Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dogs must be very competitive. I'd like to see the look on its face if ever a hydrant fought back.

Now I'm in acute danger of spouting laughter unbidden and in inopportune places.

Everything starts with pace of innovation and having the most inspiring CEO is essential for most talented resources which are essential for pace of innovation.

German Tesla sales still need improvement, though. I really hope the pace picks up and would be glad if you could train your critical eye on this conundrum once in a while.

As you've written, the 'Ring shootout can only help.

Switzerland is doing fine with no federal incentives and just a handful of service centers - the Model 3 is still the 7th best-selling car up to and including August. See auto-schweiz: Zulassungen neuer Personenwagen nach Modellen

China, however, has the most growth potential. Might even overtake the US in the mid to long term if current growth trends continue.

German Luxury Car Sales in China in 2018 (Full Year)
In China: 2018 2016
Volkswagen 3,110,000 2,999,300
Audi 663,049 591,554
BMW Group 639,953 516,355
Mercedes Benz 652,996 472,844

Haven't cross-checked this, but it jives with what flits around my mind [IJWWFAMM?]. Hefty profits right there.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Just a reminder about NY and the reason these numbers are as low as they are... There is a law limiting Tesla to 5 stores in the entire state, and they are all in the NYC area. The law is supported by the dealership lobby. I had to drive 2 hours to pick up my Model 3, and other parts of NY have 4-5 hour drives to the nearest store. Meanwhile, there are probably 30 non-Tesla dealerships within a 20-minute drive from my house in Albany. A Tesla store here would do great. Tesla did recently open a local service center, but they can't deliver cars there.

My point is, there is room for huge growth here for Tesla, and in other states with similar laws. Hopefully as Tesla keeps growing the dealership lobby will get weaker and these laws will go away.

Definitely need more Tesla's in Albz. Dane Train! :)

I do wonder if todays global climate strike will be a reminder to investors that young people are very eco-minded, and they are also the people who will be buying cars in the next few years. None of the people in those climate demos will be wearing Audi or volkswagen T-shirts.

My wife is a teacher, trust me her students talk about many things,they are not talking about Climate Change

Something like this? ;)

We cats have a more laid-back relationship with water:

giphy.gif

I have (vague) memories of reading that one of the RoRo ships stopped in Shanghai with next stop possibly Japan - but I don't remember the source.

Here's a heat map of global marine traffic:

ph736qdy56b21.jpg

Based on that the more probable route would be for a RoRo ship to first stop in Japan, then Shanghai, to maximize the capacity utilized.

Note how close to Japan the ships from SF to Shanghai are traveling anyway due to the curvature of Earth: Japan is in the "way" of shortest route ship traffic to Shanghai. But if they send ships with cars for both Japan and China then Japan would be the ship's first destination port marked in Franco's spreadsheet.

Note the problem of Australia: it's not really a natural "next destination" when shipping cars to Japan or China, and it probably wouldn't make sense to send a full RoRo ship on such a long leg with a partial shipment.

Anyway, a single Q2 ship to Japan in April, as noted on Franco's spreadsheet looks like the most probable answer, IMHO. So no Q3 RoRo shipments to Japan?

Unless the vehicles remained in customs for 3+ months, the ship and recent numbers reported do not co-relate to each other. cheers!!

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
It is interesting to see wework's fiasco. The reason why I am following it is because I am curious what happens to corps funded by saudi money.

WeWork and tesla are two examples of stock crushing after they got involved. It is more and more likely that they and soft bank are this cycle's "dumb money".

What I am curious about is if they will "disappear" a high profile founder who is evidently scamming them. Tesla might've dodged a bullet if that were to happen.

Reactions: dc_h