Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars getting their subsidies taken away in China. It already got reduced for battery cars in the past year or so, but it still seems like China is all in on Tesla providing other subsidies though, so

China to Eliminate Subsidies for Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Cars: Report

China spent $40B to subsidize EVs, most of the money was wasted. They helped to put millions of low quality EVs onto the road. Those cars turned into junk quickly. They could have used the money wisely and achieve much better outcome: better charging infrastructure, better battery tech, better EV tech. China has 500 EV startups, most of them will bankrupt. This is a huge waste for the society.

Then they called it a success with EV, decided to waste more on Hydrogen for different reasons. I'm glad they realized the mistake with Hydrogen.

Edited.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of getting two powerwalls. There was a couple week gap in any updates so I reached out to my contact at Tesla to see what was going on. While with my particular case they're having some back and forth with the city on permitting, my contact said in general he's pretty backed up because they got a big influx of orders from everything going on with PG&E in Nor Cal, which many of us here expected might happen.
Would be nice to see some uptick in TE revenue, we always assume it's a zero.

Could this start changing soon? After all, that's what Elon projected for this year. If they are not limited by cells, they could still be limited by the # of installers, so some ramp time may be needed.

Reactions: kbM3
I'm in the middle of getting two powerwalls. There was a couple week gap in any updates so I reached out to my contact at Tesla to see what was going on. While with my particular case they're having some back and forth with the city on permitting, my contact said in general he's pretty backed up because they got a big influx of orders from everything going on with PG&E in Nor Cal, which many of us here expected might happen.
Not sure if this article has been posted, but it complements your story.

To keep the lights on during California’s blackouts, people are using solar power

“When the grid goes down, everything shuts down with it,” says Anne Hoskins, chief policy officer at Sunrun, a company that sells solar power systems and home batteries. “But when you have the batteries and the solar panels and the inverters, we’re able to essentially create a little microgrid for the house so that the house can continue to receive solar power during the day.

Two things: First, a new article on Tesla's Crash Testing site:

Tesla crash lab: Exclusive walkthrough of this top-secret facility

Second, I have a theory on Jerome's hint about a change everyone would be happy about and why there is a 6-8 week delay on cars in the US:

All new cars from sometime in October onwards will incorporate the one piece body (or large portions of the body) from the patented stamping machine (vs. the old way of piecing together 74 different parts for just the rear of the car). If you see all the pictures from the test site, you see they're all labeled October 2019: A Model 3, a Model Y (although it looks like a 3), a Model X. Why would you be retesting cars now? Unless you made significant body changes and you need to re-crash test them (and send more to the safety agencies). Again, just a theory. The other reason would be a different battery pack, but I think that's more of a stretch.

I can live in the dark, but I can't live without internet. Powerwall + solar is a no brainer for those living in the affected areas. Also without power for a few days, everything in my refrigerator and freezer would be ruined.

Reactions: Electroman
Is anyone else having trouble getting say.com to load all of the questions by scrolling to the bottom of the page? I'm reluctant to post new questions until I've examined all of the existing questions.

@abasile I contacted their support and their response: "Our team is aware of this issue and we're working on a fix right now that will make all the questions load. In the meantime, you can toggle the question sort at the top of the questions list to see some new questions appear. "

In the mean time you can search to find questions... It really makes their service less valuable.

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
I can live in the dark, but I can't live without internet. Powerwall + solar is a no brainer for those living in the affected areas. Also without power for a few days, everything in my refrigerator and freezer would be ruined.

Doesn’t sound like you’ve been impacted by a major shutdown like the recent PSPS in CA.
If a utility decides to shut a neighborhood down, the nodes where you get connected to the internet such as from Comcast also go down. So, no power=no internet.

However, you can probably still get internet through your cell phone as cell towers have backup. Although, there’s been people in PG&E land saying they had limited cell signal during the PSPS, so YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster

Second, I have a theory on Jerome's hint about a change everyone would be happy about and why there is a 6-8 week delay on cars in the US:

All new cars from sometime in October onwards will incorporate the one piece body (or large portions of the body) from the patented stamping machine (vs. the old way of piecing together 74 different parts for just the rear of the car). If you see all the pictures from the test site, you see they're all labeled October 2019: A Model 3, a Model Y (although it looks like a 3), a Model X. Why would you be retesting cars now? Unless you made significant body changes and you need to re-crash test them (and send more to the safety agencies). Again, just a theory. The other reason would be a different battery pack, but I think that's more of a stretch.

Maybe, there is now a 10 mile longer range for the standard to be delivered in 6-8 weeks. Is it because of the one piece stamping reduces weight? Who knows, interesting theory.

One would think Tesla would apply the same production efficiencies from the Y to the 3, including the simplified wiring thats been reported by blogs for the Y.

OK this actually makes sense. In that short video they had a blue Model 3 doing a frontal crash test, but that was from 2018. The red Model Y/3 dated 9/11/2019 did a test where it was rear-ended. Which is exactly the kind of test you would do if you redesigned the rear of the car.

Notably, at least for some, having power won't fix the internet. We lost power for ~44 hours. Used a gas generator(I know, I know, we're waiting on permitting again for our Solar+Powerwall order because they forgot the power wall the first time) and got power for the whole house, but internet was still down, presumably because whatever Comcast node it was connected to was down.

Notably, at least for some, having power won't fix the internet. We lost power for ~44 hours. Used a gas generator(I know, I know, we're waiting on permitting again for our Solar+Powerwall order because they forgot the power wall the first time) and got power for the whole house, but internet was still down, presumably because whatever Comcast node it was connected to was down.
That's where Starlink comes in and saves you :)

That's where Starlink comes in and saves you :)

Lived through a two week power outage after the 2012 derecho in a rural area. There were no terrestrial internet options at the time, so we had satellite internet. It wasn't great, but the only positive was having some power from a generator and satellite internet to stay connected. So, +100 for Starlink!