Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i agree. He's just going to find something new to whine about Tesla. Someone like that isn't going to change until they lose substantial amounts of money.
And losing a substantial amount of money doesn’t guarantee a person like that will change their point of view. There was recently a viral tweet of a Tesla shorter who lost most of his wealth following the Tesla queue crowd - sadly wishing farewell to his friends and leaving the stock market. Even in the end he still totally believes Tesla is Enron and Musk is Madoff level fraud and he just had bad timing. Couldn’t find the link to all that. The point is facts and reason may never prevail over Beliefs that someone has taken into their core identity. That’s maybe okay in religion and politics, but it is expensive when it comes to business.

I just watched Bladerunner (which takes place in November 2019) for the first time and there were many flying cars in it. Soooo, maaaybeeee?

Maybe someday. Not this year and not at the truck reveal. Let's nip that idea in the bud, right now.

It's of very limited utility, maybe jump over a row of those one-way, spring-loaded spike strips. Cops wouldn't like it because it could be used to avoid those stingers (spike strips) they throw in front of cars eluding the law.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Didn't Musk say in ER new building will come up for Y ?

Jay in Shanghai on Twitter

It seems like it's the other half of GF3 for Model Y production. Probably another year and a half of construction at GF3.

Although there seems to be two extra blocks on left side of these pics. Maybe not all for Model Y.

Edit: also not sure if these are fan renders or something from Tesla itself.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Chinese people obviously do not agree when it comes to most made in China products.

For instance, people who choose BMW or Mercedes will most definitely go for imported ones if they can afford the steeper price.

With Tesla they get the best of both worlds, the "cache" of a Western product that is made in their own country by their own people (and not needing a wasteful trip across the ocean).

I don't think I'm being disrespectful, but If I am, please let me know.

This is incorrect. The position makes money as long as the position loses less than the market goes up.

Also please keep in mind that I explained the structure of Chanos' fund and its mechanics; that's what I like, not chanos as an individual (I have no opinion about him in particular).

Shorting is fine. But shorting is very difficult to make money either for overvaluation or for fraud.

Short and destroy is generally easy and quick, so the short community evolved into this approach. This approach is illegal but usually very difficult to catch.

Maybe someday. Not this year and not at the truck reveal. Let's nip that idea in the bud, right now.

It's of very limited utility, maybe jump over a row of those one-way, spring-loaded spike strips. Cops wouldn't like it because it could be used to avoid those stingers (spike strips) they throw in front of cars eluding the law.
I guess I should've added the /s at the end but I thought the fact that I referenced Bladerunner in my reasoning made the sarcasm apparent.

Some rumors about GF3 goings on I found on T☰SLA Mania (@Tesla__Mania) on Twitter today...

If true - these rumors suggest Tesla is days away from a strong start in China. This would undermine a pillar of the short case against Tesla - that the GF3 will fail and spell Tesla’s doom.

All regions must ensure that new energy vehicles produced by domestic and foreign automobile manufacturing enterprises enjoy the same market access treatment.“

“A little bird told me that @Tesla has applied for China New Energy Vehicle Incentive for Giga Shanghai Model 3 (not purchase tax, which is already exempt)”

“Wait for a few days to hear the announcement that Giga Shanghai Model 3 officially gets China New Energy Vehicle Incentive, which should be about 4,000 US dollars for Model 3
This is 2nd time

“CCTV covers #GF3. Phase 1 project is only 1/3 of the total site space. The last one is Phase 3 expected to be completed by 2021. Acceptance process is being expedited by special joint task team authorized by local govt agency. Mass production will start in Dec”

As for the timing of the (highly) potential official announcement, my best guess is around mid November judging from the past, as qualified models are updated every month by the authorities (all before the 16 of the month, some as early as the 8th day of the month).

Didn't Musk say in ER new building will come up for Y ?

Edit: you are right, see @MP3Mike's reply below.

I'm not sure he said that - can you quote that part?

In Fremont they are sharing the Model 3's GA3 with Model Y general assembly - wouldn't they be using a similar approach in China too?

The advantage is that they'd be able to split assembly capacity between the 3 and the Y dynamically, based on demand and consumer preferences.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
From the Q3 call:

Martin Viecha -- Senior Director, Investor Relations Okay. The second question, we've already answered regarding Model Y delivery. So we'll jump to the third question from Craig. News reports suggest that Gigafactory may already be producing Model 3s for Chinese market. Could you please update us on the production expectations for Giga 3? And confirm purpose of the second building now being built. Is that for battery production as suggested by some press outlets?

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director Yeah, we're in trial production of Model 3, basically sending cars through the system, and we're ramping rapidly. We're expecting to hit volume production in a few months essentially. The second building is indeed for battery and module production. And there's probably -- there's obviously a bunch more construction beyond what is already there because obviously we need to build out more facilities for Model Y production at Shanghai as well.

In Fremont they are sharing the Model 3's GA3 with Model Y general assembly - wouldn't they be using a similar approach in China too?

The advantage is that they'd be able to split assembly capacity between the 3 and the Y dynamically, based on demand and consumer preferences.

Can you provide a quote for where they are sharing GA between Model 3 and Model Y? I was sure they said they were building Model Y separately.

In the conference call just after the 30 minute mark Elon talks about the new battery/module building, but he also says there is going to be a bunch more construction than that at GF3 for Model Y.

That would seem to imply that there is a lot more to come than the structures they have built now. It's a bit of reading the tea leaves, but it doesn't sound like he's talking about the existing structure.

Shorting is fine. But shorting is very difficult to make money either for overvaluation or for fraud.

Short and destroy is generally easy and quick, so the short community evolved into this approach. This approach is illegal but usually very difficult to catch.
The basic problem is the underlying laissez-faire ideology - one of "self-regulation". In a industry with the only goal of making money why would self-regulation work ?

SEC should be catching frauds, not outsource it to "markets" - with shorting as the mechanism. If anyone has a good faith fraud tip, they should be able to send to SEC which actually investigates and catches frauds. You can't enable a mechanism ripe for misuse instead of actually enforcing regulation. Private industry likes "self-regulation" precisely because it allows them to bend the rules to make more money.

Chinese people obviously do not agree when it comes to most made in China products.

For instance, people who choose BMW or Mercedes will most definitely go for imported ones if they can afford the steeper price.
Keep in mind that at the moment ALL BMW suv's are produced only in the USA. That is obviously subject to change, and certainly will given the Trump administration posture.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking