Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about that. It seems pretty silly to avoid talking about production schedules on an investor forum simply because we don't want to be disappointed. We are all adults here, not kids waiting for Santa on Christmas morning.

It's not about being adult, it is about setting (unrealistic ?) expectations for others. I think a lot of "analysts" read our forum and derive information from here. Once that gets into the media it becomes a de facto "expected target". It will not make the stock go any higher (it was expected), but if missed it will make it go lower.

As soon as someone has credible info from inside sources, please post. I have seen the CleanTechnica piece - it may be correct or not. I also remember the Electrek giving the interior S refresh as planned for Q3.

With all the media coverage of Sentry Mode, you would have to be a complete idiot and a glutton for punishment to key a Tesla to solve your problems so I don't see this as being very common.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot, we're talking about $TSLAQ here...

I was gonna say...!

I'm relatively new to the dynamic, but some of those folks seem downright unhinged. I can only imagine what will happen if/when they actually lose it all.

Teslambert Gigafactoire will demand the latest battery technology and must be constantly updated. Sounds like a money sink...
heads.gif
heads.gif

It's not about being adult, it is about setting (unrealistic ?) expectations for others. I think a lot of "analysts" read our forum and derive information from here. Once that gets into the media it becomes a de facto "expected target". It will not make the stock go any higher (it was expected), but if missed it will make it go lower.

As soon as someone has credible info from inside sources, please post. I have seen the CleanTechnica piece - it may be correct or not. I also remember the Electrek giving the interior S refresh as planned for Q3.
Who cares!
Of course "media" people read this forum. Of course wall street commentators of all shapes and sizes read this forum. Of course the FUD will continue as long as big oil has a foothold on the auto industry.

It's not our responsibility to curate the optics of our discussions here past a very basic level of civility. It seems likely the MY may begin production in Q1 2020. I always felt that Q3 2020 seemed unnecessarily late. People will spin and manipulate regardless.

Bracing myself for how terrible they're going to be :Þ The usual mix of "inane" and "FUD"?

I can't imagine that they'll make two entirely separate wiring systems for them. What's the point of sharing the same platform if you're going to do the wiring different? The whole point is economies of scale, and that all vehicles benefit from their tech advancements.

Maybe the Model Y line might be the first to get the robots to bend rigid wiring elements or something, but it'd obviously go to the Model 3 lines as soon as they were able to if it worked out well.
I agree. The Q1 production start of the MY would also add credence to this line of thinking. What better time to switch over M3 to the new wiring than during a period of lower demand/production?

I agree. The Q1 production start of the MY would also add credence to this line of thinking. What better time to switch over M3 to the new wiring than during a period of lower demand/production?
I coulda sworn I remember Elon saying the M3 would eventually get the MY's next-gen wiring harness

I expect it, eventually

I'm just gonna go ahead and go out on a limb and voice the superbull opinion

This could be when TSLA finds a new level substantially higher, and doesn't return.
Shorty Air Force is extremely butthurt on Stocktwits, Twitter, Reddit (where they have TONS of goons pretending to be bulls trying to manipulate the narrative), and very overtly beginning to question the ridiculous $0, doom, bankwupcy fantasy. Many, many of them are starting their comments with "I'm bullish but...", meaning that they know damn well an overall negative train of thought is outright foolish and preposterous at this point.

They are losing control of their story and their supporters. GM has not been producing cars for weeks because their people are on strike. It's over for ICE.

I'm not gonna say it's squeeze time because we've heard that a million times over the last 5 years.

But it could be squeeze time.

I'm just gonna go ahead and go out on a limb and voice the superbull opinion

This could be when TSLA finds a new level substantially higher, and doesn't return.
Shorty Air Force is extremely butthurt on Stocktwits, Twitter, Reddit (where they have TONS of goons pretending to be bulls trying to manipulate the narrative), and very overtly beginning to question the ridiculous $0, doom, bankwupcy fantasy. Many, many of them are starting their comments with "I'm bullish but...", meaning that they know damn well an overall negative train of thought is outright foolish and preposterous at this point.

They are losing control of their story and their supporters. GM has not been producing cars for weeks because their people are on strike. It's over for ICE.

I'm not gonna say it's squeeze time because we've heard that a million times over the last 5 years.

But it could be squeeze time.
Been thinking the same thing.

Not a squeeze but a nice slow steady climb.

Oh, I would prefer the share price jumps after earnings (vs. before) as well. Who knows, we might get both. They are not mutually exclusive.

But it sounds like you believe chatter and speculation here has a significant impact on share price. I disagree. The dynamics surrounding Teslas share price are so big, it's going to take a lot more than a little TMC speculation on when Model Y ramps to change share price dynamics. Because speculation is just speculation. The market is much bigger than that.

Agreed, plus there's also the fact that Tesla, willingly or unwillingly, sent unmistakable signals that they are progressing with the Model Y, which need no TMC magnification:
  • they've been testing a non-camoflaged black Model Y for weeks,
  • they paraded 3 fully manufactured red Model Y's on a trailer on public roads in broad daylight,
  • they released the "Crash Test Lab" video with a Model Y mule in it, with an early September timestamp,
  • they were recently testing a Midnight Silver Model Y as well.
Despite prominent presence of those snippets of information on social media, retail investors on Robinhood seem to have been deleveraging their Tesla positions for the last couple of weeks, including yesterday:

upload_2019-10-17_7-16-17.png

Number of users holding went down from a peak of 170k in June, to ~145k yesterday, a drop of 15%.

Note that Robinhood # users holding is still very strong, still 45% higher than the ~100k users holding while the price was $300+ levels early this year:

upload_2019-10-17_7-18-23.png

But there's been some deleveraging and taking profits, which is prudent to TMC readers, as expectations are of not particularly nice Q3 earnings:
  • GAAP losses of -$200m,
  • revenue of $6.2b - which is lower both quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year,
  • probably lower FCF than in Q2, in part due to Model Y and GF3 spending,
Also, FactSet expectations seem to be too high, almost guaranteeing "Tesla missed expectations" headlines.

So if these are the Q3 numbers then the "Tesla growth story is over!!" FUD will flood the media again, any Model Y advances will be ignored and it will be a perfect time for a bear attack as well.

Sentiment here on TMC is positive - but that's to be expected after a +40% run-up in ~3 months after a brutal -50% drop to 3-year lows in 5 months. TMC sentiment was even better at $350 levels in January. :D

The Model Y news could be anything, even if we accept the leaks as accurate:
  • Q1 2020 could mean the beginning of early trial production, with a trickle of a dozen of Model Y's per week perhaps. Delays are entirely possible there - the self-imposed guidance by Tesla is to "launch" the Model Y "by the fall of 2020" - with no clear guidance on when the ramp-up to mass production will happen. @Krugerrand has been warning us against too high expectations regarding Model Y ramp-up.
  • Excess GF1 output will probably be directed towards China primarily, where the GF3 battery shop won't be completed until March 2020.
  • "I think Q1 next year will be tough.", according to Elon, and "Q2 will be not as bad, but still tough". He said this 2 months ago on July 24, and he fully knew their own GF3 and Model Y plans and progress.
Anyway, whoever is driving up the price right now, it might be institutionals slowly testing the waters again (but then again ARK reduced their stake somewhat), but my guess is that it's possibly mostly shorts covering: Q3'2018 must still be a vivid memory, and a +40% run-up must be straining on margins.

Absolutely not advice, as always.

Last edited:
Number of users holding went down from a peak of 170k in June, to ~145k yesterday, a drop of 15%.

Note that Robinhood # users holding is still very strong, still 45% higher than the ~100k users holding while the price was $300+ levels early this year:

My 2 cents... They are young. A quick dollar is too tempting. But their holdings are small, their influence over the main game minimal.

upload_2019-10-17_7-16-17.png