Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla stated in their first production and delivery report they would release numbers within 3 days of the end of the quarter.

Note that they've broken that promise a couple of times in the past:

Code:
2015/Q4: Filing Date: 2016-01-04 (Mon) 06:05:35 (Mon)
2016/Q1: Filing Date: 2016-04-04 (Mon) 16:57:12 (Mon)
2016/Q2: Filing Date: 2016-07-05 (Tue) 06:17:10 (Mon)

But recently they've indeed been reporting on the 2nd or 3rd day of the next quarter, shortly before or after regular NASDAQ trading hours.

LOL this vanity plate:

upload_2019-10-1_11-25-10.png

I know plainsite has come up a few times in some of the legal discussion. Beware of the owner who is short Tesla. Looks like he retailiates against people who sign up. Hopefully none of you have personal information tied to that site.

First Linked Post from tesla_truth on Twitter

Second Linked Post from tesla_truth on Twitter

There's a maze of additional information being posted in tesla_truth's twitter feed. Crazy.

Also note this from further down in the comments:

IRS Complaint Process Tax Exempt Organizations | Internal Revenue Service

Do you...
  • Live in America?
  • Have ten minutes, an envelope, and a stamp?
  • Care about a vengeful, spiteful doxxing short running a pseudo-charity to help TSLAQ causes, with their donations to it being tax deductible?
Then follow the link. Seriously, look at how short form 13909 is:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

Just fill it out and mail it to:

IRS - EO Referrals
1100 Commerce Street, MC 4910 DAL
Dallas, TX 75242

You have a whole thread of information to use.

When did they film this? The guy looks like he's dressed for California fall.
Unknown. Telsa never reveals that type of detailed info, yet you can see by context (as you mention) that it is recent.

Also, how certain is everyone the numbers will be released tomorrow? Do we have confirmation, or is it guessing?
33%. ;) (Telsa's committment is to release within the 1st 3 days of the month)

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: Fact Checking
Note how in the past 5 quarters they've been filing on the 2nd day of the next quarter, except in Q1'2019 which had really bad numbers and where they were probably waiting for Model 3 deliveries to hit 50,000.

Plus the rest of the automotive industry is reporting deliveries tomorrow (2nd of October) as well.

My guess: tomorrow 8am-ish is the most likely release date if they have 100k deliveries in the bag, or if they missed it by a larger margin (say 96k deliveries), but if they don't release by 6pm tomorrow, then they are so close to 100,000 that they think they can cross the threshold by waiting one more day. I.e. as time passes 100k deliveries become more and more likely.

Last year the Q3 delivery report was released at 8:38 Eastern Time, before trading.

What is the point of waiting for 50k or 100k if (as I understand) they're delivered already in the next quarter and therefore irrelevant for the report? (Asking for a friend :D)

What is the point of waiting for 50k or 100k if (as I understand) they're delivered already in the next quarter and therefore irrelevant for the report? (Asking for a friend :D)

I think it has to do with their various locations tallying and reporting the numbers. Waiting until later gives more times for number sets to come in, adding to the over all. That's why we get the "numbers" early, but that changes when we get the earnings report later in the month.

*edit: caught a error

Last edited:
Have ten minutes, an envelope, and a stamp?

Apparently there's also a fax number and an email address these complaints can be sent to:

upload_2019-10-1_12-19-22.png

Fax number is 214-413-5415, email address is [email protected].

Can anyone confirm that these are valid channels to file such a complaint?

Edit: this is from the IRS form 13909:

upload_2019-10-1_12-26-36.png

So the fax number and email address are valid forms of submission that the IRS is obligated to treat with equal priority to submission via snail-mail.

Last edited:

Perception and window dressing mostly - as you say it doesn't really matter, yet the stock price reacts to delivery numbers and Tesla employees and investors react to the stock price. The actual earnings report will have a higher delivery number, as deliveries paperwork is finished overseas. The usual difference between delivery report and the Q-10 number is a few hundred units - 200-300: depending on scale and on whether the quarter ended on a weekend.

There was also a certain high profile lawsuit from a deranged SEC lawyer the name of "Cheryl Crumpton" (who meanwhile moved on in disgrace to a new job at a Koch connected company), which alleged, among other things, that Tesla couldn't possibly meet their production targets of 500k/year. If they hit say 125k production next quarter or in Q1'2020 they'd be at a 500k/year annualized production rate...

So if it's easy for Tesla, I suspect they'll wait 12 hours or a day to hit a magic number. :D

I don't expect them to wait much if they hit my minimum expectations of 83,000 deliveries though.

Last edited:
Apparently there's also a fax number and an email address these complaints can be sent to:

Fax number is 214-413-5415, email address is [email protected].

Can anyone confirm that these are valid channels to file such a complaint?

Edit: this is from the IRS form 13909:

So the fax number and email address are valid forms of submission that the IRS is obligated to treat with equal priority to submission via snail-mail.

To help further - here's the header info, filled out:

upload_2019-10-1_10-41-49.png

Welcome to the wacky world of greater than 50% of all sales being short sales.

My understanding is that trading in dark pools and in non-FINRA exchanges are outside of FINRA reporting. That is why we sometimes see substantial artifacts of manipulations on days when the FINRA-reported percent of selling by short-sellers drops severely. In these cases the shorting entities have simply changed the source of their short-shares to non-FINRA exchanges or dark pools.

Hey @Papafox, didn't I see on your thread that any group of trades with a short somewhere in it is all counted as short for volume/ percentage? So >50% reported isn't neccesarily >50% traded shares, and that the % is useful only at a qualitative trend level?

Hi, everybody. My final Tesla delivery estimate for Q3 2019 is 101,012 units. This table shows how my estimate changed over time. I was already over 100K before Elon's email to employees and I haven't seen a data point that suggests a lower number. So I will stick with that. I posted these estimates on the dates shown here in this Twitter thread.
iLepWM3.png

As predicted (a meta-prediction?):
Not to worry. He has to leave room for the updates:

View attachment 440805

My prediction for Q4: 110 midpoint, with a 105-115 range. I'm not taking into account anything from GF3, which could present an even larger variability and upside skew.

Last edited:
Obviously, worried about Troy's low S,X estimate. That would reverse the recovery trend started in Q2. Very bad obviously, but would support my contention about S,X needing a major refresh to bring it up to M3 level (in certain respects). (I got a lot of blowback for this; don't want to rehash that discussion). But let's wait and see what the actual numbers are. Hopefully it won't be less than 15k, as Troy's predicting. Hopefully, Raven update has helped. I would have expected (or am hopeful of) 17-20k S,X in Q3, with total deliveries at 100-105k.

My prediction for Q4: 110 midpoint, with a 105-115 range. I'm not taking into account anything from GF3, which could present an even larger variability and upside skew.
I thought Troy optimistic Q4 number was because of GF3. Seems you are way more optimistic. I would be positively surprised if Tesla does a total of 110-115 including the GF3.

My numbers have for a long time been pointing at a midpoint of around 105k or so. I'm tempted to pull it down 2-3k due to the recent Electrek article... but then again, you never know with He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

ED: Oh wait, you're talking about Q4! I was talking about Q3.

I think I'll wait the day or two for the actual Q3 production numbers before starting to speculate on Q4 ;) We'll be way better grounded after that. I remain solidly convinced that - barring an expansion / timing screwup like bit them in Q1 - that they can sell every single Model 3 that they can make. And that - barring a refresh - S/X will make slow trends (so far they've been trending slowly up).

Last edited:
Will it matter if multiple people complain? Or one complain is enough. Not sure how it works.
Anecdotally, multiple may be more effective:

There was a certain judge in a certain town who did not fear God and did not respect people. And there was a widow in that town, and she kept coming to him, saying, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary!’ And he was not willing for a time, but after these things he said to himself, ‘Even if I do not fear God or respect people, yet because this widow is causing trouble for me, I will grant her justice, so that she does not wear me down in the end by her[a] coming back!’

