easily understand a Wall St bank preferring for now to fall back on advisory business, rather than fairly risky concentrated lending with Saudi.

A zero cost collar would likely be the preferred de-risking strategy of the lender so as to cause minimal disruption to the stock price (I.e. collateral value), and would also earn handsome fees.

So in summary, this news might say more about Saudi Arabia’s credit quality than it does Tesla’s.

All you have to do is poke around on Twitter a bit, and you'll see PLENTY of on-site visual reports - with pictures - of the growing number of full lots of Model 3's all around the country...
And those cars are just sitting....during Winter (below freezing, M3 battery-killing winter, I might add)...

Wrong, cold temperatures preserve battery life. You just can’t get much energy out of them when they’re cold. I suspect your other claims are wrong too.

Hmm.. I am not seeing any positives here.

This is a clear $8K price cut couched under the guise of introducing a new variance. If they had simply reduced the price by $8k for 100D, that optics would have been really bad. Because I am not sure the extended-range aka 100D is worth $8k more for just 25 mile additional range. So I would guess a huge % of sales will be this newer one with reduced price.

And this is especially obvious because the hardware is the same. So the cost to produce is the same. They are simply losing $8k in the hope that this would increase sales. And I am guessing sometime in the future they would open up additional range for anyone who cares for the extra 25 miles, for something like $4k.

Don't get me wrong, this is the right progression of price to performance one should expect in a fast evolving technology. And Tesla is adapting to it.

The least expensive Model S is now $9,000 more than it was three weeks ago ($85K v. $76K), but offers significantly more range.

The added cost is probably only about 1/3 of that. So an extra ~$6000 in profit per base model. Offset somewhat by lower prices for the Extended Range compared to the 100D.

Offering only the 100D was clearly a temporary measure to allow them to clear out 75D inventory. The main question to me is how many they can sell at these prices. Hopefully we'll get an estimate for 2019 tomorrow.

ot sure--I believe the performance editions still come with a bigger rear drive unit and the fancy contactor to handle the additional power draw--I cannot image them putting all that extra hardware in every model. Beyond the cost, every model would take an efficiency hit for the larger rear DU.

One the web

Wrong, cold temperatures preserve battery life. You just can’t get much energy out of them when they’re cold. I suspect your other claims are wrong too.

inventory rising in proportion to rising production is a total non story

Reactions: UrsS
Really? Where do you get that low number from? About 41% of the Model Ss sold in Norway are Performance versions. (They have sold ~8k Performance Model Ss just in Norway in ~6 years. So almost 1k year just in Norway.) However it is only ~5% of the Model Xs.
Where are you getting these numbers? P take rate in Norway looks like ~3.5% in 2017 and ~2% in 2018...Model 3 VINs

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba