Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla starts selling China-made Model 3 with autopilot function

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Tesla’s China-Made Cars Won’t Be Much Cheaper Than Imported Ones

"Deliveries of the locally made variants with Autopilot will begin in the first quarter of 2020, the company said in a statement in China. The cheapest imported Model 3s, without Autopilot, have been selling for about $51,500 in China, while in the U.S. the model’s starting price is about $39,000...

Tesla could also sell some early versions of China-made Model 3s that don’t have Autopilot, though it hasn’t disclosed the exact timing or pricing for those. The company said it plans to phase out models without Autopilot in China and no longer takes orders for such variants."

Oh wow, so:
  • bundling a driver assistance feature formerly sold for $3,000,
  • plus qualifying for ~$3,500 worth of Chinese domestic EV incentives
... is "Not much cheaper"??

There's "lies", "big lies", "mindbogglingly big lies", and then there are also "Bloomberg articles about Tesla". :D

OT and misuse of statistics:
Those numbers are accidents per million registered vehicles. Not fatalites per accident nor fatalities per million miles driven nor anything scaled to show overal safety.

Look at the trend: low MPG:pickup: SUV/ minivan: sedan: high MPG. Which type is used for commuting long distances? Which type is used by contractors/ farmers/ businesses for job site support? The top vehicle in the very large segment was an F-350 crew cab 4WD, how many high speed highway miles is that going to see?

It also ignores driving acumen vs vehicle type (which type are new drivers more likely to have?)
15-20 year old drivers were involved in 9% of fatal crashes, 65 and over were involved in 18%. What is their vehicle mix?

Overall, 2016 fatality rate was 1.16 per 100 million miles traveled. Extrapolate that to miles driven given fatalities per car. Vehicle mix for fatalities 2016 is attached.
Type of driving:
Table VM-1 - Highway Statistics 2016 - Policy | Federal Highway Administration

Actually, according to IIHS Pickups did better than average with a rate of 26 death per million vehicles registered, SUVs rated 21 and minivans rated 19, which was lowest mark among vehicles classified as light trucks. Passenger cars logged the highest fatality rate with 39.

There are more than one type of crash. In the real world trucks do quite well.
View attachment 469821

Attachments

• 2016 Summary of Motor Vehicle Crashes.pdf
    444.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I believe you missed the biggest "growth story" news in the Q3 call: Model Y mass production got accelerated by 9-12 months (!), to ~June 2020.

This is a significant source of near term growth:
  • Model Y initial capacity is 1,000/week, with a ceiling of probably around 3,500/week, maybe as high as 7,000/week.
  • Model Y entry price is ~$4,000 higher than the Model 3, for the same cost of goods. This means a massive +10% margin improvement.
  • China GF3 has been built with Model Y production from scratch - introducing the Model Y will be faster and low capex.
Note that this is both revenue growth, GAAP income and cash income growth: if the $4,000 margin advantage is realized, then for every 1k/week Model Y production it's +$650m revenue (10% growth on top of the current top line), while 20% margins improve to 30%, which generates $195m of cash and GAAP income for every 1k/week unit of production growth, all other things equal.

There's probably also over a hundred thousand units of pent-up demand for the Model Y, which would further push the order book towards higher trims and higher margins.

Furthermore, Model Y expansion capex is probably half of Model 3 capex, which would give another ~2-3% of GAAP margin advantage in terms of lower per unit depreciation GAAP expenses, at a ~5k/week runrate.

I.e. the Q3 Model Y announcement is a Big Falcon Deal in terms of valuation models: for example Adam Jonas valued 2020 Model Y output at ... $0. :D

If Tesla executes well like they have been doing recently, the results will be bind-boggling. I don't think TSLAQ is ready for this.

I believe you missed the biggest "growth story" news in the Q3 call: Model Y mass production got accelerated by 9-12 months (!), to ~June 2020.