Of course, the e-mail may be monitored by an underpaid intern updating a spreadsheet that gets sent to an inbox nobody checks.

I thought Troy optimistic Q4 number was because of GF3. Seems you are way more optimistic. I would be positively surprised if Tesla does a total of 110-115 including the GF3.
My prediction is not based on any hard data, like Troy's. Rather it is just simple trend analysis based on prior numbers. If Q3 comes in at ~100k, then demand and production increase trend*, strong Q4 seasonality, and final tax credit drop-off, suggests that Q4 should come in at approx 110k (within a 105-115 range).

Again, this excludes any GF3 contribution. If Troy's numbers are presently lower than this, then (as I jokingly pointed out in my above post), Troy will likely increase his estimates as the quarter progresses, just like he did in Q3.

(Using similar reasoning, it was reasonable to conclude that Q3 should approx be 100k, given 95k in Q2.)

*Demand for Tesla cars are continuously increasing QoQ and YoY, and Tesla is getting more efficient at production QoQ and YoY.

Another important consideration on Experience Curves/Wright's Law - certain engineering philosophies and corporate cultures can allow you to achieve significantly higher learning rates than the competition - and Elon has fully embraced these advantages.

The three mechanisms driving Wright's Law (R&D scaling, Learning from experience and Economies of scale) are all somewhat interrelated and the lines can be blurred at times.
The main thing they all have in common is that delivering on each works by eliminating the bottlenecks to cost reduction or production increases.
I’ll call this the Bottleneck Theory of Progress and I think it is the key engineering philosophy behind all of Elon’s companies. Elon solves these Bottlenecks by breaking every large goal/problem down into Physics First Principles and then re-writing every challenge in terms of smaller steps. This gives his teams smaller, clear and achievable goals and allows Elon to focus his resources (human and financial) on the key bottlenecks where the most progress can be made for a given number of resources. This engineering philosophy allows Elon to accelerate the mechanisms which drive Wright’s Law and achieve far higher learning rates than previously shown in the industries/product.

This First Principles and Bottleneck approach is completely different to how R&D and innovation normally works in the economy. Generally R&D teams are tasked with iterating the current technology with a 1-5% improvement one step at a time. This leaves most products dependent on sometimes arbitrary design decisions taken years or decades ago, using outdated science and engineering tools and a huge reluctance to pivot from sunk costs. Elon instead looks at every problem from the bottom up, ignoring previous design decisions and pulling in all current knowledge from all branches of technology and engineering. He will rapidly pivot strategies if a newly considered approach solves more cost/volume bottlenecks than the current one, regardless of sunk costs.

One analogy to explain the differences between these approaches is to consider a person tasked with travelling from point A to point B without knowledge of the paths or terrain in between. On his journey he faces many decisions on which fork in the path to take. Some of these decisions are educated guesses while some are random. This person eventually finds themselves scaling a mountain with the route ahead getting gradually more and more difficult with progress getting slower and slower, but he keeps pushing on, one step at a time, refusing to ever turn back. This person is sadly the most common process of innovation in corporations today.
A second person on the other hand realises he can always turn backwards and attempt to find an easier route. He also realises many different people are trying to cross the same terrain (in the real world people pushing forward in different branches of technology/the economy) and that he can communicate with them to try to piece together a fuller picture of the terrain to better plan the route forward. Eventually he finds an alternative and far easier route around the side of the mountain. This person is Elon and this is the culture he has tried to instil in Tesla, SpaceX, Paypal, OpenAI, The Boring Company and Neuralink.

Below is roughly how I think Elon has applied this approach to tackling the climate crisis. Of course every bullet here could have had a multitude of further subdivisions.
When choosing which of these sub-problems to allocate resources to, Elon will make a careful consideration of Tesla's current lead relative to the competition and where Tesla can make the most new ground most quickly. He will also be guided by a Physics First Principles bottom up estimate of the physical limit of each sub-problem so he has an idea how much work is left to do on each task.

upload_2019-10-1_12-46-26.png

Last edited: