Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inside EV misleading potential customers in a article published today.
Let's Look At Charging Times For Some Of Today's Popular Electric Car

Note how they use an old 75 KWh model S for comparison. Note charging time bias also.

upload_2019-10-25_7-44-33.png

I don't see why. Many people, Denise included, want a smaller car. Also, Tesla has such a small part of the overall car market that it will be a long time before the overall vehicle type mix takes over. When Tesla starts selling 5-10M per year it will be a different story. Now there is plenty of room for all the production they can make of both 3 and Y.

It's a question of ratio between people preferring a car with a hatch vs. a sedan. The ratio is at least 10 to 1.

Current model 3 production is pretty much in balance with demand. There are not buyers waiting to fill the slots of buyers who decide to wait for the Y.

Let's keep it strictly platonic folks!

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Tesla Is No Niche Automaker Anymore, Volkswagen’s CEO Says

"There appears to be a budding bromance between the CEOs of Volkswagen AG, the world’s largest automaker, and Tesla Inc., the electric-car company suddenly back on the ascent.

At an event where VW was presenting the new Golf hatchback late Thursday, Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess quibbled with reporters who suggested Tesla is in trouble because it’s too small."
Wild speculation. Diess gets fired from VW. Elon finally gets the opportunity to place a CEO in Tesla who the market will treat as an acceptable alternative. Elon gets to free up time to work on SpaceX.

Wild speculation. Diess gets fired from VW. Elon finally gets the opportunity to place a CEO in Tesla who the market will treat as an acceptable alternative. Elon gets to free up time to work on SpaceX.
Replacing a capable and visionary CEO with a slease bag (dieselgate) doesn't exactly float my boat.

Elon's compensation package requires being either chairman or CEO (plus chief engineer or something like that)

I assume that most potential model 3 buyers will switch to Y. I have a hard time forecasting what the transition at the factory looks like. So Tesla hits the 1000/wk rate for the model Y in June. Is there still demand for 6000 M3 in June? Are buyers in June purchasing the 3 or waiting for a Y?

If Fremont was completely flexible they would shift all 3 production to Y for six months. If the optimal theoretical strategy is 7000Y/wk, then the actual strategy they will try to implement is as fast of a ramp to Y as possible.

The big unknown is how fast 3 sale drop next year.

It’s almost like you didn’t listen to the ER call where Tesla SPECIFICALLY answered an analyst asking the ‘How much will Y cannibalize the 3 sales?’

Hint: We expect no cannibalization of 3 by Y. *Elon chuckle* In fact, when X was introduced, S interest increased. We’re expecting the same thing to happen when Y is introduced.

Falcon 1 did.

The notion that there's no engineers at SpaceX with experience working on explosive bolts is just plain silly. People who worked on F1, people who worked at other companies, people who worked with them experimenting for various SpaceX concepts, etc etc. I guarantee you that there's at least dozens of people in SpaceX with explosive bolt experience.

You mean, like airbags? Far larger charges in an airbag than in an explosive bolt the size of a hinge or latch.

(Most people think of explosive bolts as being some sort of big explosion... watching an explosive bolt go off, it's actually more like just watching the part "snap". It's not dramatic.)

By that logic the vehicle shouldn't even unlock all the doors after the accident (they do), which increases the odds of a door swinging open.

If the severe collision is considered "done" and the vehicle is stationary, the door should be detached, just like it's unlocked at present, because at that point, the goal is to get the occupants out of the vehicle.

</OT>
The SAAB 340 I flew years ago had explosive bolts used to free the landing gear in case it would not go down.

Denholm responds to string of insulting questions... aren’t things better when EM does not tweet? Does EM listen to anyone? When will EM ever deliver on promises? How hard is it to be in charge of the audit committee when the reporting is all over the place and revenue is falling? Do you think China will rebel against EM abusive personnel policies? Who actually owns that Factory in China? Etc. All questions couched in pleasant words but ...

Just my observations...

It’s almost like you didn’t listen to the ER call where Tesla SPECIFICALLY answered an analyst asking the ‘How much will Y cannibalize the 3 sales?’

Hint: We expect no cannibalization of 3 by Y. *Elon chuckle* In fact, when X was introduced, S interest increased. We’re expecting the same thing to happen when Y is introduced.
Most people I know with two cars generally have a sedan / small car and an SUV. I have an MDX and a model 3. The point is generally in the same household one doesn’t need two SUVs.

Model 3 is a faster, longer range, fun to drive car which will be cheaper than Y. So it will continue to have its appeal at least in households with two cars (which is currently more than 50% of the US households).

I assume that most potential model 3 buyers will switch to Y. I have a hard time forecasting what the transition at the factory looks like. So Tesla hits the 1000/wk rate for the model Y in June. Is there still demand for 6000 M3 in June? Are buyers in June purchasing the 3 or waiting for a Y?

If Fremont was completely flexible they would shift all 3 production to Y for six months. If the optimal theoretical strategy is 7000Y/wk, then the actual strategy they will try to implement is as fast of a ramp to Y as possible.

The big unknown is how fast 3 sale drop next year.

So no new addressable market....just the few people left who want a Model 3?/S
Think bigger....MUCH bigger.

The SAAB 340 I flew years ago had explosive bolts used to free the landing gear in case it would not go down.

Yep. They're not that esoteric.

And just imagine the demo. They crash a Volvo at high speeds, enough to bend the door. A bystander walks up and tugs at the door with all their strength, to no avail. They then crash a Tesla in the same conditions. The car comes to a stop and the door hinges and latch mechanism split themselves off. A bystander walks up and just pulls the door right off, and carries the dummy out.

People for whom safety is their top priority would buy the car in droves after seeing that.

It still wouldn't be a guaranteed "door never gets stuck". But it'd certainly reduce the odds.

Reactions: jerry33