Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Global interest in Model S and X is back up according to Google Trends (red and blue). I guess word of mouth from Model 3 deliveries is working as planned. Search for Model 3's related queries are rising steadily (see graph with blue line only) and Model Y will probably take over before interest in 3 starts to plateau. Nice.
Also as the streets fill up with yet another Model 3 (yawn), discriminating Tesla buyers will want to stand out with Model S or X. Roadster 2 can't come soon enough.

True, but I was thinking about Musk accumulating shares before he gets his compensation shares.
Plot-twist: elon does not try to get market cap based compensation but accumulates shares instead to get rich when market cap naturally follows business success. Him appearing to be dependent on market cap incentivizes oil companies to use their subsidy tax dollars to suppress stock price, playing into his hands.

AH, even if it skyrockets tomorrow or Thursday, I can't believe the shorts wont drive the SP back down below the current 254-ish range in the next month or three at some point so you can buy it back cheaper.
They will certainly try. If numbers are really good or at least beat consensus and Outlook for future production and revenue and maybe profit is strong then the shorts will just be burning cash, but they will have to keep at it no matter how crazy it is.

They will certainly try. If numbers are really good or at least beat consensus and Outlook for future production and revenue and maybe profit is strong then the shorts will just be burning cash, but they will have to keep at it no matter how crazy it is.
I've no idea what is behind the recent run up. If it is based on long term view, ER shouldn't matter. If it is purely a speculative ER buy - based on ER headlines the price can move dramatically - like in Q2.

I disagree, it is their job and they can put more pressure on their landlords by voting with their rent then Tesla possibly could.

Landlords aren't going to spend money to install things if their tenants aren't demanding it.
True, but that only works where there are lots of empty apartments to rent and there is real competition in the apartment rental business.

In the past 15 months these active short traders gained strength, aggressive longs lost a lot. This reinforced the cycle. After every event, shorts push down and make money on short term Puts. Longs lose money on short term Calls. I can count more than 10 negative cycles in the past 15 months.
Even people like me holding long term calls lost a lot of money this year. This tends to happen when the SP goes down by 50%.

------------------------------

Here is what happened in the last 11 quarters.

Note that consistently when the SP goes down after ER, it hits the lowest point within 2 or 3 days. But when it goes higher, it takes a week or two to reach the highest. In the below chart I only look at 12 business days after the ER.

ER-Q319.PNG

That's why the pretty successful ones buy homes they can plug cars into.

However, I've said years ago Tesla should actively promote workplace solar + charging pedestals with utility backup for cloudy days

The issues with workplace charging are:
1. If you don't have as many charging stalls as there are vehicles that want to charge, then you have to have a system where people move their car after charging. In many jobs, you can't just up and leave at the drop of a hat.
2. Some workplaces (I don't know how many) charge you many times what it costs at home to charge. In my case it was $0.61/kWh vs $0.072/kWh. Of course, even if it was free I wouldn't have used it due to #1.
3. In most cases anyone with any Tesla doesn't need a daytime charge. A few have very long commutes or very bad weather commutes.
Certainly for short range EVs and those with difficult commutes, workplace charging is a real boon, but it's not currently a solution for most.

It's time to panic about Tesla's flatlining revenue

It's time to panic Tesloons. Written by a loser who sits in front of a computer all day and types up articles. Elron is toast.

It's time indeed for someone to panic when Tesla is days away from opening a new factory that they built in 9 months.
With Chinese capital.
In the world's largest car market.
With a growing backlog of orders.
With a new model coming soon that is the world's most popular car type.
With a new model revealing soon that is Ford's most popular vehicle type.
With Tesla Energy ramping up as blackouts hit Tesla's largest regional market.
With self-driving competitors scaling back as Tesla scales up self-driving hardware and software.
With Tesla acquiring advanced technology to produce their own battery cells.
Before announcing plans to increase cell production by TWO ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE.

I do expect Tesla's revenue curve to flatten eventually.
But not horizontally.

Last edited:
It's time to panic about Tesla's flatlining revenue

It's time to panic Tesloons. Written by a loser who sits in front of a computer all day and types up articles. Elron is toast.

On an annualized basis, Tesla's revenue growth rate has been increasing:

5-year average annual revenue growth rate: 60.5%
3-year average annual revenue growth rate: 74.4%
1-year average annual revenue growth rate: 82.3%

Not only has Tesla's annual revenue growth rate been increasing, but it's also been accelerating. But the above article doesn't tell you that. Even if Tesla only matches expectations of 6.3 billion Q3 and only matches that in Q4, 2019 revenue will be $23.4 billion vs. $21.4 in 2018, which would be faster growth than any of the major automakers. But I expect Q4 revenue to outshine Q3 and with G3 ramping into volume production next year the growth rate will continue to accelerate.

Not only is it cherry-picking quarters after one of Tesla's fastest growth spurts ever, but it's also cherry-picking the metric (revenue). Remember how the bear focus used to be on unit production when Tesla was selling a lot of high margin models (not revenue). Now that they have successfully ramped production to around a 400,000 annual run rate and are ready to come on-line with hundreds of thousands more out of Shanghai, and are strongly cash flow positive with shrinking losses and imminent profitability, they shift the focus to revenue growth. Whatever happened to the focus on profitability or unit sales? Maybe they are afraid Tesla will announce almost break-even or a small profit!

This is an alarmist article that cherry-picks quarters to make the false claim that Tesla's growth is flat.

Last edited: