Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California is changing their vehicle buying policy to only OEMs that support CARB standards (which excludes General Motors, Fiat Chrysler (FCAU), Toyota (TM) and Nissan (NSANF)) , and limiting sedan purchases to BEV or hybrid. (safety vehicle can be pure ICE)

California won't buy GM, Chrysler or Toyota cars because they sided with Trump on emissions fight - CNN

I love this line: "Removing vehicles like the Chevy Bolt and prohibiting GM and other manufacturers from consideration will dramatically reduce California's choices for affordable, American-made electric vehicles and limit its ability to reach its goal of minimizing the state government's carbon footprint, a goal that GM shares," GM said in a statement. "GM is committed to an all-electric future which is why we support California's initiative to electrify their fleet."

Sooooooo EV sales in Cali will drop by like 100 a month? Oh the terror!!!

:rolleyes:

Rachel Maddow, darling of the left and MSNBC drives a Ford pickup.

It's long been known that most liberals don't put their money where their mouths are (which is probably a general human trait). When conservatives tell me that the only people buying Tesla cars are liberals because they want to save the environment (implying that they over pay for an inferior car just to help the environment), I first laugh, and then straighten them out.

I love this line: "Removing vehicles like the Chevy Bolt and prohibiting GM and other manufacturers from consideration will dramatically reduce California's choices for affordable, American-made electric vehicles and limit its ability to reach its goal of minimizing the state government's carbon footprint, a goal that GM shares," GM said in a statement. "GM is committed to an all-electric future which is why we support California's initiative to electrify their fleet."

Sooooooo EV sales in Cali will drop by like 100 a month? Oh the terror!!!

If only there were another option for affordable American-made electric vehicles. Perhaps one with a manufacturing facility in California?

If only there were another option for affordable American-made electric vehicles. Perhaps one with a manufacturing facility in California?

Seriously, the CA government should just modernize their whole fleet to Model 3's and Model Y's.

It's a win win as the money spent just goes back to California jobs and companies.

The only issue with that concept is that EVs made by traditional car-makers will either have poorer performance than the equivalent ICE model sold by the same car-maker, or they will be more expensive, so as to not cannibalise their ICE lineup. However, EVs will become a mainstream option, and so the pie would get exponentially bigger! S-curve, y'all!

The Mustang Mach E GT will blow away the Mustang GT in acceleration. Once these things reach the lot, a lot of guys test driving the Mustang GT will be intrigued enough with the Mach E GT to at least take it on a test drive to see what all the hype is about. That's when they get to see just how much better an EV is than an ICEV.

Phil LeBeau described the Ford Mustang Mach-E as a Tesla competitor, before Tim Seymour spent much time trying to explain his Tesla short position. :rolleyes:

CNBC Fast Money - video half hour ago: The electric car wars are gaining speed as Ford unveils New Mustang MU

If Tim’s message to his fellow shorts is that if TSLA roars to $370, then he’s out. Now imagine that if you’re a short. One of your most ardent leader is capitulating on television, conceding that he may have lost, and his body language (leg shaking) says it all. I wonder if this is a self fulfilling prophecy where Tim’s fellow shorts start to think, I’m not waiting till $370 to bail, I’m bailing now before you do, Tim. I wonder if this has anything to do with today’s price action? The short thesis is crumbling so fast that CNBC did a short covering segment 101 for its viewers. WOW!

Last edited:
Is this a thing?
Yup. Vanna White never said anything and had everyone loving her. The phenomenon is the same in wondering why candidates don't reveal their plans... the more neutral you can be, the higher your acceptance, with silence at the top.

So the moment the truck is revealed, the overall average of impressions will likely drop (assuming this same effect here). There will be something not to like for many. But right now, it's still the perfect truck, sight unseen. I think it will be black, but what if it's white, lol?

Four possibilities:
- News we haven't seen yet
- Short covering (would be retail shorts as a big player would get out more elegantly)
- Accumulation (also seems too fast for a big player)
- Interest in higher priced call options and MM's already adjusting for Friday

Any other guesses?

The impeachment hearings ?

That new 2020 Corvette is some amazing car. With a V8 and two seats it is only 4/10 of a second slower accelerating to 60 mph than the 5 seat Tesla Model S performance sedan that has been available for a while already and will be replaced next year by the plaid Model S that will be much faster.

Good thing that a soccer mom with 4 kids and a couple dogs (plus a cat for @Krugerrand ) in a Model S didn't pass the new Corvette during the video filming. THAT would have been embarrassing.

Can someone convert this to a youtube video? I know Tesla doesn't market, but if it did, this would be it.

The Mustang Mach E GT will blow away the Mustang GT in acceleration. Once these things reach the lot

... it won't matter, $TSLA will be at $600+ by then. It will be old news by the time the Mustang gets out.
I think it looks a lot different from the original Mustang, so not sure they can bank on their audience changing so fast.

OT question, any guesses at the future value of collector cars? Would that '67 go up in value even more? Or what about my old '63 Buick Convertible. Is it a nuisance in the future? I choke whenever I need to move it now, so not fun anymore for me and pretty unsafe to drive. And the last thing I want to do is wrench on it now.

Reactions: GOVA
my official Tesla truck prediction:

The Cybertruck is going to balance gyroscopically on a single gigantic wheel, and the passenger compartment will be at its center. it will have two hauling beds, one on each side of the passenger compartment. It has 4 rows (seats 11), and passengers enter the cabin via an all-glass bulletproof elevator. no steering wheel, dashboard, or screen. All imagery will be fed directly into the brains of the occupants via a wireless neurolink connection. No battery pack. All Cybertrucks will be powered wirelessly by energy bounced off of the ionosphere by an enormous Tesla Tower Elon has secretly constructed at the North Pole. Also supports playing MP3s via USB stick.

It's hilarious how they try to ignore the elephant in the room that is Tesla. Especially when that elephant is like the size of King Kong.
From the article:
Tesla (TSLA), the only California-based automaker, makes nothing but electric vehicles and thus also complies with the rules.

Four possibilities:
- News we haven't seen yet
- Short covering (would be retail shorts as a big player would get out more elegantly)
- Accumulation (also seems too fast for a big player)
- Interest in higher priced call options and MM's already adjusting for Friday

Any other guesses?
Buy the rumour, sell the news? We've all seen it happen before, it's a possibility at least, but it would be confirmed if the buying continues through to Thursday. It's quite aggressive buying though...

Reactions: Tslynk67