"summer" could be later in the year than June. No need to set ourselves up for potential disappointment of "missed" time frames, I'd rather treat "summer" as pessimistically as possible and be pleasantly surprised :)

Wut up homies?! Are we mooning yet? Where is @SpaceCash and @StealthP3D? Whose house is the party at this weekend? :cool::p:cool::p

All right, though seriously, I'm not popping the champagne yet. Nor willing to margin up or by LEAPS. But I have a good sized stock only position (with limited margin) and made some options money on the move up yesterday, which I converted to stock. I have no idea what the stock is going to do. Either I'm jaded or just confused. We've been here many times. It's a big move with a big gap, and we all know TSLA likes to fill the gaps, and there are even gaps below 250. But unlike previous times, I'm not convinced that this will go back down and fill. This was a major gap up, almost like a so-called "break away" gap, which could end up permanently trapping shorts below.

The stock is really behaving unusual IMO. If you look at the multi-year chart, you'll see that it bounced between approx 180-280 for years and then between 280-380 for some more years. It then had a technical break below 280 support this past spring. At this point, I expected it to either continue falling, or go back into its old range of 180-280, or make a V shape recovery. It now doesn't appear to be doing the former two, so the V shape recovery appears to be on the table. I stated previously that it would take either significant time or sig news to get back above the technical break of 280. The market has determined that this was that news. So this is what I'm hoping for, a V shaped rapid recovery with maybe a minor pullback and partial gap fill, and (eventually) new all time highs. With that said, I'm not willing to bet on it in leveraged fashion. Because we all know how TSLA can be. But to each, their own.

The other two possibilities I see are: that it's a head fake and we quickly fade back down back below into the 180-280 range. We will know whether this is true shortly. Or, second, that it forms a completely new pattern than before, where it freely moves between a new wider range between 180-380. That scenario would just royally suck IMO. As if it isn't bad enough that we had to bounce around in a 100 point range multiple times a year. 200 point range would just be hell. An example of this would be that it goes up to 320-340 (or even 380) and then goes all the way back down to 180 again. That would just suck, esp if you got leaps or other options (personally, if I bought Leaps at 180, I would liquidate them now and convert to shares, as it would just hurt too much to see those leaps come back to 180 -- been there, done that.) This is why I'm just holding shares. Yes, it takes longer till we get rewarded, but much less stress. I only give up opportunity cost and maybe minor margin interest expense.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the matter. Not advice. Good luck to all!

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Might go up. Might go down. Possible it goes up, comes back down a bit for a spell, then goes up. Or, goes down briefly, rebounds up, then back down. But it could also hover and do the macarena before opening the barn doors and letting the unicorns out.

OT and incorrect, SpaceX does NOT use explosive bolts.
How does SpaceX build its Falcon 9 reusable rocket?

Falcon 1 did.

The notion that there's no engineers at SpaceX with experience working on explosive bolts is just plain silly. People who worked on F1, people who worked at other companies, people who worked with them experimenting for various SpaceX concepts, etc etc. I guarantee you that there's at least dozens of people in SpaceX with explosive bolt experience.

Adding explosives to a unknown condition vehicle post accident in an unknown environment seems a bad idea

You mean, like airbags? Far larger charges in an airbag than in an explosive bolt the size of a hinge or latch.

(Most people think of explosive bolts as being some sort of big explosion... watching an explosive bolt go off, it's actually more like just watching the part "snap". It's not dramatic.)

As does removing any of the protection the occupants have from secondary collisions.

By that logic the vehicle shouldn't even unlock all the doors after the accident (they do), which increases the odds of a door swinging open.

If the severe collision is considered "done" and the vehicle is stationary, the door should be detached, just like it's unlocked at present, because at that point, the goal is to get the occupants out of the vehicle.

</OT>

Last edited:
"summer" could be later in the year than June. No need to set ourselves up for potential disappointment of "missed" time frames, I'd rather treat "summer" as pessimistically as possible and be pleasantly surprised :)

While they also used the phrase "by the summer of 2020", Elon further clarified it during the conference call:

"Well, we've talked about the launch time. What really matters is the timing to volume production where volume production is some number in excess of 1,000 units per week. And we're confident of reaching that point no later than the middle of 2020. Yeah, so from an interest standpoint, we do not expect it to interfere. Yeah, the body line is separate, the paint line is -- basically we do not expect it to interfere with Model 3. No, we do not expect any downtime."​

The "middle of 2020" is June 30. That's also when Q2 ends - so I'd expect a "1k/week final sometime in June" milestone. (Assuming nothing goes seriously wrong, but after GF3 this would be the third time they bootstrapped a new production line based on the Model 3 platform, so I'd be surprised about major problems.)

Just in time for S&P 500 inclusion, which might be official by May and might happen sometime in June. :D

But yes, 1-2 months of delay is entirely in the cards, at this point.

BTW, speaking of doors getting jammed in accidents, I was wondering if maybe this is somewhere that Tesla could innovate, too. Taking SpaceX's experience with explosive bolts, they could have the door hinges and latching mechanisms physically sever themselves in an accident if the impact force/speed is great enough. Possibly even preemptively, and with a bit of a kick to make sure that the door moves out before the frame deforms in a way that could wedge it in.
A good thought but it would have to be done in a way so as to not hurt anyone who was standing by the door.

The whole scenario is a bit weird though, with 6+ billion dollars of cash and cash equivalents in the bank and growing, why would banks even approach Tesla?
Because they want to get their hands on the $6+B. Banks always want to loan money to those who don't require it.

OT and misuse of statistics:
Those numbers are accidents per million registered vehicles. Not fatalites per accident nor fatalities per million miles driven nor anything scaled to show overal safety.

Look at the trend: low MPG:pickup: SUV/ minivan: sedan: high MPG. Which type is used for commuting long distances? Which type is used by contractors/ farmers/ businesses for job site support? The top vehicle in the very large segment was an F-350 crew cab 4WD, how many high speed highway miles is that going to see?

It also ignores driving acumen vs vehicle type (which type are new drivers more likely to have?)
15-20 year old drivers were involved in 9% of fatal crashes, 65 and over were involved in 18%. What is their vehicle mix?

Overall, 2016 fatality rate was 1.16 per 100 million miles traveled. Extrapolate that to miles driven given fatalities per car. Vehicle mix for fatalities 2016 is attached.
Type of driving:
Table VM-1 - Highway Statistics 2016 - Policy | Federal Highway Administration

I appreciate this discussion on safety though it might be better moved to the tesla pickup section of the forum to get other input- good points all. That said, as the owner of a f350 I think you misunderstand the normal usage patterns. F350s are mostly driven, A LOT. Not uncommon for people I know to put 100 miles a day just moving hay from 1 farm to another, 12 mile round trip and 8 trips. However, many many are service related trucks or construction trucks and these guys will put 200+ a day. Hot shots (shippers) will put 100k miles a year, even more. They are basically the taxi of the truck fleet. They are very expensive to own (high tax and service costs) and every mile should add value somehow. Our logging crews will drive 100 miles a day each way to get to a worksite. This is why it is hard to find low milage f350, ram 3500, etc type trucks. They'll be driven up to 350k miles and then often traded (unless a farm truck in which case it might just get relegated to the backup truck or tenant truck.

Good discussion.

Selling 3k-5K Bollingers per year in the USA warrants its further discussion.

It is a brand that will make BEVs very cool to a whole new group of people and in a very different way than Tesla.

My statement is absolutely true that big heavy trucks with seat belts do well in real world crashes.
The chances of a Bollinger running into a tree at highway speeds is really out there considering the type of person who would purchase one. This occasionally happens to a Tesla driver because many of them are focused on speed. A Bollinger driver tends to be focused on ruggedness and traversing tough terrain. There is a place for both kinds of vehicles. Sure, Bollinger will never sell the amount that Tesla sells, but that's not a problem. Selling enough to make a tidy profit, getting oil leaking vehicles out of the backroads and streams, and making BEVs look cool to a new group of people is just fine.

