Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why Tesla might be the next Apple and Elon Musk the heir to Steve Jobs

"Throughout my analysis of Tesla, I have compared Tesla to Apple, the Model 3 to the iPhone, and Telsa founder Elon Musk to Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. What I am struggling with is this: Can Tesla become as successful as Apple, and can Tesla cars turn into an iPhone-like franchise, taking electric-vehicle market share from nothing to 10% to 30% of the global automobile market?

Tesla TSLA, -0.13% has many advantages. It is not burdened by assets from the previous domain (gasoline cars). It is incredibly focused: if this electric car thing doesn’t work out, it is done — there is no plan B. Tesla’s vertical integration may work to its advantage, as it is competing against companies that have to rely on their suppliers and their messy alliances.

Tesla’s first-principles approach will allow it to be consistently years ahead of the competition. Despite its zero advertising budget — its advertising department is an army of one, Elon Musk, with 27 million Twitter followers — Tesla has one of the most iconic global brands. It is run by a relentless founder who is willing to put in hundred-hour weeks and sleep in the factory when needed. Tesla is years ahead of the competition on battery development (I am not 100% certain about its exclusivity, though) and software. Then there is the self-driving vehicle (with 1 billion miles of data), which may provide Tesla a lead that will be difficult for internal-combustion engine car makers and even Alphabet’s Google GOOGL, -0.43% to catch."

OMG! I’ll never see a SP of $700 at this rate because I’m going to shoot myself if I hear Tesla and Apple in the same sentence one more time.

Am I the only one more excited about Spiegel than Chanos covering...?

Although the amount of $$$ involved is less, that f*#k f*** deserves it!

Not I. Chanos is responsible for many more innocent people losing their shirts. Chanos is a master manipulator; he makes Spiegel look like a chicken running around with it's head cut off.

If you haven't read the thread about the Fairfax case, I encourage you to do so:

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

Trying to force financial crises causing innocent companies to go bankrupt for your own profit is absolutely despicable, and it's frustrating to know that, more than likely, unlike Spiegel, he will never receive ample restitution for his wrongdoings.

Why Tesla might be the next Apple and Elon Musk the heir to Steve Jobs

Please stop with this analogy.

Why do we have to always refer to the same thing, over and over? Can't we just consider Tesla for what is is, with its own specificities (industry, roadmap, business model, products, customers, etc). Tesla and Apple have already been compared thousands of times, by everyone (in the media, in business school, pundits, superbulls, etc) and we aren't gaining anything new.

Just let it rest.

OMG! I’ll never see a SP of $700 at this rate because I’m going to shoot myself if I hear Tesla and Apple in the same sentence one more time.

Shortsville Times
Human Interest

Farmer develops new strain of apple.
Names it after his favorite company.

5eca8bc9-31ba-4744-b2a5-8b1bfa571aac-VPC_APPLE_COSMIC_CRISP_desk.jpg

The new Tesla apple is the fastest growing variety ever produced.

jeeez! Yesterday Zac and Jesse from "Now You Know" on Youtube mention they are long investors in Arcimoto EV's, I went and bought 3000 shares after market yesterday and boom! Today Arcimoto (ticker FUV) is up 23%! Arcimoto made in Oregon. I think I will hold these shares long.
And this morning this went up by 70%!! Back down to being up 40%. Still holding but wish I had sold at plus 70%.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Not I. Chanos is responsible for many more innocent people losing their shirts. Chanos is a master manipulator; he makes Spiegel look like a chicken running around with it's head cut off.

If you haven't read the thread about the Fairfax case, I encourage you to do so:

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

Trying to force financial crises causing innocent companies to go bankrupt for your own profit is absolutely despicable, and it's frustrating to know that, more than likely, unlike Spiegel, he will never receive ample restitution for his wrongdoings.

Exactly. If Chanos covered / covers this week, I would consider that the worst news of the week.
I want him to hang on and even double down. After all, this SP is an amazing Shorting Opportunity ;)
He should cover when we reach Kathy's 4000 SP, not before that!

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Then you shouldn't want Spiegel to cover. I don't want him to either.

I feel bad for most shorts... ordinary people duped by an information bubble and losing their life's savings because of it. But Spiegel is IMHO a genuinely horrible human being, who litters his Tesla bashing with misogyny and things like joking about how he wishes that Greta Thunberg had been raped by Epstein. Most shorts, I hope they make it out only burned but not devastated. But Spiegel? I hope he hangs on until the end.

^^ THIS. I do feel bad for some short sellers -- young people just dipping in to the market and learning, old people duped by organized misinformation campaigns -- but not Spiegel. He is living garbage independent of his Tesla short position.

Considering the time period in which Tolkien was writing I've always equated Mordor with Nazi Germany.

Tolkein was an Icelandophile (though he never made it out here). He actually lobbied his university to stop spending so much time teaching authors like Shakespeare and to instead teach the Icelandic sagas - and indeed he felt that students should learn to read them in Old Norse. His creatures like elves and trolls and dwarves are straight out of Nordic folklore - indeed, a minority of Icelanders still believe (in some form) in elves. There were still people in Iceland living in torfbæir (basically hobbit-holes) in Tolkein's time. He at one point hired an Icelandic au pair to help around his household and help him practice Icelandic - but he had to stop speaking with her in Icelandic because his wife got jealous of him chatting and laughing with an attractive young woman in a language she couldn't understand. The au pair (Arndís / "Adda") used to use Icelandic folk stores as bedtime stories for Tolkein's children - something which Tolkein took just as much of an interest in as his children. It was while she was living with them that Tolkein began writing The Hobbit.

To put it another way, Iceland probably had a strong influence on Mordor :)