Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scott Galloway, NYU Professor tweeted a few weeks back:
"Dear Twitter trolls: ...... Tesla doesn’t have the scale to compete in a well-run, low-margin business — auto."

Really? Look at these margins - looks to me they are competing just fine.
TSLA Q3 margins of 19% and TTM of 17% stack up well with competitors ....and this is with Tesla having a fraction of the revenue base. When TSLA approaches $100B in revenue, the margins will only improve and Operating Costs as a % of sales will drop to single digits.

upload_2019-10-24_7-52-15.png

Bezo's paper decided to publish a piece last night about the lawsuit for a fatal Model S accident/fire in Florida. Family alleges he died because the fancy doors wouldn't open and police officer couldn't get him out in time. Not like that ever happens in cars with regular door handles...
What I don't get is why the cop didn't break the glass. Something is missing in that story.

Bezo's paper decided to publish a piece last night about the lawsuit for a fatal Model S accident/fire in Florida. Family alleges he died because the fancy doors wouldn't open and police officer couldn't get him out in time. Not like that ever happens in cars with regular door handles...
What about cars that automatically lock during driving? Handles won’t work from outside in crash. By this logic all automakers will be liable for anyone driving with their door locked

this is why I don't like too many say.com questions and analysts left out

EHoC8SgXkAAfdW8

A couple of years back it was revealed that it is standard procedure for analysts to have individual brief follow up calls with the company after the conference call to clear up some questions. This look behind the curtain came from Andrea James IIRC, and referred to Tesla and public companies generally. While it is not impossible that Tesla has changed their policy on this, I think the statement in that note was likely an intellectually dishonest one (though perhaps an expression of emotionally feeling ~genuinely irked at not having a turn during the conference call itself).

Guys,

I feel like there is some confusion around the 3-5% power improvements statement. Some media outlets and some of our forum members understood it as 3-5% performance improvement. I understood it as efficiency/range improvement given the context of the discussion. What do you think?
Here is the entire transcript and below is the relevant part:

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director

I mean, Model S -- basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Drew Baglino -- Chief Technology Officer

Yeah, we just continue to learn how to optimize the motor control in our products. And yeah, so 5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for S and X.

Yeah, and there's also the single pedal driving that will improve the range as well.

Very excited about that. It's an improvement in comfort and feel.

Yeah, it's easier to drive. And it improves the range.

Yes. And faster super charging.

Faster super charging, yeah.

For Standard Range and Standard Range Plus customers, which is a big deal.

My take on the GF3 photos:

The stamping press is on another level. This is what they have at Freemont:
maxresdefault.jpg
What do you mean, ‘on another level’? Like on the second floor? Or are you suggesting that the press line in GF3 is superior to the Schuler line in Fremont, which was specifically built for Tesla by the premiere press building company on the planet?

Last edited:

Don't all police officers carry a specialized tool to break automotive glass?

This is second best option when Fire Department and jaws-of-life is not available.

Reactions: madodel
Guys,

I feel like there is some confusion around the 3-5% power improvements statement. Some media outlets and some of our forum members understood it as 3-5% performance improvement. I understood it as efficiency/range improvement given the context of the discussion. What do you think?
Here is the entire transcript and below is the relevant part:

I mean, Model S -- basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Yeah, we just continue to learn how to optimize the motor control in our products. And yeah, so 5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for S and X.

Yeah, and there's also the single pedal driving that will improve the range as well.

Very excited about that. It's an improvement in comfort and feel.

Yeah, it's easier to drive. And it improves the range.

Yes. And faster super charging.

Faster super charging, yeah.

For Standard Range and Standard Range Plus customers, which is a big deal.

If the power improvement would mean a range improvement, then I think these two sentences would not have had the word 'also' in it:

"And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power..."

Reactions: kbM3