It's Tesla's business decision, but the vast majority of those service techs own and drive Oil/Gasoline contaminated ICE vehicles. Go figure.
It takes quite a few years for a typical middle-class person to be in a position to purchase a $40K plus car. Most service techs aren't that old.

I'm shamelessly stealing this comment format from @KarenRei.

Please first start this embedded media clip before reading the rest of my comment and turn up the volume:

Ready?

Here you go, in today's Analyst Circus News:

[October 25, 2019] "Barclays analyst Brian Johnson raised the price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) to $200 (from $150) while maintaining an Underweight rating."

Please now start this clip as well, to complete the experience:

Last edited:
I assume that most potential model 3 buyers will switch to Y. I have a hard time forecasting what the transition at the factory looks like. So Tesla hits the 1000/wk rate for the model Y in June. Is there still demand for 6000 M3 in June? Are buyers in June purchasing the 3 or waiting for a Y?

If Fremont was completely flexible they would shift all 3 production to Y for six months. If the optimal theoretical strategy is 7000Y/wk, then the actual strategy they will try to implement is as fast of a ramp to Y as possible.

The big unknown is how fast 3 sale drop next year.

I assume that most potential model 3 buyers will switch to Y.
I don't see why. Many people, Denise included, want a smaller car. Also, Tesla has such a small part of the overall car market that it will be a long time before the overall vehicle type mix takes over. When Tesla starts selling 5-10M per year it will be a different story. Now there is plenty of room for all the production they can make of both 3 and Y.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
In stock school they are supposed to teach you about net present value. The idea that a stock price is not based on inventory and physical assets, but on the risk based (discounted) value of future projected earnings. Based on that, ford can pay dividends for a few more years and cut themselves down to pay the bills and perhaps the same for GM. Both have a lot of sales, but future revenue is likely to decline. For Tesla, sales are small now, but have grown over 6-% for 7 years. Due in part to Tesla’s small stature and to general disbelief that they could have designed anything so superior to their own engineers, legacy auto has spotted Tesla a decade head start. This is allowing Tesla to plan additional years of 60% growth for several more years. It also means their growth will further cut into the fords and go’s cash flow and ability to acquire innovation down the road. The dilemma has been described here as the innovators dilemma. The Kodak’s of the world want to change, but they have too many stakeholders holding them back. Kodak invented the digital camera and even built a strategy to win the digital camera market. Between stockholders, internal engineering, sales etc, they were held back. By the time the stakeholders understood the transition, the game was not only over, but several secondary games had ended. Digital cameras were competing with mobile devices, Cisco paid 360 million for Flip digital video camera in 2007. In 2008 Apple put a camera on the iPhone and Flip, a 3rd generation digital camera, was destroyed. So far, only VW has expressed a willingness to go soylent green and eat their old business to feed their new EV business. The rest or mostly kodaking into the future.
Regarding Tesla itself, it has its own tailwinds. It has approximately doubled its historical production every 18 months or so. Based on Wilson’s law, which ARK has cited, they should see about 15% reduction in production costs every time they double their production experience. Add to this, the heavy upfront investment Tesla made, as a small company, in charging stations and service centers that bug Tesla can spend far less per car and cogs go down further. They also don’t need to spend more on autopilot and full self driving when the fleet is 500,000 or 10,000,000, so the costs decline again. Add to that the engineering army Elon has built for Tesla and SpaceX and boring and neuralink and the AI non profit. He has built an elite engineering team with the best software, material sciences, electrical engineering all helping his mission of creating a sustainable planet with planet faring people.
Anyhow, short version, Ford GM slow and shrinking, Tesla young, fast and growing and led by iconoclastic innovator.
You had me at iconoclastic.

• Love
Reactions: Fact Checking