Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oprah has only one message to the shorts:
F3xAUKE.png

IDK, the short selling yesterday was marked at 54%, which of the shares sold yesterday, is something like 15 million shares shorted. That's a lot of shorting after such a good earnings call.

I don't think that 54% figure is even remotely accurate: if a broker aggregates client transactions into 4,000 share blocks due to high volume, then even a single share sold short and 3,999 shares sold by longs would mark the whole block as "sold short".

This makes the FINRA report highly unreliable during high volume events.

We'll know more in about a month, when the transaction level short selling log will be published. Will try to take a closer look once that data is out.

Article from this morning is looking pretty accurate.
History Suggests Jump in Tesla (TSLA) Following Blowout Earnings May Be Just The Beginning

Actually, the reversal really started the day after I wrote that piece last month. As expected, there was a quick bounce back, with all the lost ground being recovered within a couple of days, and the stock has never been lower since. The biggest catalyst to date, however, came from yesterday’s earnings. A massive beat of expectations pushed the stock above $300, a level not seen since the spring, so it is unlikely that we will get back to where we were a month ago for some time, if at all.

I am neither arrogant nor naive enough to believe that every investor follows my words of wisdom, so I am sure there are a lot of people who didn’t buy a month ago. After a great earnings report and a huge positive market reaction, they are no doubt wondering, did I miss the boat? The evidence suggests not.

102419mt.png

Take a look at the chart above. The white lines are trend lines showing the sustained trajectory following earnings releases. As you can see, the initial reaction to earnings usually starts a trend that lasts, rather than reversing quickly like the reactions to headlines. Even though the stock has jumped twenty percent on this release, history indicates that is just the beginning.

and this is only with one good quarter. What happens to the poor shorts after Q4 results?
I'll need somebody to mow my lawn while I'm out enjoying my roadster.

I've been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes, I'm let loose
From the noose
That's kept me hanging about
I've been looking at the sky
'Cause it's gettin' me high
Forget the hearse 'cause I never die
I got nine lives
Cat's eyes
Abusin' every one of them and running wild
Just a word of warning from one who once started a stampede downwards:
NO POETRY PLEASE!

Thank you all.

Still, up is better. Been some time now.